Author Topic: Masks?  (Read 3712 times)

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
Masks?
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:37:12 pm »

Are these even a thing? I've heard of them being made as artifacts, but haven't seen hide nor hair of them on the wiki, in the game etc

Are they a foreign piece of clothing or something that you can't get normally, or are they in a mod (I play vanilla) or something like that?

I just have ambitions of kitting my royal guard out in red hoods and steel masks for ultimate badassery
You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masks?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:38:28 pm »

Humans, elves, and goblins.

They are SO. ANNOYING.

You bash the human carpenter in the head with your steel warhammer, but its deflected by it's copper mask!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:45:54 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Armor#Headgear

Yep, they exist. I've never seen one on an elf, I think they're just goblin/certain human civs.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:48:12 pm by JohnieRWilkins »
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:49:35 pm »

So with that in mind I'm assuming dwarves couldn't wear them?

(if they could, I could have a sort of "kill something and take it's mask to earn your way into the royal guard" system going)
You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:56:04 pm »

So with that in mind I'm assuming dwarves couldn't wear them?

(if they could, I could have a sort of "kill something and take it's mask to earn your way into the royal guard" system going)

I have put masks on dwarves in the arena, so I think they can.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:58:29 pm »

Dwarves can wear masks as well as they can wear any other vanilla item of clothing or armour. I think they'd need to come from goblins though, since every other race either has differently-sized clothing or doesn't make masks.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:59:29 pm »

Excellent.

So I can either try and convince humans to trade them to me, or make my royal guard 25% cooler by having them kill an enemy and take its mask as a pre-requisite to joining the royal guard.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:07:37 am »

If you buy them, they'll be human sized, not dwarf sized.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:08:39 am »

Ah that makes sense, well (as if I needed one) just one more reason for the glorious slaughter of invading goblins!  :D

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 02:16:22 am »

Excellent.

So I can either try and convince humans to trade them to me, or make my royal guard 25% cooler by having them kill an enemy and take its mask as a pre-requisite to joining the royal guard.

I agree - 25% cooler at least.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 02:39:36 am »

Excellent.

I agree - 25% cooler at least.
+1.  Awesome initiation is awesome.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:42:52 am »

The stench of Green Skins that clings to the masks is enough to strike fear into any who would oppose them.  And what is the layer limit for masks? (I know, look it up) Just imagine DOUBLE MASK POWER!!  Or not, you're choice.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:55:55 am »

Masks have the same Material size as Helms, Size 10 (helms are 30),  a 10 Permit Size (helms are 20), they are in the Under layer (aka not Armor), and only offer 50% protection.
So you should be able to wear a mask and a helm at the same time, becoming darth vader. Plus red hood.
Though the wiki says they can only be made out of cloth and leather, which is bogus as Ive seen iron masks all over the place.

Incidentally, is there a way to mod dwarfs to be able to craft masks? And how does the RNG work when it comes to deciding what items of clothing a civilization can craft?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:46:37 am »

Incidentally, is there a way to mod dwarfs to be able to craft masks? And how does the RNG work when it comes to deciding what items of clothing a civilization can craft?
Not without a regen, or altering something they already use to have the stats and name of a mask.

Civ clothing is controlled by the entity_default file, which contains a list of clothing/armour items and their frequency. If a piece of clothing/armour isn't on the list, civs of that entity won't make it. If it is on the list, it can be rare, uncommon, common, or forced. Some items become forced by their placement on the list and/or their type, but I've forgotten how that works (I think it's there to ensure that the RNG gives civs proper armour).

I don't know what the probabilities are for rare, uncommon, or common. Just make it forced if you want it that bad.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 10:25:45 am »

Masks have the same Material size as Helms, Size 10 (helms are 30),  a 10 Permit Size (helms are 20), they are in the Under layer (aka not Armor), and only offer 50% protection.
So you should be able to wear a mask and a helm at the same time, becoming darth vader. Plus red hood.
Though the wiki says they can only be made out of cloth and leather, which is bogus as Ive seen iron masks all over the place.

Masks are considered shaped and you can thus only equip one on a dwarf. Any other shaped objects (such as a helm) cannot be equipped afterwards.

Too bad really.

My hammerer has an artifact leather mask =]
Pages: [1] 2