Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Duchess unhappy with improper dining room  (Read 1962 times)

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Duchess unhappy with improper dining room
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:26:14 pm »

The Duchess Tekkud complains that she "dined without a proper dining room lately". I assume this means she wants a fancier dining room?

However, the requirement shown on the nobles screen is "Grand Dining Room", and she has a "Royal Dining Room". So surely that is good enough? The dining room has tables, chairs, traps, statues, bags, weapon racks,  smoothing, and engraving, so I can't figure out why she doesn't like it. I don't really want her to have a nasty accident, because she pretty much only demands that crossbows be made, which is not much trouble.

Could she be unhappy because her dining room is a mere 10x33 squares, whereas the meeting hall dining room is much bigger, about 30x30? Would it work if I assigned her the huuuge dining room, will the other dwarfs still eat there if it is a meeting hall too?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Duchess unhappy with improper dining room
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:39:08 pm »

She'll keep that thought until she actually dines in her own room personal dining room.

Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:43:51 pm »

By the way a noble who doesn't have their wants met only gains unhappy thoughts. They don't have any innocent/guilty dwarves punished. So there's no need to arrange an unfortunate accident, at worst the noble will just go insane by themselves.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 10:48:40 pm »

By the way a noble who doesn't have their wants met only gains unhappy thoughts. They don't have any innocent/guilty dwarves punished. So there's no need to arrange an unfortunate accident, at worst the noble will just go insane by themselves.

They usually get all uppity if they don't have the best your fortress can provide, though. A rampaging monarch is bad news for fortress happiness, considering the fact that most of them have high social skills, which means many friends to console at the funeral.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:36 pm »

They usually get all uppity if they don't have the best your fortress can provide, though. A rampaging monarch is bad news for fortress happiness, considering the fact that most of them have high social skills, which means many friends to console at the funeral.

Yeah but arranging an unfortunate accident wont help with that  :P (although I guess hiding the body would).
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »

It is also possible your noble dined in a dining room that wasnt hers or that was inferior like a rpison dining room or something.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:53:16 am »

She has had her own dining room since she was a baroness. I don't know why she still has this thought about the improper dining room. I guess she must be eating in somebody's office instead of her dining room. Hopefully she will one day go to her lovely royal dining room and admire the statues there.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 01:18:30 am »

no clue why you made it so big other than for estethics. 5x5 with a few expensive pieces is enough to make it good enough.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:34:19 am »

no clue why you made it so big other than for estethics. 5x5 with a few expensive pieces is enough to make it good enough.

It was 10x10, and she was complaining about "not dining in a proper dining room", so I extended it. Didn't seem to work though, she still thinks she doesn't have a proper dining room.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 03:51:42 am »

She's probably not eating in her own dining room.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 04:54:37 am »

She's probably not eating in her own dining room.

Maybe I should stick her in a burrow until she's starving, then see where she goes?

I looked at the thoughts page on the wiki, and there is only one "proper room" thought, which is for slept without a proper bedroom. So it makes me think that she is eating off the ground instead of using either the huuuge dining room, or her very big dining room. Silly duchess, might be fistfighting a troll soon if this keeps up!

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Thoughts

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:24:06 am »

That was my thought, too, that perhaps she was eating in the food stockpile.  I can't suggest why she would be doing that, though, with her own dining room available to her.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:44:52 am »

size doesn't matter too much for dining room value. It adds a bit and allow you to put more stuff in there, but shouldn't cause any unhappy thoughts. So as said before, she probably is eating somewhere else. Which is kind of strange since my nobles usually prefer to eat away from the masses.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:11 am »

That was my thought, too, that perhaps she was eating in the food stockpile.  I can't suggest why she would be doing that, though, with her own dining room available to her.

Is she in a military squad?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 07:53:18 am »

Are you sure you haven't accidentally assigned her to more than one dining room?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2