Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Real-life magma-dumping  (Read 11565 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real-life magma-dumping
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 09:24:43 pm »

What was in that bag?

30 pounds of compacted garbage?

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 04:06:26 am »

I accidentally let water run into an oil bath that was at ~140 C in an organic chem lab and it did similar spasmodic eruptions for about five minutes.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 12:36:58 pm »

better idea than garbage disposal usage, people disposal usage!

Volcanic cremation! Bound to be plenty who want to return to the Earth and all that. Also its more enviromentally friendly as no gas to be burned as the fuel source is already there.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 12:45:37 pm »

Volcanic cremation! Bound to be plenty who want to return to the Earth and all that. Also its more enviromentally friendly as no gas to be burned as the fuel source is already there.
This. This is how I'm going god damnit. No funereal, AND the benefit of allowing my children to see some cool as hell stuff.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 10:23:15 pm »

This. This is how I'm going god damnit. No funereal, AND the benefit of allowing my children to see some cool as hell stuff.

And then your eyes shoot open and a blood-curdling scream cuts across the caldera!  Your children are scarred for life!
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 02:51:39 am »

Screw that. When I die, I'm going to be shot out of a space shuttle straight into the sun.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 09:08:39 am »

Screw that. When I die, I'm going to be shot out of a space shuttle straight into the sun.
Of all the methods of body disposal, this must be the worst one (environmentally) yet.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 09:41:21 am »

Of all the methods of body disposal, this must be the worst one (environmentally) yet.

im dead what do i care, its your problem to deal with it now.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 01:56:18 pm »

I'm sure technological growth will stagnate completely over the next 60 years.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 04:36:26 pm »

I'm sure technological growth will stagnate completely over the next 60 years.
... meaning what? A Deus Ex Machina suddenly makes the laws of thermodynamics go away?  ??? Or are you so sure that we'll find even more wasteful ways of body disposal? I mean, wasteful body disposal has been a key concept of civilisation since the ancient Egyptians... So you're probably right, there.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 04:45:51 pm »

Fuck being wasteful, the wishes of the dead should be respected whenever possible. If you want to be shot into the sun, pay for it ahead of time, and have the body launch on a flight that was going to be undertaken anyway. Then just propel it away from the mission on a smaller rocket/oxygen tank.

But volcanic cremation would be a high priority as a goelogist. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:24 pm »

What are the long-term effects of dumping waste in a volcano? More magma?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 06:22:13 pm »

...I don't know.

Probably more greenhouse gasses (you are effectively burning the stuff)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 06:25:41 pm »

...I don't know.

Probably more greenhouse gasses (you are effectively burning the stuff)
Clearly, no one has done !!science!! on this. It is up to THIS FORUM, to make a great discovery for mankind.
Anyone got money for a trip to a volcano?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 06:54:01 pm »

have the body launch on a flight that was going to be undertaken anyway. Then just propel it away from the mission on a smaller rocket/oxygen tank.

Unfortunately plenty of work is required to actually get things to fall into the sun, if they happen to sit on one of these insanely fast moving rocks like earth.
Unless you settle for spinning around the sun on some odd orbit, you'll have to pay for a launch dedicated just to hitting the sun. And its going to be very expensive.

Maybe this will help to understand the physics involved:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKnwYiqlTAE

Those pyramids atleast have all sorts of additional benefits. Just think about the scale of those things and their age. They were built 4000ish years ago. Its a similar achievement to the first manned moon landing if you consider the economics, logistics and planning involved and the technology available at the time.

Dumping some bodies into the sun just seems like one very expensive and wasteful way to please some narcissistic egos in comparison (and nobody will care 4 months later, let alone 4000 years ;)).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:57:48 pm by Idranel »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4