Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Duplicated Artifact  (Read 3009 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Duplicated Artifact
« on: June 25, 2012, 02:56:34 pm »

I some how manage to duplicate an artifact wooden chair I made before the reclaim.

First, How?
Second, WHY NOT THE ADAMANTINE CABINET THAT MENACES SPIKES OF ROCK CRYSTAL?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicated Artifact
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »

Was it was a possession? The spirit of the dwarf that made the original chair possessed the second dwarf and used him to recreate his moodsterpiece?

Are you certain that you haven't just found the original? It should still be there after a reclaim. Have you actually seen both chairs in the artifact list?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 03:01:19 pm »

I have both chairs built in my expedition leader's room.
My tumblr.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 03:07:11 pm »

Ok, then i guess we cab rule out mistaking the old one for a new one. And I kind of doubt that Toady actually implemented the possession theory I put forth earlier. So I'm leaning toward it being a bug of some sort. An interesting one. i wonder if it could be duplicated.

Are they really 100% identical? Even down to the description of who created it?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:16:18 pm »

Yes.

Kacoth Bubnus:

This is a cedar chair. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of cedar and pine.

On both of them.
My tumblr.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:17:33 pm »

Yes.

Kacoth Bubnus:

This is a cedar chair. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of cedar and pine.

On both of them.
If we can figure out how this is repeatable...Imagine outfitting a military with all adamantine shortswords or something similar.  :D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »

I deconstructed the duplicate so I could move it into the bedroom, and it disappears. Oh well. :(
My tumblr.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »

Im sure artifact wooden chairs arnt that rare, and you just happened to get 2 that were decorated the same. Though there is a small chance of this, its in the realm of possibility. Though if they have the same name, mabye the Random name generator happened to get the same name, which i highly doubt.

!!SCEINCE!! If they were both possesions, did you see who possesed the dwarf each time, making it some unknown machanic? Or Mabye it was a bug of some sort, a dup bug or another? If your stuff running, mabye savescum and see if you get the same thing?

Edit;
I deconstructed the duplicate so I could move it into the bedroom, and it disappears. Oh well. :(
Yes, in that case, its probobly a bug, but still, this needs more testing. As i said before, mabye savescum and see if you get the same thing?
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 03:28:54 pm »

NO-ONE EVER SAID IT WAS A POSSESION! I DO BELIEVE IT WAS FEY MOOD.
My tumblr.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 03:35:29 pm »

NO-ONE EVER SAID IT WAS A POSSESION! I DO BELIEVE IT WAS FEY MOOD.
I love how one person asked if the second could have maybe been a possession and it suddenly turned into both being due to a possessed dorf. :P
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 04:00:01 pm »

Was the first one placed already? Perhaps it's a bug as if I remember correctly artifacts, upon either reclaiming (or maybe abandoning the fort [or other FUN] I don't know which) are supposed to lose their name and become a masterpiece with a normal name. Many versions ago on a reclaim fort a dwarf made something out of a material that isn't normally possible. I can't recall what kind of item it was, I'm thinking a crossbow or other weapon made of platinum. However upon reclaim there was a masterpiece of platinum that I could not explain otherwise.

If this is the intended effect, perhaps it will not effect a placed artifact, and somehow it forces a duplication bug when a dwarf tries to build another artifact of a similar type. How similar, whether it, in your example, only would have been another type of furniture or if the dwarf was going to make a chair anyways, I do not know.

Do you have a masterpiece cedar chair laying about, scattered with the rest of your items? Or rather did you have one upon reclaiming?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:02:58 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 04:02:25 pm »

They were both named. I also do not make anything except beds out of wood in this fort. I have a volcano.
My tumblr.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 04:04:46 pm »

They were both named. I also do not make anything except beds out of wood in this fort. I have a volcano.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The original should have lost it's name and become a Masterpiece Cedar Chair if it's the same as it was several versions ago. I think if it was constructed as a building it must be able to persist (until you deconstruct it or it's duplicate after which the game must check and realize, oops that's not supposed to be duplicated) while maybe causing the next artifact (possibly only the next furniture artifact) to be it's duplicate via some kind of bug.

What happens when you deconstruct the remaining built artifact?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:06:21 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 04:07:03 pm »

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The original should have lost it's name and become a Masterpiece Cedar Chair if it's the same as it was several versions ago. I think if it was constructed as a building it must be able to persist (until you deconstruct it or it's duplicate after which the game must check and realize, oops that's not supposed to be duplicated) while maybe causing the next artifact (possibly only the next furniture artifact) to be it's duplicate via some kind of bug.

What happens when you deconstruct the remaining built artifact?

I am not risking that.

Also, the dog bone battle axe that was also made in a mood is still named Mingkil Amen.

EDIT: Kacoth Bubnus duped again.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:21:31 pm by Slayerhero90 »
My tumblr.