Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Little Shack On The Prairie: An internship in South Dakota  (Read 5404 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Hi all,

Some of you may know it already, but in around a week I'll be boarding a plane for Rapid City, South Dakota for what promise to be some of the coolest six weeks of my life so far. I'm basically going to be a cowboy for the whole summer, living on a a big-ass ranch with thousands of cattles. I really want to try to write about it, so that will be the purpose of this thread.

So, first, background.

My dad has been working for the World Agroforestry Center recently. He somehow managed to convince them to pay for a trip around Africa, to visit their different operations as well as other research centers. He wrote a couple  good pieces about it. (I recommend the second one, especially if you're going to follow this.)

Basically, he met that half-crazy guy in Zimbabwe, Allan Savory. Allan fought in the civil war tracking "terrorrists" for Ian Smith, then turned around and became an opposition MP pushing for black rules, before loosing elections and going into exile in Texas. He also has been walking barefoot for decades now, which I find cool.
In addition to being a complete jerk (Which explain why his ideas, known under the name of Holistic Management, took decades to spread) Allan Savory is also some kind of ecological genius. His major insight is that cattle and other grazing herbivores are a natural part of the grassland ecosystem, and that the common wisdom about fighting desertification - that the soil should be left ungrazed to rest - is deeply flawed.

Sure enough, his ranch is now thriving, with waterholes and spring even in the dry seasons. His main problem is actually that he doesn't have ENOUGH cattle, so he's letting hundreds of wild herbivore, from antelopes to elephants, graze on his ranch, while trying to convince locals to lend him their cattle.

Now, my dad usually use the family as proofreaders, so I was reading the lengthy mail that basically contained that second piece with a few more personal details, and as a way to express how cool I though that was, I send a mail jokingly asking if they were doing internships. Well, my dad never was really good with irony, so sure enough he arranged me an internship.

Sadly they don't take interns in Zimbabwe (It's not worth it, as most European interns don't speak a word of Shona or Ndebele), but an offshoot of the Savory Institute, unimaginatively called Grassland LLC. is actually spreading Holistic Management in the U.S. They basically rent themselves as managers, to the delight of the ranch owners that see stocking rate rise three- or fourfold within a few year.

Among other properties, they manage three ranches near Belle Fourche, SD (One of them is actually in Montana, right across the border), totaling 100,000 acres (400 sq. km), raising several thousands heads of cattle. The three ranches are managed by an handful of people, including a full-time intern and the most badass couple I've ever heard of (The wife gave birth on the ranch at 5 am, and was back branding cattle in the afternoon.)

So, I'm going to land there, a total wimpy town kid from wimpy Belgium, and I'll be expected to manage herds of cattles hundreds strong. July/August is apparently the hardest month of the year, with mosquitoes, hailstorms and temperatures in the 30°C combining to make your days miserable as you have to separate hundreds of calf from their mothers, brand them and generally avoid being trampled, so this is going to be fun, and hopefully not to !!FUN!!.

The thread's title come from the "Intern Shack", were interns reside while on the ranch, which is just what it sound like: a barely habitable structure with no water or electricity. Thankfully they have apparently recently bough a house in Belle Fourche so we can get our laundry done and I can update this topic. Expect (roughly) weekly update during my stay there, and feel free to ask any questions.

TL;DR I'm gonna be a cowboy! And I'll write about my adventures!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Shack On The Prairie: An internship in South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:06:49 pm »

Yeehaw motherfuckers?

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:48:23 pm »

Will you ever get time to leave the ranch?  Because it would kind of suck to be stuck there instead of visiting more urban areas of the Midwest, like Minneapolis or Denver.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:33 pm »

Well, truth is, I don't really care about the urban midwest. Got plenty of urban stuff in Belgium, and no ranches or grassland. I'm definitely going to Sturgis for that huge Harley-Davidson meeting though.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 06:08:19 pm »

That promises to be a cool and exciting adventure (or a vacation-long nightmare, either way it's going to be a great read) !

Posting to watch :D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »

Sounds pretty awesome, I'll definitely be following you. You should keep a real diary too, for your own sake.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:44:00 pm »

Hey, Lucky Luke is a Belgian cowboy ain't he?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 03:10:04 pm »

Ha! I know Belle Fourche, been through there a few times myself. I have extended family in Rapid City, and more extended family in eastern Montana, so I-90 is pretty much the only real route between them (and of course, Belle Fourche is only about 12 mi off the highway from Spearfish).

If you get a chance for a weekend day trip, you must go to Wall Drug (in Wall, SD...about 90 miles ESE as the crow flies). That place is like America in concentrated form, presented with all the class and sensitivity of a Chinese theme park.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 03:20:08 pm »

Eh, you get used to it after a while. I spent most of my childhood in south georgia doing shit like that until the economy fell apart.

At first it will seem really exciting, and then you get there and realize that you have to deal with alot of shit (If they keep any horses in stalls, get ready to shovel large amounts of shit). So after the first couple days, you just kind of get used to it.

Still, good to see you doing this shit sheb! Get money, unless you are a non-paid intern, in which case just chill.

Oh, and one more thing, you probably won't have to pack chaps and lassos and shit. you'll probably be with a dude with a gun to scare off predators, and most of the time you'll be wearing something along the line of flannel jackets or a hoodie (pulling from personal experience, might be a difference between a small south georgia farm and a large south dakota ranch)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 03:54:18 pm »

Gonna be way too hot for a hoodie, for one thing.
Also, dust. Lots of it.
Also, mosquitoes. The kind that are big enough to make you wonder if you could play a game of riddles with then to get out of being bitten. Sadly, you cannot.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:55:45 am »

Well, got acquainted with mosquito-kind back in Thailand. Cannot say I miss them, but I should at least be able to withstand them.

You got me hooked with that Wall Drug RedKing. What is that thing? It basically sound like a shopping mall that offer cold water. What's the point? I hopefully won't have to go an an 90 miles journey to get a glass of water. :p

ggamer: Actually, shoveling horseshit is part of the appeal. I spent most of the last 6 weeks locked in my room studying, so getting outside to do even the lowliest piece of physical work is great. I sadly won't get paid, because getting visa for paid work in the US is a pain in the ass, and is so expensive it wouldn't have been worth it. They're going to sneak me some cash in the form of food allowance etc etc, but that's basically it. :/

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 05:00:15 am »

Got plenty of urban stuff in Belgium, and no ranches or grassland.
This.
Belgium has a fuckton of cities, and about 55% of the people live in them.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 05:01:58 am »

Yeah, we got like 350 people per sq km. On those ranch, we'll have around 40 sq km per person. Talk about a difference!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:42:45 am »

You got me hooked with that Wall Drug RedKing. What is that thing? It basically sound like a shopping mall that offer cold water. What's the point? I hopefully won't have to go an an 90 miles journey to get a glass of water. :p

*grin* You have to remember that when they started back in the '30s, there were no rest stops, there were no travel plazas and very few restaurants along the roads. And what became I-90 was the main route (and still is) for people heading to go to Mount Rushmore (another landmark you shoud see while you're out there). So, a lot of tired, thirsty people puttering down dusty roads in mostly open-topped cars.

Ice water was a fantastic draw to get people to stop. Then once they'd stopped for that, you could get them to buy food and souvenirs. I think its charm is the old-school kitsch and shameless self-promotion. You'll see billboards for it two hundred or more miles away. After seeing your first hundred or so billboards for the place, it's hard not to stop just to see what the hell it's all about. It's a bonafide "roadside attraction", a real holdover from a lost era.

We have a somewhat similar place just on the NC/SC called South of the Border. Only where Wall Drug is cowboy-themed, South of the Border is Mexican-themed. And tackier.

Pages: [1] 2 3