Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cappucin siege  (Read 2334 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cappucin siege
« on: June 25, 2012, 01:41:38 pm »

Forgive my inexperience but i was just besieged by Cappucin's monkey's, about 5 or 6 of them scattered my chicken pasture on the surface and then entered my new fort causing multiple job cancelations. Luckily war dogs tore them into pieces.

It occured to me i should then zone (i) a pen for the war dogs at the entrance to my base and add a few dogs to my chicken pen above ground.

Did i do the right thing ?

Two other things occurred to me. 1 make a hunter and have him kill the capucin's, but i don't have any real weapons or adept hunters.
 tree make a military and directly order an attack on cappucin's( i have no yet learne dthe military interface)

Also i'm getting aroudn to laying some cage traps.

Also there is blood and dismember limbs all over my main stairways. Should i clean this up immediately ?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cappucin siege
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 04:44:44 pm »

some animals will try to get to your fort to steal items, the monkey were one of them.
If yo have a refuse stockpile, the remains should be brought there anyway. Better yet, see if a butcher shop can get you some food from them. If not, they are likely refuse and you might have to allow hauling refuse from outside.

It is always a good idea to set guard animals at your entrance. They'll spot ambushes and thieves/snatchers Even if they don't kill anything, they'll allow you to raise the drawbride while they get slaughtered.

take it easy, might want to change the d_init file to get fewer dwarfs and no invaders to learn the basics first. This game is hard. Consider a commercial game that is considered hard. Add at least double. That hard, especially when you just start up

oh, and don't worry about the blood unless it is poisonous or you got an older computer like me
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:42:37 am »

You should locate your chikens inside your fort, since they don't need grass to survive. This way you won't lose all your livestock in case of a ambush, and they'll keep you fed during hard times.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:35:59 am »

You should locate your chikens inside your fort, since they don't need grass to survive. This way you won't lose all your livestock in case of a ambush, and they'll keep you fed during hard times.

Yes i will do this next time. I assumed all livestock had to be kept outside for grazing purposes. I lost a pack mule and freaked out and immediately brought everything outside. I wanted to start farming chickens but according to the wiki you must actually have a bag and sand or some metal bars.

I just couldn't makea nest box :(

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:21 am »

Make a craftdwarf's workshop and you can make a next box out of stone or wood.  You don't need sand/metal, those are just options. Build the nest box in your pasture that has your chickens and when they are ready to lay eggs one of the hens will claim the box.  Easy!! Don't worry if you don't get eggs for a while, sometimes you have to wait a bit.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:54:23 am »

Hmm something went wrong when i issued create nest box then because it wasn't made. I wonder if i didn't have the labor's set correctly. Do you need somethign other then carpentry ?

When i referred to teh wiki i read this "A nest box is created using a single piece of wood or stone at a craftsdwarf's workshop, a single bag of sand (and optional crystal/pearlash) at a glass furnace or magma glass furnace, or a single bar of metal at a metalsmith's forge or magma forge. "

the second part of the 1st sentence suggests an additional component is essential being sand or a single bar of metal. If the part after the coma had started with an or i would not have given up so easily as i assumed i needed bags to even attempt this construction.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:28:40 pm »

That sentence should be parsed as any one of A, B or C where, A is "a single piece of wood or stone at a craftsdwarf's workshop," B is "a single bag of sand (and optional crystal/pearlash) at a glass furnace or magma glass furnace," and C is "a single bar of metal at a metalsmith's forge or magma forge."

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 04:42:06 pm »

Hmm something went wrong when i issued create nest box then because it wasn't made. I wonder if i didn't have the labor's set correctly. Do you need somethign other then carpentry ?

I think nestboxes, and other craftsdwarf-workshop-wood items are woodcrafting, not carpentry. Carpentry is building constructions, bridges etc. out of wood, and stuff made at a carpenter's workshop.

Not all animals graze. Birds, pigs, dogs, cats and all carnivores are examples. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pasture has a list of grazers and approximations for how much grass (how big pastures) they need.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 08:38:30 pm »

It is usually advisable to build a moat or wall around your outside plots, pens, pastures, etc.
This way only fliers can enter.

Oh and dwarf fortress is not that hard, nethack for example is way harder. With a little reading of the newbie guide and the wiki it's easy to survive even with your first fortress.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:57 am »

Yeah, for instance my very first fortress is still running, over 200 dwarves, immense wealth and unpenetrable defences. The only thing that's wrong with it is my foolish architechtural designs, for instance all my hallways are way too narrow. And my stockpiles are a mess. And some other stuff.