Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mining!  (Read 1872 times)

Fevgatos21

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mining!
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:30:47 am »

Well, uh. I press d, select enter, pick a point, then select the other side.

Nothing happens. Please, help!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:34:47 am »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Fevgatos21

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:40:28 am »

I know how to mine, but that is not really working.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:57:49 am »

*You may not have any picks.
*You may not have any dorfs with mining labor enabled.
*You may not have access to the area. Did you dig channels down, or are you tryin to dig sideways into a hill?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:59:12 am »

I know how to mine, but that is not really working.

~Mining checklist~

1: Is there a dwarf with the mining labor enabled?
2: Is a pickaxe accessible by the aforementioned dwarf?
3: Has a mining location been planned using Designations > Dig > enter > move yellow cursor > enter again
3a: Is the mining location accessible by the aforementioned pick-armed dwarf?

If you said yes to all of these, you're well on your way to building a proper fortress!

If you said no, rectify the problem and re-check the list. Continue until successful mining operations begin.

PS: Ninja'd. Dammit!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:24 am »

Your (OP's) post confuses me.  Do I take from the "nothing happens" that you're not even getting any "mining designation marks"?

At what point does "nothing happen"?  (IYSWIM.)

If it's a bug of some kind (i.e. you do know how to mine, but what has always worked for you is now not working), some more details would also be appreciated, no doubt.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »

Sounds like you have messed up your key mappings, or forgot to turn off your caps lock.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 01:40:44 pm »

Sounds like it's also possible you're trying to dig out something that isn't there, or your dwarves can't reach it. If you are on the top layer of an embark, you need to dig a downward stairway before you can start mining out a lower level.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:11 pm »

Assuming that you're seeing the area designated for mining, but it's not getting mined out, in addition to Azated's above requirements, also make sure that the designated area is not outside any burrow you have, if you have burrows enabled.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 04:34:43 pm »

actually, from the OP:

you press d. diggin (mining) is selected by default. DO NOT PRESS ENTER

you change the task with the correct keys

if you press enter, then enter, you select basically no area for digging. If you want to be sure, press (d),(d), enter, move the mark to the other side, enter
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 04:58:39 pm »

A couple of small corrections to that...

"Mining", as in (d)(d), is default after just the (d), unless some condition (I think that condition being "the cursor is not underground", but ICBW) makes the default "Tree-felling", aka that which is explicitly (d)(t) if you wish to force that, instead of mining, or switch back to it after some (d)(p)lant gathering or similar.

Secondly, if you have it correctly set to be a mining designation (or, indeed, any other one that applies to the square under the current cursor position) <enter><enter> will make a one-tile assignment at that spot if applicable.  Essentially that's <enter><no-cursoring><enter> for a 1x1(x1) total designated tiles, where <enter><cursoring><enter> sets two diagonally-opposite corners of a rectangle.  (Or, now that we have cross-Z designations, two doubly-diagonally-opposite corners of a cuboid.)

I still have the horrible feeling that OP is trying to mine on open ground (where (d)esignating a (c)hannel would be successful), although I must still take the comment "I know how to mine" at face-value.  But that leaves me still wondering which particular "nothing" it is that is happening.  It could be anything from not getting mining designations to appear on the map (because of not designating solid rock, but above-ground/on ramps/whatever) through to just not getting the (successful) marked designations fulfilled, as others read the problem as being, perhaps because there's no stairs or ramps or drift-mine-into-the-side-of-the-hill access into the area.  Or (perhaps most exciting of all!) some strange bug where the (d)(d)<cursor to somewhere that you can dig><enter><cursor somewhere else><enter> combination isn't actually 'painting' the scene.  Or a variant on that issue.

The bit where he says "{I} pick a point" might involve mouse-clicking, except that (where digging is viable) that's an even surer way of getting a digging designation set up, at least with default DF, although I think you can mess about with the INITs and stop that happening, or something.  (ISTR, BICBW.)

OP: Please, is it working now?  Is any of our advice helping?  Are we just confusing you with so much information about every single possible problem that you might be having except the one you actually have?  I'm just tingling with expectation about your reply, which probably means I need to go and lie down in a dark room, or something, but there you go...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 05:11:14 pm »

A couple of small corrections to that...

"Mining", as in (d)(d), is default after just the (d), unless some condition (I think that condition being "the cursor is not underground", but ICBW) makes the default "Tree-felling", aka that which is explicitly (d)(t) if you wish to force that, instead of mining, or switch back to it after some (d)(p)lant gathering or similar.

completely right
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »

I still have the horrible feeling that OP is trying to mine on open ground (where (d)esignating a (c)hannel would be successful),

Of course channeling is h, not c.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:12 am »

You know what, I put that first, as (d)(h), but then when expanding it into words... well, you know. ;)

(/fallible me.  Or just the Pedant's Curse....)

Fevgatos21

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 06:15:38 pm »

It seems that I was trying to dig trees :V.
Pages: [1] 2