Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sealing holes made by up/down stairs  (Read 4541 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sealing holes made by up/down stairs
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:32:48 am »

So i've started a game and am for the first time exploring deep. I've found a few caverns and unfortuantlely opened up a ceiling of one of them by making up/down stairs.
I understand hostiles that can fly could potentially access my fortress so i went up a few Z layers away from the opening and managed to somehow convert the Up/down stairs into an Up stairs. Is this sufficient to stop the movement of anything with flight or without?

My reasoning was the the lack of and up down would prevent anything that walks to access teh stairwell. However i'm unsure as to check for a hole and seal this up.

Can anybody advise? thanks.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sealing holes made by up/down stairs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:36:22 am »

*Convert to up stair*

That means they can get up, but not back down.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:53:03 am »

Make some hatches, then build a "floor hatch" over the staircase. You can lock a hatch the same as you can lock a door. Apparently hatches can't be destroyed by creatures under them, unlike a door which could be destroyed by a monster next to it.

Hatches can be made of rock, so a good mason will make good hatches. You can also decorate them with gems, etc. Therefore, make lots of hatches and put them all along your staircase. Dwarfs like seeing fancy hatches.

Also if you never want dwarfs to go down there again, you can channel out dug stairs, or remove constructed stairs, and build a floor over the hole.

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:43:06 am »

Also if you never want dwarfs to go down there again, you can channel out dug stairs, or remove constructed stairs, and build a floor over the hole.

You can just remove the up-stairs (d-z) and floor over or construct up-stairs. That'll block off anything from below.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:00:16 am »

You can just remove the up-stairs (d-z) and floor over or construct up-stairs. That'll block off anything from below.

Will it stop flying monsters if you don't put a floor over the hole?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 04:01:31 am »

The simplest way is to just construct an upstairs on top of the up/down stairs. This will seal the hole. The other simple way is to place a hatch and lock it. A grate will also work at preventing things coming up while letting liquid drain through. Both locked hatches and grates allow the upstairs to continue functioning while blocking the downstairs.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:05:56 pm »

*Convert to up stair*

That means they can get up, but not back down.

Are you certain because if i interpret the last two responses to my thread that is not correct.

Also according to this pictogram http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:DF_Terraform.PNG on the wiki   every level consists of a block adn then a tile entity on top of that block.

The down stairs compoment of the up down staircase(not sure if it's the same for the down stairs) will occupy the tile while the up component of the up down stairs will occupy the block or main component.

What i did was remove the tile entity or the down component of the up/down stairs, replacing or converting to and up stair.

Also it says on the wiki "These have nothing to do with the direction of travel, but only where they connect to and from. (To understand how stairs work and don't work, first make sure you understand how z-layers work.) " your response suggests that some polarity exist with respect to how stairs work with respect to entity movement which is very confusing and under my interpretation of up down stairs wiki seems to be in conflict with this statement.

Anyway as of now the updown is gone and an up is in it's place. One Y or Z layer below( i tend to think as Y as altitude or depth)  there is an up/down but i figure i sealed it off.

I cannot seem to check with "k" if a floor tile exists so i must assume by converting updown to up only the floor tile has been sealed.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 01:12:39 pm »

If you construct an up staircase in the tile currently occupied by the lowest dug-out up/down staircase, creatures will not be able to fly up into your fortress.

The way I normally do this is: once the "you have found a cavern" announcement pauses the game, and the miner is still sitting there on the up/down staircase, I remove any up/down staircase designations that are still pending.  Then I order 1 tile to be dug out next to the staircase where the miner is.  This gives the mason a place to stand while working.  Then I order an up staircase to be constructed on the tile where the up/down staircase is, using whatever stone is closest.  The miner will typically dig the tunnel immediately because she's right there.  The mason will come along shortly and plug the leak.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 01:16:26 pm »

You're overthinking it.

The construction (either a floor or an up stair-case) will cover up dug-out up/down stairway. Since nothing can get through the floor/up stairs you'll be fine. I've done this literally hundreds of times, and I've never had visitors sneak in this way. A couple times one came through a well and I never figured out how, but up stairs are impregnable.

If you ever remove that construction a down staircase will appear, but that's only a big deal if you remove the floors/up-stairs. Apparently building the construction destroys he up-stairs you dug out with your miner, but the hole in the floor he dug out to connect to the lower z-level (aka: the down stairs) is still there. It was just filled up by a floor or up-stairway for awhile.

Nick

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 01:40:24 pm »

That silly kobold Corai is just trying to fool you. Kobolds are notorious practical jokers. An up stair is inaccessible from below. You can go up it if you are on it, of course, but if you are below it then it counts as a ceiling.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 01:44:50 pm »

Thank you ghostdwemer, you and Nickbii make sense. And yes i to tend to overthink things. This is the most i've played DF and i'm doing it very very slow.