Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I train war dogs?  (Read 1461 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
How do I train war dogs?
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:08:15 pm »

I went into the animals screen, selected those I wished to be trained using w, and then assigned any available trainer.

I have about 5 trainers.  Even with fastdwarf on for 20 minutes, no animal is getting trained (I have a Kennel built right next to the Pen zone where the animals are all at)....

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: How do I train war dogs?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:16:36 pm »

Kennels don't do that anymore. You need to make a zone somewhere and flag it for animal training. (i) is the menu you want, I believe.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:25:07 pm »

Then z-enter. You can press w on animals to set them to be trained.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »

yeah, that's what I did...  yet no training.  did you not see that when I said I went in the menu and assigned them?

Update:

That was it, damn new zones...

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:43 pm »

So kennels are just for fun now?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 10:35:12 pm »

Yup.  I believe they generate a wee lil bit of xps for your trapper and tamer, if ya trap and tame small stuff, then stick em all in a cages in a zoo. 

I've been sticking the newly altered Kennel near the topside of the mass pit activity zone and full animal cage stockpile.  So the dorfs don't have to go far to tame the hamsters, ravens, toads, etc.. that show up there aswell. 

Just a heads up, each time you tame a vermin, it takes 1 food, from your stockpile.  Don't begin grinding up xps like this til your food supply is robust.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:53:46 am »

Okay, I have my new zone setup, but still, no dogs are being trained.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:30:00 am »

1) Make an animal training zone.  Doesn't matter where.  Doesn't matter how big.  I tend to pick one of my pastures and simply mark it for animal traning in addition to being a pature.

2) z -> Animals -> mark each dog for war training by pressing "w" on it.

3) Let the dog out of the cage.

4) Have someone with the animal training labor enabled.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 09:42:18 am »

Not done any training myself, recently[1], but I think that "let the animal out of the cage" bit is (if I remember DF Talk... #18? correctly...) a key stage towards going beyond merely taming and setting a working role.

Certainly, that's what I gathered.  Along with having to keep tame-training 'topped up', when you're still at that stage. ;)

[1] 40d, I think, was the last time I seriously did any...  Except maybe to butcher animals that were once wild.  But certainly haven't done so since they had tameness-rusting.  So take everything I say with a pinch of catnip.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:44:00 am »

1) Make an animal training zone.  Doesn't matter where.  Doesn't matter how big.  I tend to pick one of my pastures and simply mark it for animal traning in addition to being a pature.

2) z -> Animals -> mark each dog for war training by pressing "w" on it.

3) Let the dog out of the cage.

4) Have someone with the animal training labor enabled.

I have all these conditions met... actually, maybe I do have a dog in a cage...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 10:49:24 am »

Not done any training myself, recently[1]

[1] 40d, I think, was the last time I seriously did any...

It works differently now than it did in 40d.  Very differently.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 10:58:30 am »

Yup, but passing on what I heard Straight From The Toady's Mouth about the changes.  That was just to tell you all that I may not have the full facts, just tantalising snippets. ;)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 11:45:29 am »

Taming a wild animal and training a war dog are different operations, and have (some) different requirements.  Wild animals are captured in cage traps, and then you begin the training while they're still caged.  Training a war dog, on the other hand, will not happen if the dog is in a cage.  I'm 100% sure of this, as I keep all my spare puppies and kittens in cages.  When a dog grows up, if I mark it for training, nothing happens until I release it.  Then it gets training.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 12:03:48 pm »

The trainer needs some food for the animal to be trained. In case of dogs this should be meet. Do you have meet available? (I don't know, it's possible that they also eat prepared food ...)

Or wait, is food only necessary for taming???
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:06:35 pm by Laurin »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 02:40:02 pm »

If you keep your bitch in the pen, all her new pups will be penned up too.  Unlike before.  I think this works for kittens too.  Less footfalls = good.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: [1] 2