Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Ancient Empires RTD [Turn 1: Bloodlust and "Magic"]  (Read 8837 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Empires RTD [Turn 0 II: Revenge of the Town Halls]
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 03:21:42 am »

Waiting on TCM. If he doesn't post soon some of his underlings may get impatient and begin doling out orders on their own.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 10:01:00 am »

The town center of :3 will be placed in the center tile. For now it will just be an altar, but gradually it will be a pyramid to rival the likes of the Mayans and Egyptians.
A Hunter's Lodge will be built one hex north of the town center.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:39:55 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2012, 05:49:21 pm »

Turn 1: Bloodlust and "Magic"

My town hall will be on my center hex.
Build a Jungle Prowlers' Hut directly south of my central hex (Military building).
[4] Your people erect a Jungle Powlers' Hut, ready to train your stealthy warriors.

The aquilans will settle where the biomes intersect. If that's not possible, they settle on the forest hex closest to that point.
When they get settled they will construct a hunting lodge.

[5] Your people erect a magnificent hunting lodge, providing not just sustenance but furs and a sense of pride.

I'll build my Town Hall on the third hex down from the top-centre, in the Mountains.
And build a woodcutters hut in the forests south of the mountains.

[4] You establish a woodcutter's hut, providing ample lumber.

The daemons will build their City Hall in the spot one hex away from the water and glued to the stony wall.

Since I didn't describe my town center, I'll do it now. The few buildings are built in an effective way to provide sturdyness, and their positioning creates easily defendable chokepoints difficult to be penetrated by enemy forces. The House of the Council is a large building with part of it glued to the mountains nearby, mostly empty spaces serving as defensive structures in case of an attack from above. The buildings are as well as constructed as possible with the current level of technology, with the occasional help by simple magic tricks.

Build a School of Combat Magic on the hex north of the Town Hall.
[2] Your "school of combat magic" turns out more like an estate of dilettantes being useless and wealthy and practicing ways to commit petty magical pranks.

((Hey, someone liked my sigils!  :D My town hall shall be on the yellow pentagon that meets with the light green and darker green pentagons. I wonder, am I near forested/jungle land?

Also, my spot is bottom-middle, bros. Y'all don't mind if I RP the start, do you? :3))

"Sire, we've reached our point. This is as far as we've traveled and our supplies will not last for more."
"Then we set our foundations here, on the plains. This place reminds me of home, as it soon will be our home."
"I've ordered the people to start up, what are our commands sire? We may have no access to metals as there is no evident quarry."
"We may have to dig, Paladin, but set our sights on the forest nearby. Start with making a Lumber Mill directly east of our location - Forest. We can set a bower's workshop to the northwest of that later on, but we need lumber for our constructions."
"Aye, sire."

As I listened to our Commander speak, my eyes drifted across the grassy plain. Tall reeds of grass were cut, and in their stead lay wooden housing and thatched roofs, supposedly for quick shelter. Our supplies were more than this; I guessed our Commander planned on using it for future events.

The Town Hall was but a large wooden mass, combined with pitch and tar at the base for support. It resembled a Gothic Cathedral, yet without the upper designs and stylish contour. The masonry was to wait until we had made a stable output of resources.

We were to focus on ranged combat as our staple defense, therefore a palisade was to be planned as our defense, but put on hold until our lumber mill would be completed.

--The Scribe
[3] The lumber mill is plagued by inefficiency and corruption, but it does do some of its job.

The town center of :3 will be placed in the center tile. For now it will just be an altar, but gradually it will be a pyramid to rival the likes of the Mayans and Egyptians.
A Hunter's Lodge will be built one hex north of the town center.

[6] Your people take a little too zealously to the hunting and murder of creatures that cannot defend themselves, and it becomes something of an obsession.

Spoiler: Cities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Civs (click to show/hide)
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Empires RTD [Turn 1: Bloodlust and "Magic"]
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »

So how many things can we do each turn? I'm thinking that you get 2-3 Free Actions, where the dice-roll is un-modified, and every action after has a -1, -2, -3, etc. modifier.

That simulates cramming things in, and lowering the quality of the finished product.

Also, can we try to upgrade buildings? Reforms for policies?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2012, 06:10:43 pm »

Build a swamp shrub farming place north of the town hall.
Train a unit of Jungle Prowlers.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2012, 06:11:43 pm »

Build a mine in the mountains. Survey the people for combat and magical talents.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:25:13 pm by Spinal_Taper »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2012, 06:22:22 pm »

So how many things can we do each turn? I'm thinking that you get 2-3 Free Actions, where the dice-roll is un-modified, and every action after has a -1, -2, -3, etc. modifier.

That simulates cramming things in, and lowering the quality of the finished product.

Also, can we try to upgrade buildings? Reforms for policies?
You can build one building and raise one unit per turn. Rushing things along is probably fatal enough that I'll allow it- for each action after the first, you get a cumulative -1 penalty on all actions of that type in the round. You can raise three buildings and one military unit in a turn, for instance, and get a -2 to each building and a normal roll for the military unit. You may not skip/accumulate actions for bonuses.

You may attempt to upgrade buildings, but it counts as a construction action. Reforms are a bit trickier- you may attempt to reform things as a free/not construction action, but such attempts may cause various side effects even on a good roll, and on a bad one will likely make things considerably worse. You may also attempt reformation by way of upgrading buildings, which is obviously costlier and less efficient but has fewer possible side effects.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2012, 06:49:41 pm »

Okay.

Build a quarry in the mountains, and train a surveyor golem to try and find minerals.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2012, 07:02:27 pm »

Build magic-assisted farms north.
Train...are city guards allowed to be trained with the town hall? If yes, do it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:08:44 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 11:23:30 pm »

((I like your style, Irony. 
Those pictures are best! :P))

"No! This isn't how you handle that axe!"
"Swing, and hit?"
"Use the brunt of the spine!"
"No, a lever!"
"Quiet! All of you!"

I saw the woodsmen calm down as our commander addressed them. He didn't seem irate in his mannerism; he was brimming with joy, actually.

"I know we haven't hewn wood in months, and our skills may have rusted in that time. What we need first is a school for our defense and doctrine.

"You, scribe. Issue a mandate to construct an Archery Range on the plains, southwest of our town hall. Our predecessors have neglected the use of ranged warfare as a support option. Now that we have a mill, albeit a scanty, run-down one, order the bowyers to start crafting.

"Alright, after this I'd instate a Hunting Lodge, but our supplies can hold out for more. Scribe, I'd like the general consensus on whether our people prefer freshly hunted meat, or earth-grown food from Mother Gaia. Send it to me in a week or so."

He took me back to the town hall, where a man in wolf suede was standing.

"This is Sirus. He will be handling the training of our archers. Begin training the first batch of Longbowmen, soon after the Butts is set up."

I could tell on his mind that we were all going to grow accustomed to the art of the Bow and Arrow soon enough. Our craftsmen were making these tiny replicas and giving it to the children and our offspring to play and hold with.

((If the 0 food means a penalty in the next turn, put the construction and training of archers and their range on hold.

Create a Farm south of the townhall, and then begin training woodsmen to be scouts and trackers of the forest - to aid in resources or foraging, perhaps.))
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:25:40 pm by Tiruin »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2012, 12:47:17 pm »

Erect a Woodcuttery in the green hex to in the lower-left quadrant.
Begin training our first batch of Spearmen.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2012, 08:48:47 pm »

I hate to bump with ill news, but blegh this is dead and I guess I should just come out and say that.

It basically hit that fatal spot between complexity and simplicity where it was just sort of a mess. If I was going to redo it, I'd probably just make it a god game but with tribes instead of gods.

Sorry about this.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2012, 08:51:44 pm »

No problem. On to the next attempt. And Outcast Powers.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2012, 09:09:21 pm »

No problem. On to the next attempt. And Outcast Powers.
^^
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]