Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ancient Empires RTD [Turn 1: Bloodlust and "Magic"]  (Read 8838 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Empires RTD [Turn 0: Foundation]
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 06:47:14 pm »

Cities will appear much smaller than that on the map, incidentally. Not that it matters a great deal, either in terms of placement or what you can encompass, but it might be nice to know.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 06:49:03 pm »

Yes, I figured that. Just a rough marker, not to scale~!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »

This looks like a good spot.

At the town center is a giant, golden altar. Said altar has a lot of kittens on it at all times.
Our first goal will be to find wildlife to domesticate, or at least game.

Hey IO, what level of tech are we at?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:40:36 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 07:21:02 pm »

This is what I get for posting later on D:

Have little time to edit that wondrous pic for spot taking, just to note, my starting location is on the convergence of the border of "Middle Green = Forest" , "Yellow = Plains" and "
Blue = Water of varying depth
"

So, yes. That tri-fork.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 07:24:29 pm »

Right here:

An Aquilan town center generally consists of a series of arches connected to form a U shape, with a series of stone seats in the center. This is where town meetings to elect officials, court cases, and even some social events take place. The rest of the town surrounds the center, with a clear path to the center from the gate.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »

Hey IO, what level of tech are we at?
Generally pretty low/tribal right this second, but that can advance fairly quickly or in odd ways. You still need a logical progression, though, so going straight from sticks to machine guns (including bamboo machine guns) isn't going to work.

Have little time to edit that wondrous pic for spot taking, just to note, my starting location is on the convergence of the border of "Middle Green = Forest" , "Yellow = Plains" and "
"

So, yes. That tri-fork.
You mean the coast on the right side? That lower green patch is swamp, not forest. Perhaps "middle green" wasn't the best description.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 10:32:58 am »

"

So, yes. That tri-fork.
You mean the coast on the right side? That lower green patch is swamp, not forest. Perhaps "middle green" wasn't the best description.
((You have a lot of green.  :P

Alright, fixed and ready now that I have time :)) Redact last location. I'm guessing the Limegreen-ish thing denotes forest?))

((Also, sorry if I mangled all you sigils.))

Spoiler: Welp, map. (click to show/hide)
Hm. Missing Caellath's (new) civ, or if he's using the old one, his location.  :P

Unsure as to my location, if whether the swamp is filled with mangroves (:3) or not.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 10:40:14 am »

Can't see anything on photobucket. I'll take the spot between the forest, mountains and the large inland body of water. Left.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 02:26:03 am »

Sorry for the delay. It'll be a bit longer, but it'll get there eventually...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »

Turn 0 II: Revenge of the Town Halls

If you have a different color preference, just let me know. I like Tiruin's sigils, but they're too big for the actual citypoint and I couldn't isolate them properly.

If you're not sure which one's yours, we probably have problems. Speaking of which, it's occurred to me that I'm not totally confident that anyone knows what's jungle, forest, or swamp. Good thing it doesn't matter too much, I suppose. City maps use different greens than the world map because there's no need for that much distinction and the world map colors didn't work out very well anyway.

Anyway, these city maps are how all points of interest will work. Usually this only comes up when someone starts another city elsewhere, but you could also potentially have outposts or other features that warrant a marker on the map followed by their own smaller map.

To start with, you'll need to place your city center, as well as taking your first turn as normal (ie building a building, and training a unit if you'd like). I'm removing the range limit on town halls, so placing it on one corner shouldn't be all that different from the center, but the connectivity limit still applies. Note that it's entirely possible to have multiple cities per minimap.

As mentioned before, there currently are no special resources. Tile placement will obviously become more immediately and concretely important once some are invented; prior to that, they matter, but in vague ways that might never come up.

Town halls produce 2 money and 2 food, meaning you're set for now if you'd like to build a not-farm. Max military units is currently capped only by available income to support them. You may train a unit and build on a tile in the same turn, but you may not train more than one unit a turn.

Spoiler: Civs (click to show/hide)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Empires RTD [Turn 0 II: Revenge of the Town Halls]
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 07:20:08 pm »

((I understood the map colors just fine.
May I suggest trying Paint.net? I hear it's easy to pick up for people used to MS Paint, and partially opaque layers would make it easy to mark territory/zones of influence (or just explored lands) on the map.))

My town hall will be on my center hex.
Build a Jungle Prowlers' Hut directly south of my central hex (Military building).

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 07:37:39 pm »

The aquilans will settle where the biomes intersect. If that's not possible, they settle on the forest hex closest to that point.
When they get settled they will construct a hunting lodge.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:41:50 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 07:41:08 pm »

I'll build my Town Hall on the third hex down from the top-centre, in the Mountains.
And build a woodcutters hut in the forests south of the mountains.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 07:55:35 pm »

The daemons will build their City Hall in the spot one hex away from the water and glued to the stony wall.

Since I didn't describe my town center, I'll do it now. The few buildings are built in an effective way to provide sturdyness, and their positioning creates easily defendable chokepoints difficult to be penetrated by enemy forces. The House of the Council is a large building with part of it glued to the mountains nearby, mostly empty spaces serving as defensive structures in case of an attack from above. The buildings are as well as constructed as possible with the current level of technology, with the occasional help by simple magic tricks.

Build a School of Combat Magic on the hex north of the Town Hall.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 03:19:39 am »

((Hey, someone liked my sigils!  :D My town hall shall be on the yellow pentagon that meets with the light green and darker green pentagons. I wonder, am I near forested/jungle land?

Also, my spot is bottom-middle, bros. Y'all don't mind if I RP the start, do you? :3))

"Sire, we've reached our point. This is as far as we've traveled and our supplies will not last for more."
"Then we set our foundations here, on the plains. This place reminds me of home, as it soon will be our home."
"I've ordered the people to start up, what are our commands sire? We may have no access to metals as there is no evident quarry."
"We may have to dig, Paladin, but set our sights on the forest nearby. Start with making a Lumber Mill directly east of our location - Forest. We can set a bower's workshop to the northwest of that later on, but we need lumber for our constructions."
"Aye, sire."

As I listened to our Commander speak, my eyes drifted across the grassy plain. Tall reeds of grass were cut, and in their stead lay wooden housing and thatched roofs, supposedly for quick shelter. Our supplies were more than this; I guessed our Commander planned on using it for future events.

The Town Hall was but a large wooden mass, combined with pitch and tar at the base for support. It resembled a Gothic Cathedral, yet without the upper designs and stylish contour. The masonry was to wait until we had made a stable output of resources.

We were to focus on ranged combat as our staple defense, therefore a palisade was to be planned as our defense, but put on hold until our lumber mill would be completed.

--The Scribe
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:22:17 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4