Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clothes sorting via stockpile and traffic  (Read 4214 times)

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothes sorting via stockpile and traffic
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:05:06 pm »

Premise:
I want to be able to sort out my good and bad clothing so i can sell or rot the bad ones and use the good ones.

Plan:
I set a stockpile (let's call it the NCP - New Clothes Pile) for clothing only and set it to Take from my clothier workshops.
Then i put this in a room with a door (irrelevant?) and set traffic to be high, more specifically, higher than it would take a dwarf to path to OCP.
OCP - Old Clothes Pile, a stockpile set to refuse and clothing. Or maybe just clothing if i want to trade it all.

Theory:
When dwarves look for clothing, they would path to the closest pile, the OCP and dump, then go to the NCP and pickup... running naked in between the change of clothes... humm or would they pick up from NCP and then find that they are perfectly able to dump right where they stand and then dump to NCP. Carp!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothes sorting via stockpile and traffic
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:16:33 pm »

They don't choose the item based on traffic priorities. They choose the item based on pure distance. The route to the item is chosen based on the priorities.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:35:09 pm »

Ok that's still workable, I just need to put the OCP always in front of the NCP. The question is then, whether dwarves drop old clothes after they've picked up new ones because that means they'll be standing on the NCP when they're working out where to drop the clothes. that'll kill this idea.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:07:43 pm »

As soon as they sense that new clothes are available, they strip on the spot. I am forever cleaning out my dining hall for the lazy baskets.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:12:39 pm »

Exxxxxxcelllllllent! Stripping on the spot is what i want to hear!

But surely that will give them negative thoughts as they run through the fortress naked from the dining hall, through the living quarters, past the barracks to pick up some new pants?

But that is good news, that means anything stripped off will be dumped in my designated refuse pile whilst the workshops are assigned to give to the new stockpile!

mutonizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:12:13 am »

Something I started doing recently for this was:

1) Build a small atom smasher and a garbage dump under it.
1) Soon as the game starts and once after each year, I go into the stocks and flag to dump every single piece of clothing. Some of it will be currently in use by some dwarves so they won't dump it right now, but as soon as they change clothing, they'll dump the old one.
2) Soon after the dump flagging, I start doing sets of clothing via my clothier for some time. This will push dwarves with worn out clothes to change.
3) Before flagging for next year dumping or before the merchants arrive, I go into my garbage pile and check for quality clothing that isn't totally worn out and un-forbid it. Since I have a specific cloth stockpile with quality settings and a door, the cloth I want will be put there, then I lock the door until the merchants arrive.
4) Once again, I dump flag all my clothing from my stocks, manually un-dump the quality stockpiles behind the doors, etc...
5) Use atom smasher :)

That way, I've been running a 6 years fortress without any old clothes problems since they are automatically dumped when stripped.
AGE of MAN (mod thread, with questions/features/log)
a prehistoric, semi realistic, human focus mod in the work. (no release yet)

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:05:58 am »

If you keep track of it and use every caravan arriving you can sell all the stuff. In the beginning it's not that much that comes around, but after a few years, when the first masterpieces are worn out, then you can buy an entire caravan just by using worn cloth.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:32:02 pm »

@mutonizer, that sounds like too much micromanagement to me, esp step 3 for manually unforbidding clothes.

my stockpile plan was so i need to have no management, i.e workflow would just create clothes, they'd get put in the new pile, old ones will get put in the old one and rot. don't need to look at clothing again.

tried it last night, didn't work out though cause the old clothes was getting put in the new stockpile, but i realised i didn't set the "Only take from workshop/pile" option. maybe that would have solved it.

also, i just learned that u can search for worn stuff to trade... that would require no micromanagement at all, u just trade all the worn stuff for free or cheap. each trade, i'm giving away so much stuff anyway that selling worn things doesn't give me any advantages besides making next year's caravans better.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:25:15 am »

But surely that will give them negative thoughts as they run through the fortress naked from the dining hall, through the living quarters, past the barracks to pick up some new pants?
There appears to be a short grace period. I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but casual observation suggests that 'while the dropped clothing is still owned, the dwarf will not get bad thoughts for being unclothed on the appropriate body part' is a good place to start.

For clothing management, I suggest one stockpile located near to the trade depot, feeding into a minecart dumping onto a quantum stockpile right next to the depot. All clothing, old and new, will end up on one tile three steps away from the centre tile all goods get taken to. You'll have to pick through the list to trade old clothes away, but sorting by value clumps worn clothes together and the wear modifiers are the first characters in the item name and are relatively easy to spot.

I also suggest a 'down, Enter, repeat for a pageful of goods' macro for actually trading all these single items away.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:55:25 am »

feeding into a minecart dumping onto a quantum stockpile
that's going to cause the new clothes to wear out right?

and i'm trying to avoid picking through a list. already picking through too many lists and the clothes one will be big for 150 dwarves and all those ambushes.

if i just create a massive stockpile next to the depot and then designate all clothing for trade and then search/trade all worn clothes then i won't need to look through lists on lists of clothes to pick out ones to sell right?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 02:56:31 am »

Forget clothes and use steel. Is dwarfier and never rots. Just put everybody in a inactive squad.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:13:11 am »

feeding into a minecart dumping onto a quantum stockpile
that's going to cause the new clothes to wear out right?
Unless clothes rot regardless of what stockpile they're in without being in a bin, no. As far as I know, only stockpiles with Refuse enabled will cause rotting of the stockpiled objects (and possibly only with certain settings. I've had troglodyte skeletons hang around for years on a corpse-only refuse stockpile).

if i just create a massive stockpile next to the depot and then designate all clothing for trade and then search/trade all worn clothes then i won't need to look through lists on lists of clothes to pick out ones to sell right?
No, you'll be looking through the one big list in the trading screen instead. I think anyway, I'm not sure I understand the question.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 11:06:42 am »

Slightly off-topic question, but still cloth related.

Do dwarves go out of their burrows to get new clothes?
I usually burrow my metalworkers near the magma sea with their rooms, dining hall and food/drinks stockpile all inside the burrow.
Do I need to put a cloth stockpile in the same burrow or will they go out to take new clothes?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 11:10:35 am »

You'll have to pick through the list to trade old clothes away, but sorting by value clumps worn clothes together and the wear modifiers are the first characters in the item name and are relatively easy to spot.

In the "bring items to trade depot" window, you can just "s" for search and type in a "x".  The vast majority of items in the resulting list (especially if you use the categories on the left) will be worn-out clothing.

If we could type "x(" then life would be perfect...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 12:00:59 pm »

You can do that? Nice. I thought about it, but wasn't sure if the game would read the modifiers in the same way as the items themselves.
Pages: [1] 2