Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McBrewer, We have barrels right there!!!  (Read 749 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McBrewer, We have barrels right there!!!
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:11:22 pm »

So I have a bunch of empty barrels in stockpiles and the brewers tell me that there are no empty food storage items. I no longer have stockpiles that only give or take from workshops. Why is this happening?

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McBrewer, We have barrels right there!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »

Burrows?
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 06:38:18 pm »

Yes but there not on. I checked.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »

Other possible reasons:

they are forbidden: use d-b-c to check

They are reserved for use by another task/stockpile: a stockpile that allows barrels (but is for food or something else that goes in barrels) will be pre-stocked with one empty barrel in it.  As soon as 1 item is stored in that barrel, your dwarves will immediately bring another empty one to the stockpile.  These barrels are reserved by the stockpile in question, they are not available for other tasks, like brewing.  Unless you have a stockpile that allows only furniture->barrels with barrels in it then you do not have any empty barrels for brewing.

They are not really empty.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »

There is also a "Reserved barrels" option in the "p" (stockpiles) menu, check that it's zero.
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:58:43 pm »

There is also a "Reserved barrels" option in the "p" (stockpiles) menu, check that it's zero.

No, that is wrong.  That won't stop brewing, quite the opposite in fact, setting that number to something other than zero would reserve barrels for brewing.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 09:43:27 pm »

Good to know, though it would be nice if it said exactly what they're reserved for. Just like that, it would seem it auto-forbids some barrels that you can manually release later or something like that. Checking the wiki's stockpile page doesn't say anything about that setting, I'm going to add it now.

iTreefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:21:31 am »

No, that is wrong.  That won't stop brewing, quite the opposite in fact, setting that number to something other than zero would reserve barrels for brewing.

Bins can also be reserved. What are they reserved for?

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:21 am »

Good question.  Can't think of the answer off the top of my head because I can't think of a reaction that requires bins, however, that's what the parameter controls.  It restricts the number of barrels/bins that can be claimed by stockpiles and reserves them for reactions.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 02:14:12 pm »

If the still is set to take from a stockpile that only has brewable plants in it, then it won't have access to barrels or pots.  You have to set the still to take from another stockpile that has barrels and/or pots as well.

Basically, if you have Workshop X that needs materials A, B, and C to produce D, if you set Workshop X to take from a stockpile, you have to make sure that the stockpile(s) it takes from include A, B, and C if you want it to be able to produce D.  For example, it's a common mistake to set up a non-magma forge that takes from a specific metal stockpile and forget to have it also take from a fuel stockpile.

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.