Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy dwarfs not doing anything. Idles not hauling.  (Read 2945 times)

urbn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Lazy dwarfs not doing anything. Idles not hauling.
« on: June 24, 2012, 05:49:16 pm »

So it seems like my Dwarfs wont haul / move or pickup items and I cann't seem to figure out why this is happening.

I currently have 80 idel dwarfs. Nearly all are set to dump/haul (miners and doctors are the only ones who do not haul).  Now, I know I have several hundred bolts for example that I have been grinding out from 8 workshops, but for some reason they will not place these in a stockpile.  The stockpile is roughly 75 steps away, is accessable and is set to maxbarrel - 0, max min - 12, max wheelbarrow - 0. will take from anywhere. nothing set for take or give.  Stockpile is setup acccept ammo (all type, metal etc).  I've tried assigning wheelbarrows, max/min barrel/bins, setting up links, setup 10 different stockpiles, each with a different combo of settings to each workshop and not one would transport to the workshop (all stockpiles were within 5 - 10 steps of workshops).

For the order screen I have every thing set do display dwarves gather X (gather furniture, food, etc) Same with forbid and refuse (all set to claim).  No burrows, hauling, zones,points/routes, traffic.

The same thing happens with stone, minerals, etc.  I have stockpiles setup for all stone, with stone a few steps away, and 80 dwarfs standing around not moving it to the stockpile.

I've played pervious versions of DF for over a year now, but since upgrading to the latest version, it seems like my dwarfs just don't move anything around, pickup items, or any type of hauling what so ever.   Anyone have any ideas?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy dwarfs not doing anything. Idles not hauling.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 05:58:40 pm »

a drastic measure might be to deconstruct then construct the workshop. Jobs seem to be bugging
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 06:00:56 pm »

So it seems like my Dwarfs wont haul / move or pickup items and I cann't seem to figure out why this is happening.

I currently have 80 idel dwarfs. Nearly all are set to dump/haul (miners and doctors are the only ones who do not haul).  Now, I know I have several hundred bolts for example that I have been grinding out from 8 workshops, but for some reason they will not place these in a stockpile.  The stockpile is roughly 75 steps away, is accessable and is set to maxbarrel - 0, max min - 12, max wheelbarrow - 0. will take from anywhere. nothing set for take or give.  Stockpile is setup acccept ammo (all type, metal etc).  I've tried assigning wheelbarrows, max/min barrel/bins, setting up links, setup 10 different stockpiles, each with a different combo of settings to each workshop and not one would transport to the workshop (all stockpiles were within 5 - 10 steps of workshops).

For the order screen I have every thing set do display dwarves gather X (gather furniture, food, etc) Same with forbid and refuse (all set to claim).  No burrows, hauling, zones,points/routes, traffic.

The same thing happens with stone, minerals, etc.  I have stockpiles setup for all stone, with stone a few steps away, and 80 dwarfs standing around not moving it to the stockpile.

I've played pervious versions of DF for over a year now, but since upgrading to the latest version, it seems like my dwarfs just don't move anything around, pickup items, or any type of hauling what so ever.   Anyone have any ideas?

Changing stockpile settings sometimes breaks them, options stay disabled despite showing otherwise. I recently added this bug to the wiki page. For me, deleting and re-assigning the stockpile fixes this.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

urbn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:16:37 pm »

Well I feel like an idiot.

So I decided to use a default stockpile for ammo and it worked.  It turns out all stockpiles havehad the additional options allow non-plant/animal disabled.   I could have sworn this setting used to be allow plant, or disalow plant, but not disallow non-plant.   And since you can't disable the additional options (but can block all sub options) I had never bothered to check it.

Thanks for getting me to think outside the box.  It will be nice to finally not have to depend on setting up 1 garbage location and trashing everything I need for production and building.