Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How often does this happen?  (Read 6626 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How often does this happen?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 02:55:21 pm »

Just build more than one pump and put them on top of each other. Et voila! A stack of pumps! Tres simple, non?

For more details, see http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pump_stack#Pump_stack
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:56:52 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:10 pm »

The wiki diagram confuses me.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:51 pm »

I don't know how to use a pump stack YET. :'(

Fixed! It's never too late to learn.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 03:02:14 pm »

I don't know how to use a pump stack. :'(
For a magma stack make sure you use a 1x3 area for the magma at the end of each pump and build one layer at a time to lower the amount of temperature calculations and lessen the FPS drain. 
Code: [Select]
XXXXX
X+++X
XX#XX
XX%XX
XX.XX
XXXXX
for each layer will give you the optimal magma pumpstack IIRC  The disadvantage is that you wouldn't want to build the entire stack at once since you want each reservoir filled prior to starting the next pump.  But once you get the whole thing running the hit will be minimal and can be switched on/off without issue after the initial startup.

PS:  After seeing some additional posts, you would just build this setup then rotate it 180 degrees each z level.  It pumps from the . to the + area. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 03:05:19 pm »

I'm still confused, so I'm just gonna figure this out myself.
My tumblr.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 03:40:26 pm »

The dug tiles were right in each corner of the site to minimise disturbance, so trying to build there would be inconvenient at best. Since then I've noted the cavern shapes, which are easier to see with maximum openness and minimum passage density.

These days I use reveal to take a look at the site first, and then place the central point according to whether I want the bottom floor to be above magma or in one of those little stone areas that are the last bits of solid rock on the site. I hate digging down and finding a bunch of water in the way, it's as annoying as aquifers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 05:38:25 pm »

Just today I skipped all three caverns and the magma layer. I hit semi-molten rock and started digging sideways.

I was only able to find two of the caverns. The 2 caverns and the magma layer were all crammed into the bottom 10 levels of a 120 level map. Above the semi-molten rocks that is.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 05:39:45 pm »

Just today I skipped all three caverns and the magma layer. I hit semi-molten rock and started digging sideways.

I was only able to find two of the caverns. The 2 caverns and the magma layer were all crammed into the bottom 10 levels of a 120 level map. Above the semi-molten rocks that is.
Are you in some mountains?  Or did you tweak the layers between cavern settings?
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 05:44:45 pm »

Are you in some mountains?  Or did you tweak the layers between cavern settings?
It was a flat embark with nearly no mountains anywhere nearby on the worldmap. Also, all of the caverns had water available, but none of them had grasses, only trees. It was a sinister embark if that's important, there were wormy tendrils and eyeballs outside. Different magma pools extended to both of them, on adjacent world tiles.

No I didn't tweak any of the cavern settings. There's only 10 levels above ground if that's important.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 01:10:09 pm »

I've got my pump stack's first level complete, so It looks like I've figured it out on my own.

I'm using the local fungi for walls, except for nether-cap for staircases. I don't want my pumps freezing.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:12:17 pm by Slayerhero90 »
My tumblr.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 01:28:48 pm »

Save the nether-cap for the pump components, it's magma-safe (and easier to use than making the pumps/screws out of iron).

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 01:42:51 pm »

I don't need a magma pump. I embarked on a volcano.

EDIT: Just got a forgotten beast.

Lim: A great hairy lobster. It has 3 stubby horns and undulates rhythmically. Beware it's poisonous sting. While it's description is funny, wanna know the best part? All possible paths to me are blocked by spore trees.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:21:17 pm by Slayerhero90 »
My tumblr.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 06:56:29 pm »

Lim: A great hairy lobster. It has 3 stubby horns and undulates rhythmically. Beware it's poisonous sting. While it's description is funny, wanna know the best part? All possible paths to me are blocked by spore trees.
Pray it cannot fly.
[DWARFINEERING]

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 07:07:20 pm »

It was a flat embark with nearly no mountains anywhere nearby on the worldmap. Also, all of the caverns had water available, but none of them had grasses, only trees. It was a sinister embark if that's important, there were wormy tendrils and eyeballs outside. Different magma pools extended to both of them, on adjacent world tiles.

No I didn't tweak any of the cavern settings. There's only 10 levels above ground if that's important.

not too strange. One time I hit cavern 3 first, then 2 after some exploring higher up, then rock bottom as it were, but I seriously had to hunt for cavern one
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 08:35:11 pm »

Pray it cannot fly.

It's description said nothing about flight, now did it? >:(

Besides him, I haven't seen any wildlife.
My tumblr.
Pages: 1 [2] 3