Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New World  (Read 424 times)

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New World
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:30:56 pm »

With DFHack updated I've downloaded 34.11 and tried generating some worlds.  But I can't get what I like.  I use the LNP (Lazy Newb PAck) and tried using the design with advanced parameters. I used the medium region and then the small region. World gen takes time...I read the wiki and have seen some people uploading settings to get exactly what they want, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

First all the worlds were calm or serene, is this because of LNP or defaut settings?  I'd like a variety like when using create a new world.

Trying to get flat land, I thought lowering the max elevation from 400 to 300 or 350 might help but that just generated a whole lot of rejects. 

For volcanos I adjusted the minimum volcano number from 1 to 30 but I only got three or four volcanos per world. It says it ranges from 0 to 200 so I guess I'll up that again but the seems to make a lot of mountains.

Sorry for the rambling, I guess what I'd really like is what I had in my last, best fort: a flat canyon, one layer of soil w/clay, then rock, with both a river and a volcano.  It was untamed wilds, but I'd like one of the evil zones.

What should I be adjusting to help generate something like that?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: New World
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:59:19 pm »

I don't have the new LNP yet but there has normally been a "LAZYNEWBWORLD" parameter set which has a lot of minerals, and a lot of volcanos, too.  I think your problem is that the game generates a volcano in a flat area only very, very, rarely. Most volcanos are in a the middle of a mountain range.  I don't want to be rude, but I think to find exactly what you want you are going to have to look at a lot of embarks and be very patient.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 02:37:38 pm »

I'm afraid I can't suggest settings that would deliver exactly the environment you're looking for, but I would like to take a moment to highly recommend the Perfect World utility for generating worlds. It is an extremely powerful external application, allowing you to fully randomly generate a world to your liking. You can set Perfect World to handle all aspects of worldgen, or leave some to DF. It can generate the ratios of desert/swamp/forest/plains/hills, as well as create randomized heightmaps for the topography, and then generate realistic rainmaps and volcanic maps from that. There's also a trick you can use to maximise that volcano count, whilst spreading them far and wide and not causing the entire world to be saturated with volcanism.

I use it for 34.11 and honestly I just can't ever go back to the regular worldgen these days. It's really that spectacular.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Advanced_world_generation

Incredibly useful page.  It lacks the info on Toady's newest options, found in [34.11].  Like blood rain, werecritters, vampires, etc..

If your starting out, and playing fortress mode, definately do an advance world generation, and turn vampires types(CSI:Armok) off.  Demons is turned off in LNP worlds, for avoiding the undefeatable enemy captains that sometimes come with Demons on.  Ya might wanna duplicate the LNP world, and then tweak it even more, so its more playable, and easier. 

Post it, once ya do that, ya can open and view world gen settings, in the DF's init folder.  I'd be happy to offer suggestions...  Lots of fun can be had in changing the world generator settings.  I run a 33x33 out to 105 years, and start mega percentage at year 5, but its set to a percentage of -1, so it runs the full 105 years. 

Its my opinion Toady and LucasUP haven't altered their default Worldgen parameters, for the new game material.  So Adv Worldgen is a must.  If your into the adventure mode stuff, disregard this conclusion.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 03:06:43 pm »

Perfect World

Seconded. If you have very particular requirements for your embark, it's pretty much the only way to get it without having to generate a hundred worlds.

Don't lower the maximum elevation outright, or every world will be rejected. Dwarven civs can only spawn in neutral (non-good, non-evil) mountains.

Don't raise the minimum volcano number too much in small worlds, or the worldgen won't be able to place them all and reject. To get more volcanoes per world, you can increase "volcanism weighted range (80-100)" to 10000, however this will result in a widespread lack of flux in your world (flux doesn't appear in high volcanic areas). I've found that maxing the volcanism X and Y variances and maxing the highest and lowest weighted ranges for volcanism helps with this (because the huge variation in little distances guarantees that a part of your embark will be volcanic and the other not), but you might want to refer to a previous thread of mine to see how to achieve this more easily with PerfectWorld.

For the evil part, you''ll want to increase the numbers in the "desired evil square count in X subregions". However, note that "small, medium and large" don't mean what they seem at first: subregions means biomes, and some biomes such as mountains and oceans are naturally larger than others. Remeber not to increase the evil or good squares for large subregions too much or you'll get rejects because the worldgen can't place dwarven civs. Since this happens once the world was fully generated already, it's quite infuriating.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.