Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mining adamantine  (Read 1501 times)

grafsnow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
mining adamantine
« on: June 24, 2012, 11:10:02 am »

Hi
i wondered if anyone ever thought about carving the adamantine so that you can see what`s behind and avoid to trigger the FUN

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: mining adamantine
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:12:28 am »

But the risk is what makes it so fun! :P

Alternatively if you really don't want to risk it then I believe DFHack has a "fill tubes" or something similar command that will fill adamantine spires in for you. Other then that if you don't want to cheat the only thing you can really do is only mine the spire after it shrinks down to a 3xZ spire IIRC, as the whole won't fit in a space that small.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 11:31:54 am »

SPOILERS
SAY CANDY.
SAY CLOWNS
SAY CIRCUS.

Please, it was spoiled for me, it doesnt have to be spoiled for everyone.

(Sorry for sounding harsh.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:41:40 am »

SPOILERS
SAY CANDY.
SAY CLOWNS
SAY CIRCUS.

Please, it was spoiled for me, it doesnt have to be spoiled for everyone.
(Sorry for sounding harsh.)
Actually saying "adamantine" isn't a spoiler at all. I mean "raw adamantine" is present right in the economic stones list, as well as the stockpiles, so it's not like it's name is a secret. Also if you will note we have not mentioned anything about what is behind them, only using the descriptor "FUN" (which is better then clowns because people actually realize what it means, but it is still vague enough to be anything). I guess if you really wanted to be specific I could use HFS, since that is the technical term. I've got to agree with what Queitust mentions in many of the threads like this. All the use of phrases like clowns or circus does is confuse new players causing them to be spoiled when they try to find out what they are. If you don't want to spoil people, then call it adamantine and HFS ("hidden" is right in there), since those are the names used by Toady.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:52:39 am »

People have been carving fortifications in smoothed raw adamantine (to reveal the tiles beyond them without allowing anything to escape) for years - I've personally done it back in version 0.28.181.40d.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:01:57 pm »

Doesn't the fortification method still trigger the FPS-death from all the pathfinding creatures? Also, they can be made of non-solid things, right?

I usually don't mess with adamantine for this reason.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:08 pm »

Doesn't the fortification method still trigger the FPS-death from all the pathfinding creatures?
Indeed it does - it just protects you from the actual death part.

Also, they can be made of non-solid things, right?
The only confirmed reports I've seen of creatures moving through fortifications are when said fortifications were submerged under 7/7 water/magma.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »

Alternatively if you really don't want to risk it then I believe DFHack has a "fill tubes" or something similar command that will fill adamantine spires in for you. Other then that if you don't want to cheat the only thing you can really do is only mine the spire after it shrinks down to a 3xZ spire IIRC, as the whole won't fit in a space that small.

Another approach which doesn't involve using external tools, is, in world gen, set # of demon types to 0. The tubes will still be hollow, but if you breach them, no demons.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 04:40:34 pm »

So carving a fortification into the hollow part of an adamantine tube will safely reveal the HFS without the hordes of clowns wrecking the fort?  I was thinking about this last night actually, and figured it would probably work.  I hadn't gotten around to actually trying it out though.

I don't mind experimenting with some crazy stuff, it helps me learn the game, and it's part of the !!FUN!!.  I just learned that if I'm going to cave in a big pit from the surface, I should probably channel away the soil, or I'll end up with grass growing in my dining hall, and which needs to be painstakingly removed by flooring the whole damn thing over.  Another crazy thing I'm doing is deliberately caving in pieces of the undergound into a cavern lake so I can mine out exposed veins which are underwater.  Don't give me spoiler on this, if it fails badly I want to see it for myself.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:47:28 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 04:45:36 pm »

But the risk is what makes it so fun! :P

That seems to be subject to a bug in the current version. Filled veins might still trigger a demon invasion, according to DFHack's GitHub page, so it's not safe.

Another approach which doesn't involve using external tools, is, in world gen, set # of demon types to 0. The tubes will still be hollow, but if you breach them, no demons.

This would seem to be the safest, but involves re-gen.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.