Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem recovering wounded soldiers  (Read 1191 times)

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem recovering wounded soldiers
« on: June 24, 2012, 11:04:51 am »

Soldiers with 'ability to stand lost', not unconscious, abandoned on the field slowly dying of thirst.

Why isn't anybody recovering them?
Plenty of people passing right beside them, with the recovering job enabled.
Are they considered self-sufficient because they are not bleeding and not unconscious?
They can't even crawl to the hospital.

Any way to save them?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem recovering wounded soldiers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:13:40 am »

Take their squad off duty, and hope that they collapse at some point.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 11:14:15 am »

Do you have idlers? Recovery of wounded is a fairly low priority task, so if all of your dwarves are busy cleaning up after the siege then they will ignore the soldiers completely. A good way around this is to make a few dedicated "nurses" (who like helping people) that have all labors turned off except for recovering wounded and feeding patients.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:39:09 am »

I had a bunch of idlers and I tried activating only the recover wounded labor on some of them, but they ignored the soldiers.
Looks like they didn't even register them as wounded.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:42:42 am »

I believe they have to be unconscious.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:50:24 am »

I believe they have to be unconscious.

this
try breaking a few bones or making them pass out from exertion, or hopw they fall asleep before dying of thirst
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »

Mini cavein. Put a support with a single floor tile next to them, chop down any trees they could be blown into, and collapse the support. Perhaps stun will be enough to trigger the 'recover wounded' job? I know the [NOSTUN] tag messes around with sleeping dwarves, so the two statuses aren't completely separate...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 12:53:29 pm »

Mini cavein. Put a support with a single floor tile next to them, chop down any trees they could be blown into, and collapse the support. Perhaps stun will be enough to trigger the 'recover wounded' job? I know the [NOSTUN] tag messes around with sleeping dwarves, so the two statuses aren't completely separate...
Make sure that there is a solid wall beneath the cave-in though, or you could be causing FUN as the cave-in plunges through your fortress.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 03:38:11 pm »

Make sure that there is a solid wall beneath the cave-in though, or you could be causing FUN as the cave-in plunges through your fortress.

I found this one out the hard way some time ago. I was like, eh wait, I can see to the bottom of the fort now, something seems to have gone wrong
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 04:54:51 pm »

I'm not entirely positive they need to be unconcious. I had a dwarf drag his broken legs halfway to the fort before someone else came and picked him up. Do you have people burrowed? They won't leave their burrows to- waitno you said people were walking by him. I suggest making some nurses then. I have everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on them turned off, 'cept recover wounded, feed wounded/prisoners, diagnosing and bandaging. I never see anyone get left out for long.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:17:09 am »

I'm pretty positive but I've been wrong too.  Are you sure he didn't fall asleep?  I've never seen a dwarf carried that was conscious.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 05:58:30 am »

I usually make my miners doctors (because my miners usually have hauling turned off). Other than making sure the military dwarf is inactive and that some doctors are idle and "civilian alert" is off, it's just a matter of patience. They almost always get picked up eventually, before dying. But it's like the old saying "the watched pot never boils", except in DF, it's "the watched dorf never gets healed". But the system does work, even if it's a bit slow sometimes.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 06:22:53 am »

There is a dwarven saying: If you can talk, you can walk.

It is a known bug

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111051.0
DF: where imagination beats animation

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:58 am »

Ok thanks everyone.

No burrows active (except the metalworking slaves burrowed 90 levels below the surface).
Everything disabled except recover wounded on a couple idle dwarves.
The two poor suckers gallant heroes never fell asleep or unconscious. They just lied there with both legs broken (both of them), going thirsty - dehydrated - dead.
I'm not entirely sure about the orders, so the next time I'll double-check if they still have active station orders.

Still, probably better than following the rest of the fort one year later.
"Gentlemen, we have sealed an entire cavern level for ourselves. The last wall is almost complete and at this point only something that can fly AND swim can attack us from below".

The giant bat something has come! Beware its deadly dust!

As it turns out, its deadly dust is paralyzing boiling dust and forgotten giant bats are perfectly able to swim and fly.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 04:52:03 pm »

better luck next time. Strike the earth!

deadly dust is usually one of the worst things to get.