Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29

Author Topic: You are an ancient alien  (Read 46169 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You are an ancient alien
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 09:58:33 pm »

a large insect like creature
another scaled creature
a mammalian creature

These.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:06:49 pm by Ross Vernal »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 11:41:43 pm »

a large insect like creature
another scaled creature
a mammalian creature

These.
this
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 04:28:18 am »

Remember that you have nine scout drones on the planet, I said three shuttles each carrying three drones, and the capture drones must be sent doen, but I'm assuming thats what you wanted. And remember that your have twelve bio vats that can be emptied any time you want, in fact I advise you take all the rest next turn because thats the only way you can find out their biology, unique traits, that stuff
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Capture them all, we can't take any chances."
"Understood, Alerish out." However just as he is about to turn the consol off he hesitates, you are about to ask him whats wrong but he turns the consol off before you can, maybe he's hiding something, you muse, as you turn around to face Shiek you find that she has already left, you turn back to the viewing panel to watch the next shuttle take off towards the surface, five capture drones on board, they head off. You go back to sleep in your room for about three hours when an alarm tells you that the drones are back, you head off towards the Bio Lab where the creatures will be kept, when you arrive you find that five Bio-Vats are full, much to your relief, Alerish slides up to you, clearly quite happy with this, you noticemany more Ataqalaas going around working on the vats just as Alerish speaks. "Well the mission was a sucess, all the creatures are captured and we even found another creature that could be worked on."
"Really?" You ask, more creatures means more DNA and more chances of sucess, "what is it?"
"It seems to have plain skin like us, they are coated in a thick hide armour though, and about 3 metres long, they have a long snout, four legs, and a tail that ends with a vicous looking bony club."
"Interesting." You figure this would be a good time to ask him what had happened earlier, before he can move off you speak up, "Before, when you reported to me, just as you where about to sign off, you looked like you where going to say something, can you tell me what?" Alerish goes pale for a moment before finally answering, "well the truth is we found another creature that would be suitable for protectors, but we weren't sure we should show it to you."
"Well show me now." Alerish visably sighs and heads off towards the screen with you following behind, soon you see an image of another bug creatue, they have large heads, with very large eyes, each about the size of a soccer ball, huge metre long wings, a size of one and a half metre high, six limbs, two ending with insect hands, but whats most interesting is that the seem to already have some techonogy, as they seem to be carrying stone tipped spears. "Why didn't you show me this before!" you ask with your most outreaged voice. Alerish's answer you find is quite a good reason, "Well you see, they seem to have a hive structure very similar to the enemy, and they also seem rather ruthless, altogether they remind me somewhat of the enemy."
"Oh," you say "still you should have shown me so I could at least consider this," Alerish doesn't answer and so you think about your options, five creatures in storage, and a possible two more to be captured, so what now?

Spoiler: Galyiam Cargo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bio Vats (click to show/hide)
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 05:33:23 am »

I didnt expected this. But it is good in the end. While we do not want to raise something this disgisting, these flies will be a perfect antagonist for the Protectors. An eternal war against them will result in perfect warriors, geared toward protecting their kinds against the Ennemy. Good good good!

Now into what we need. I call multispectral vision. Two main eyes with precise depth and detail perceptio and secondary ones with Infrared, UV, polarized light, and electronic perception, as well as extended vision field with efficient move perception.

Also arms with hands. Two or four legs? I prefer four myself. Rather small with long and slender limbs, for its fragility will favour cleverness. AND it'll ease exoarmor outfitting.

Pack behaviour of course, with urge to protect its kind. Family and clan. This can be achieved with high levels of ocytocyn. (believed to be hormon of altruism, it revealed to be the hormon of group. It push you to sacrifice yourself for the group. Hormon of charity AND racism? Oh come onn nature!)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50:32 am »

I should have said this before but if you attempt to give it new organs and body parts of scratch and immedietly to a creature, then there is a high possibility that the creature will die, the most effective way is to introduce genes from creatures that live in a similar environment and slowly let is grow throught the years, when you want to then I'll make a turn last a good few hundred years
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 07:29:00 am »

Eyh! We are super advanced aliens and unable to do what human scientist do every day, although on beacteria? Just take scorpio egg and splice those genes in the still unicellular embryo. It's surprisingly easy to twist a species by changing a bit of DNA here and there.
Who told.you to GM an adult? Of course it'll die! ::)
Full Sig

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 07:33:48 am »

I guess, I really just want you to understand that Instantly giving something massive claws or increasing its size isn't going to happen, but I guess i wont make it too long, still some prossecing means that certaint thngs can go wrong, so forget my last post
I really need to think more carefully about what i type, the amount of turns spent on biomorphing would be about four or five at most, just including the interesting parts, the whole year thing is just realisim in the game, the amount of posts would be short in the whole biomorphing, the years is purely in the game, it wont take long for the whole biomorphing thing in terms of posts, I wont ask things like, oh you are almost done on the claw, now you can start on the left wing, more like 4 weeks later, finally the body is complete, however one of the experiments has broken out, what do you do but with more fluff, OK
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:43:31 am by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 07:44:29 am »

What'll REALLY take time will be us deciding on the final design... Maybe some tests or simulations of creatures with a killswitch may help. I am on smartphone there so I'll wait to be home to post a first complete design for testing.

My idea:

-Take the mammal as a basis.
-Heavy modification with scorpio-like creature DNA:
     °Six legged. The two forward are arms, with hands and such. The others are legs. The creature must be able to stand and walk on its legs only, centaur-like. It also must be able to climb to tree easily.
     °Remove fur, instead secrete chitine-like armour (the same as scorpio creature). It must be secreted in hexagonal "scales" by formerly fur-generating glands, to make shedding irrelevant. Said scales fuse when creature become adult. The armor is thick enough to provide protection, but thin enough not to restrain movement.
     °The head is heavily modified. Over the mammal head, put a scorpio head. This large head will host the big brain, and additionnal breathing and circulatory apparatus (simple ones), to keep the creature alive in case of heavy damage to the body. Carapace here is a lot thicker.
     °The mammal's eyes appear in front of the head, improved to see details and depth better. Eyelids are armored and a third, transparent eyelid allow clear underwater vision. On the sides are three pairs of secondary eyes. The farthermost is set to perceive the slightest movement in a large field. The two others see in different spectrum (IR, UV, polarized light, etc...)

Use the vats to grow specimens until a perfect one is produced. Then mass-clone them (ensure a diversified gene pool by slight modifications!) and drop batches of pre-educated (via implanted false memories and knowledge) adults everywhere relevant. Give each batch a number and a number of minor particularities, be it specific alleles or tools, whatever.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:55:39 am by kaian-a-coel »
Full Sig

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 11:56:15 am »

They may be disturbing, but they are almost *perfect* in every other way, and maybe even, thou it horrifies us to even thing this, their similarity with the enemy is a good thing, since it's a proved concept.

We are rational creatures, surely we can overcome such biases caused by outwards appearance, when results are what matters? Remember, the traits that are *genuinely* repulsive, even upon reflection, can be modified away.

On what changes can be made quickly and slowly, while I'm not sure if you are going for realism, if you are it's not as simple as large changes being harder or easier than small changes or adding things being harder or easier than modifying them. It depends on complex things on *how*and *why* things are as they are, and that relates only in almost idiosyncratic seeming ways to how the results look. Basically, the only way to pull it of is to actually know some real solid developmental biology.

As for actual action, I'd suggest we focus entirely on the already intelligent creatures here and forget the others as anything other than potential sources of genes, making small modifications. Psionics, petrochemical tweaks to make them have larger and more tightly knot groups, biases towards reverence, thankfulness and honour and protectiveness. Make these able to interbreed with the existing population, and abduct and inseminate several females in an existing tribe, also taking the opportunity to portray ourselves as benevolent gods.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:10 pm »

They may be disturbing, but they are almost *perfect* in every other way, and maybe even, thou it horrifies us to even thing this, their similarity with the enemy is a good thing, since it's a proved concept.

We are rational creatures, surely we can overcome such biases caused by outwards appearance, when results are what matters? Remember, the traits that are *genuinely* repulsive, even upon reflection, can be modified away.

On what changes can be made quickly and slowly, while I'm not sure if you are going for realism, if you are it's not as simple as large changes being harder or easier than small changes or adding things being harder or easier than modifying them. It depends on complex things on *how*and *why* things are as they are, and that relates only in almost idiosyncratic seeming ways to how the results look. Basically, the only way to pull it of is to actually know some real solid developmental biology.

As for actual action, I'd suggest we focus entirely on the already intelligent creatures here and forget the others as anything other than potential sources of genes, making small modifications. Psionics, petrochemical tweaks to make them have larger and more tightly knot groups, biases towards reverence, thankfulness and honour and protectiveness. Make these able to interbreed with the existing population, and abduct and inseminate several females in an existing tribe, also taking the opportunity to portray ourselves as benevolent gods.
*whine*

Okay, this is not constructive.

You know what? do both. Let them fight again each other and hire the winner.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:38:19 pm by kaian-a-coel »
Full Sig

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 06:34:31 pm »

These are good, but I need more detail's (Kaian) do they have psionic abilities, what is their behavior, (Armok) what upgrades do you want exactly, an less mportant how are you going to change their behavior? I'll need these before I can post, I'll also need more of a consencius
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 07:43:17 pm »

The things I mentioned were partially more long term plans. For this first generation just the psionics (which I obviously don't know the details of because it's not real), and increasing and decreasing the  ease of triggering genes for producing standard hormones, like equivalents of oxytocin and adrenalin, in order to make them more social.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 03:24:02 am »

can i please have more people invloved, you dont have to make a plan just vote for the stuff, please, its gonna be hard to get a consencius when only two people are voting and there are two ideas
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 03:37:17 am »

For psionic abilities, they have not. In fact, they rather project a negation field, supressing psionics powers and disturbing their owners. Chamans from armok's tribes may say about them that they have no souls.

They have semi-predatorial behaviour. They live in trees and will build villages in them later (think ewoks, then galadrims).
They live in familial packs of twenty, more or less. Everyone can mate, but young males often leave the pack to reduce consanguinity. Reproduction rate is high (note: they lay eggs), leading to an ever-expanding territory.
The genetics bonds within the pack make everyone ready to sacrifice itself for group's safety. Pack do not often cooperate (yet), but they do when necessary (against common ennemy, etc...).

Later, sedentarisation happen. Packs get bigger and become clans. Genetics bond between neighbouring clans thicken. They fuse into villages, cities, countries... History can begin.

They love technology about as much as fighting strangers, and are little religious compared to armok's.
Full Sig

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 03:43:41 am »

I wa thinking of this for some time so now i want your opinion, i plan on introducing something called a Bio-Sphere (YES I know what the Bio-sphere actually is) this bio-sphere can generate any environment so it would be a good place to store experiments, and you can also change the flux of time in the bio-sphere, so ten thousand years cn pass in the bio-sphere but only ten hours in the real universe, (I would say world but your not On a world) also the inside of the bio-sphere would be much bigger than the outside, so waddya think
In denial of sanity...

and insanity
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29