Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29

Author Topic: You are an ancient alien  (Read 46146 times)

Heavy Weapons Pony

• Bay Watcher
  • Luna is best Admiral.
    • View Profile
Re: You are an ancient alien
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 06:50:18 am »

Find this planets equivalent of An Armadillo and use that as a base for our Protector Experiments

"A natural armored shell would help us greatly in our search for a suitable species to make into Protectors"
Ahhh, yes... Killing the ecosystem of a other planet and burn the product as fuel... Simply brilliant 

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 07:27:21 am »

Its time, you decide, "Deploy the scout drones," there is a faint buzzing and then three scout drones are in space, they zoom their cameras down on the planet and soon images are flowing into the Galyiam the computor systems build up a map, and the you reciev the news from Alerish "The drones are in the shuttlles ready to be deployed,"
"Send them down, you say," about three seconds later three shuttles are heading down towards the planet, each carrying three scout drones, as they streak towards the planet, a faint humming alerts you to the presence of Shliek, your only other sibling on this mission "so its underway then," she says as she slides in next to you, "I just recieved news that Morlask and his team have already recieved a degree of approval from the hierach,"
"Really?" you say, "Isn't he the one who said he would base his new species of our own?"
"Yes, what he's done is rather than generate a new spieceis, he has taken some Ataqalaas, given them thick scaly armour, made them more durable, stronger, less sensitive to touch and much larger, and the hierach has agreed to make them their personel bodyguard."
"What!" you scream, "thats barbaric, changing our own race, I'm guessing that their not as smart as regular Ataqalaas,"
"Right, thats partially the reason that they are the personel body guard for the heirach, anyway we need to get moving, this operation must succede," as if on que, the monitor hums to life, and you see Alerish's face on the screen, "Whats the progress?"
"We have found about five species capable for our purposes, but we would need to take them into the bio-vats to further study them."
"Very well show them up," soon images of five creatures fill up onto the screen, The first is a large insect like creature cith huge mandibles, a large scorpion like tail, three limbs, each ending with claws and it is about two and a half metres long, the next is a smaller reptilian creature, with a long wiplike tail, huge fangs, all four legs capable of climbing, and the creature is about 1 metre long, next is another scaled creature, three metres high, tow large feet and two large hads, no visible mouth, nothing else of value except they have rather large heats which may suggest some kind of intelligence or even psyonic ability, then comes a mamalian creature, one metre long, a long head, large tail with a claw at the end, two large eyes and opposable thumbs, finally there is a small grub creature, about thirty centemetres long with a thick carpace for its size, it seems to not have any value but is is paraciticle, and they seem to store up the DNA of creatures they consume, they also hace a large proboscus mouththat sticks into creatures.

Maybe more creatures later but these are the first five
Spoiler: Galyiam cargo (click to show/hide)
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Heavy Weapons Pony

• Bay Watcher
  • Luna is best Admiral.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 08:07:13 am »

I say we bring the Reptile, the Mammal and the Parasitic Grub back to the ship for further examination.

"Bring the Reptile like creature, the Mammal and the Parasite back to the ship, I feel they can be most easily worked with."
Ahhh, yes... Killing the ecosystem of a other planet and burn the product as fuel... Simply brilliant 

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 08:25:03 am »

> physical characteristics can be easily modified, and are rendered irrelevant by equipment for the majority of applications anyway. Even intelligence can be fixed. We need more data on social, temperamental and psychological features.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 09:01:21 am »

I agree with Armok. Bring them all on vats. I favour the scorpio. And I feel that the parasit may not be totally failsafe.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 09:50:38 am »

i say try to make a mamalian creature with 2 feet,  hands with opposable thumbs plus claws and two eyes.

if we had a better idea about the threats faceing us then idid be able to say how much brain it will need.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 10:24:51 am »

I think it could be anything.
Hands with opposable thumps are obviously a need, as the Protector will need to operate ships and use weapons. two eyes are a minimum, for binocular vision. And two feets... well, maybe. I think it's a good idea. It's better than snake-like movement on rough surfaces like rubble.

Mammals, insects or such classifications are restraining. I'd like to have natural armor that'll act as an interface for further protection, but in the same time will not restrain movement.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:27:27 am by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:14 am »

I think we should decide whether or not to gift these creatures with psionics because then many things can be dropped like sight especially if they are easily compatible with cybernetics.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 12:45:51 pm »

As long as anything one it it has decent bandwidth output in any way, alternative interfaces can be made for it. There are other ways to get depth perception than binocular vision, and anyway duplicating organs tend to be relatively very easy to do with genetic manipulation. Different ways of locomotion have different requirements, and bipedal walking and running sucks in most ways except endurance and energy efficiency, which it is extremely good for.

As for durability, any modern weapon that breaches armor even slightly is going to vaporise ANYTHING natural. Dodging and stealth are much more important, and resistance to high G forces might also help IF small scale artificial gravity isn't available. All of these point to small.

One thing to keep in mind is that air and space combat is 3d, so treetop climbing, flying, swimming, or otherwise living in a 3d environment is almost a strict requirement.

Oh, and psionics is a must-have.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 01:28:36 pm »

As long as anything one it it has decent bandwidth output in any way, alternative interfaces can be made for it. There are other ways to get depth perception than binocular vision, and anyway duplicating organs tend to be relatively very easy to do with genetic manipulation. Different ways of locomotion have different requirements, and bipedal walking and running sucks in most ways except endurance and energy efficiency, which it is extremely good for.

As for durability, any modern weapon that breaches armor even slightly is going to vaporise ANYTHING natural. Dodging and stealth are much more important, and resistance to high G forces might also help IF small scale artificial gravity isn't available. All of these point to small.

One thing to keep in mind is that air and space combat is 3d, so treetop climbing, flying, swimming, or otherwise living in a 3d environment is almost a strict requirement.

Oh, and psionics is a must-have.
Agreed, but we musn't let them be too smart, otherwise we'll have a zerg situation on our hands. So be careful with the pisonics, and try to instill a heirarchy or something with us at the top.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 01:35:28 pm »

That is obvious but these psionics and possibly cybernetics could do well. Also we could have their brain for decisions and another part for reflexes and psionics.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 04:01:31 pm »

I agree with armok there. But there is one point we must consider: this species will have an History. We wont straight out equip them with laz0rs. So a natural protection and weapons, or anything that will make them a warlike civilization from the very beginning is a plus. "Martial Traditions" is a wanted trait. If you begin to think about creating futuristic.warmachines.from the start, youre doing it wrong. Robots would be superior anyway. We want these creatures to war their way to space travel. This will take 6000 years or so if correctly handled but we're not in a hurry.

Conclusion: smart reptilian/insect social creature with maximum clan/pack instincts. Later the "pack" will include all of us.
Full Sig

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 06:39:17 pm »

Remember you can mix and match parts of different creatures if you want
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 08:03:55 pm »

We don't want to be controlling them by hierarchy or restraint, that way lies only disaster. What we want is for protecting us to be inherently desirable, pleasurable, and even addictive. Think a mothers love for her child, but turned up to eleven.

They will be the only sapient race during that history, and as such will eventually beat any dumb animals. Having thing be giant monsters relative to them is probably just a  plus, forcing them to cooperate to take them down and be inventive.

War is relative. Fighting each other, they will always meet a foe exactly as strong and tough as themselves, thus multiplying their strength and toughness does nothing. The relevant factors are the RATION between toughness and strength of them at relevant levels of technological progress, the apparent costs and benefits of war such as pain and risk versus enjoyment and resource gain, and inherent temperament.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Heavy Weapons Pony

• Bay Watcher
  • Luna is best Admiral.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 09:13:44 pm »

+1 to whatever Armok said

Since we have only 3 Drones down in the planets Atmosphere, I say we bring back the Reptile, Grub and Mammal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29