Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Noble With No Preferences?  (Read 1424 times)

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noble With No Preferences?
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:12:45 pm »

Well, the time has come to nominate my new Baron or Baroness.  Checking through my dwarves to see who will be the least obnoxious, I've found several who have no item preferences.  They like certain materials (pig iron is especially popular in this fortress, for some reason), but not items.  No beds, maces, hatch covers, cages, amulets, etc.  What happens if I elect one of them as Baron?  Will they just mandate random things?  Will they not issue mandates?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noble With No Preferences?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:50 pm »

"MAKE ME RANDOM CRAP, FOOL!"
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »

Well, they probably still like an animal/plant, right?

"Urist McDuke has mandated the production of 6 pig iron pigs, for their sense of smell."

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:26:23 pm »

"MAKE ME RANDOM CRAP, FOOL!"

Yes, my Baron!  I have just made this masterfully-constructed lever and connected magma-safe mechanisms, just for you!

Edit:  Oh, and thank you for answering my question.  :-)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:42:11 pm »

Nobles will only make mandates based on what they like. Given that material-based mandates have been disabled, that means it's only item preferences that work, so a noble with no item preferences will never make any mandates.

This has been true since pretty much forever - the most notable case in the past was the King, who never had any preferences due to being created as a full-fledged unit during worldgen.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:43:55 pm »

Nobles will only make mandates based on what they like. Given that material-based mandates have been disabled, that means it's only item preferences that work, so a noble with no item preferences will never make any mandates.

This has been true since pretty much forever - the most notable case in the past was the King, who never had any preferences due to being created as a full-fledged unit during worldgen.

My lack of knowledge screws someone over again.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 10:49:59 pm »

Quietust: the walking, breathing Wiki.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 10:57:41 pm »

But...Sphalerite...where are thou!?!
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 11:41:57 pm »

Whooops!  Glad I checked this thread again...

After picking the wrong noble.  Serves me right for trusting a kobold!  :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 03:29:48 am »

note that this doesn't mean you won't get demands.

Urist McBaron demands pig iron bed in his office!

sleeping on the job, eh?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 11:15:01 am »

note that this doesn't mean you won't get demands.
Which of course, have no repercussions if you don't give in to them; other then your noble becoming unhappy that is.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 11:34:04 am »

Quietust: the walking, breathing Wiki.
To be fair, this just happens to be a topic which I personally researched and tested - in a 0.31.14 fortress, my King had no preferences (as all kings did at that time) and made no mandates (despite being listed in the raws as capable of making up to 5 mandates at once), and when I did some memory hacking to give him preferences he immediately started making mandates based on those preferences.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 11:48:08 am »

Knowing how to work memory hacking does give you quite an advantage at testing the trickier things, (which we are deeply indebted towards you for Quietust). Trawling through the code can reveal much more in less apparent cases then us poor souls who are reduced to hitting '.' a million times to count frames and the like. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 12:41:11 pm »

I admit, despite being a CS major I've always looked at memory hacking like it's some kind of black magic.  Very nice bit of science, we owe you one!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 01:35:39 pm »

Well, this makes Baron selection so much easier.

When was this changed? The wiki page on mandates still mentions materials.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2