Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenge Forts  (Read 1676 times)

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Challenge Forts
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:42:59 pm »

So, would people be interested in some forts you can download that appear to be in a doomed state, so they can try to recover?

I recently just stumbled into a situation that I personally think would be FUN to try to wiggle out of, and was curious if others would like to try as well. Can post the fort if people are interested.

Edit: Either way, here's the fort
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6569

The militia commander is the only one capable of any kind of combat at the moment, previous sieges have took a serious toll on the military. That said, the militia commander has taken out two sieges singlehandedly, and another with a partner, so he's no laughing matter...though trolls knocking him around make this siege rather difficult. Also, no access to iron/steel from what I found. The lever at the end of the hallway gets the party started.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:33:27 am by omniclasm »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge Forts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:41:04 am »

Challenge forts sound great. My favorite part of Succession forts is trying to recover from someone else's mess.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:57:27 am »

It sound like fun, but could you please put it on the Dwarf Fortress File Depot site?  I don't seem to be able to download it from the place where you put it.  Thanks.   :)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:33:39 am »

It sound like fun, but could you please put it on the Dwarf Fortress File Depot site?  I don't seem to be able to download it from the place where you put it.  Thanks.   :)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php

Updated :)

Let me know if it doesn't work...I just RAR'd the region folder.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:38:19 am »

Challenge forts sound great. My favorite part of Succession forts is trying to recover from someone else's mess.

That's what I was thinking.

It would be fun to take over forts that are in dire situations, and try to recover. Of course, some may be too dire, and some may not be dire enough. The one in the OP isn't entirely dire, you could just leave the bridge up and act like the outside word doesn't exist, but that's no FUN. Plus it would be interesting to know how people manage to overcome the set backs.

Oh, and to have people criticize the fort >_>

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:09:57 am »

Sometimes such forts can drive player near insanity. Because they didn't build it, tey don't even know what the bedrooms are supposed to be only to find out it was the those little  crosses on that one floor with all the magmaforges that for some reason are spewing magmacrabs.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 01:56:50 pm »

A few clues to potential solvers.   :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 02:52:41 pm »

Hahaha loved every minuite of my time playing this fort  :P
I just thought screw this! and so posistioned the military and OPENED THE BRIDGE well most of the fort diedd almost immedietly but the militia commander still stands... even falling from the top floor of those massive open pits you have in the bedrom chambers wasnt enough to kill this superdwarf badass he kicked the poop out of the ENTIRE SEIGE =O
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 04:46:48 pm »

Holy crap, that militia commander is a badass. He's holding 5 weapons plus a shield and two of the weapons are named.

Edit: I like how you have all of your dwarves mingling amidst the huge graveyard.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:49:19 pm by Kepplerr »
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 05:24:57 pm »

Well, I dumped my attempt to constructively renovate this fortress and tried just opening the gate as someone above did.  I put all of the military right behind the bridge.  All but two of those were killed.  The marvelous commander was of course one of the survivors.  The seige was broken with relatively few civilian lives lost (which part of the word lockdown did they not understand?).  The ensuing tantrum spiral, however, took half or more of the civilians.  I got a Dwarven bone bin out of that, but lost the bridge.  A small wave of migrants arrived, followed by the Elven caravan.  Goblin ambushes started popping up then, and I quit.  The only way I can see to improve life in that fortress is to lock the gate and spend a lot of time digging.

My comments on the fortress design:

IMO the barracks ought to be between the gate and the main stairwell, not behind the main stairwell.
If that is an archer's ledge above the bridge, it ought to be accessible from the Dwarven side rather than from the enemy side.
The use of the minecart to make a single humongous quantum stockpile was interesting, but makes it hard to find things at first.
Dumping all of the refuse in one pile, down a shaft, does contain the miasma but also removes potential moody Dwarf materials from circulation.

I felt cramped in this fortress, and I didn't understand the odd digging to nowhere off in the corners of the map.  I missed having magma workshops.

That military commander was amazing, though.   :D

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »

I stationed the commander right next to the raised bridge then walled off the rest of the fort and unleashed the commander upon the siege.

He routed it by himself with only minor bruising on his foot.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 07:42:32 pm »

Holy crap, that militia commander is a badass. He's holding 5 weapons plus a shield and two of the weapons are named.

Edit: I like how you have all of your dwarves mingling amidst the huge graveyard.

The graveyard wasn't intended.

After the first or second siege, I had lost about 50-60 dwarves, and had like 150 coffins laying around. No open space, no miners, and a LOT of dead bodies in the midst of a tantrum spiral. Hence, meeting area becomes graveyard.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 07:50:33 pm »

My comments on the fortress design:

IMO the barracks ought to be between the gate and the main stairwell, not behind the main stairwell.
If that is an archer's ledge above the bridge, it ought to be accessible from the Dwarven side rather than from the enemy side.
The use of the minecart to make a single humongous quantum stockpile was interesting, but makes it hard to find things at first.
Dumping all of the refuse in one pile, down a shaft, does contain the miasma but also removes potential moody Dwarf materials from circulation.

I felt cramped in this fortress, and I didn't understand the odd digging to nowhere off in the corners of the map.  I missed having magma workshops.

That military commander was amazing, though.   :D

The "archers" ledge, as dumb as it is, was built primarily so dwarves caught on the closing of the bridge didn't get disappeared. I did later turn it into an archers ledge on my save, and it works fantastic for picking off sieges with the bridge up.

The odd digging was my exploration mining, away from the fort incase a cavern was breached, and because I don't like a bunch of random digging in my fort. I do suck at exploration mining though.