Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lots of children  (Read 4029 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lots of children
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:20:05 pm »

My fort has 132 dwarves currently. 32 are children. My baby_child_cap is set to 10:10. So a maximum of 10 children. None of them were born here.

So is it at all normal for a ridiculous percentage of migrants to be married couples who bring along their children. Enough to where effectively one fourth of my fortress population is socializing around the meeting hall being useless?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of children
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »

My fort has 132 dwarves currently. 32 are children. My baby_child_cap is set to 10:10. So a maximum of 10 children. None of them were born here.

So is it at all normal for a ridiculous percentage of migrants to be married couples who bring along their children. Enough to where effectively one fourth of my fortress population is socializing around the meeting hall being useless?
Only 25% of your fort is children?  Lucky you...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:43:44 pm »

Automated magma death machine time? I think so.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:47:30 pm »

I read a good one.

Make a pit whose only exit is a constructed ramp. Make all the adults go elsewhere (burrow them, station them, or just do this in the middle of a mass hauling job) and set the ramps to be deconstructed.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dwarfinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 07:50:37 pm »

Only 32? It's only until you get 70 children and babies running around that it gets ridiculous.
Mwah ha ha ha ha....

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 07:56:38 pm »

Its early yet for my fort, Late Spring of 998 (the second year), and only 2 of 22 are children.  Of course my baby-cap is currently set to Plaid.*  No migrant children so far, and those two were born in the last couple of months.

* For those who want the real numbers, it is at 1000:1000, but the pop-cap is at 20.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 09:02:21 pm »

I'm worried that killing them would cause a tantrum spiral, I want my adult workers to still be useful. Although having thirty ghosts of dwarven children spooking around would admittedly be pretty cool.

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:07:58 pm »

My dwarves are so happy that over half of my fort is made up of dwarven babies.

Dwarves be humping, yo.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 10:10:16 pm »

ive had a fortress with 127 dwarves and 79 of them were children. that sucks.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 12:57:37 am »

Well, I managed to solve my problems with a draconian child-cap and a nice tantrum spiral. That tantrum spiral put a huge dent in their population, and "divorced" dwarves who might try to repopulate.Yeah, now I have only 10 kids, out of 186. :D
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:40:52 am »

I keep seeing children harvest plants from the farms, so I had a thought, why not just put them all in a burrow covering all the farmplots, and the food stockpiles with a couple community bedrooms. Then free up all your farmers to do other productive things.

Does it have to be set to all civilians harvest for children to do this?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 01:41:55 am »

I keep seeing children harvest plants from the farms, so I had a thought, why not just put them all in a burrow covering all the farmplots, and the food stockpiles with a couple community bedrooms. Then free up all your farmers to do other productive things.

Yes.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 01:43:29 am »

Yes.

Can burrow-magic prevent regular civilians from also harvesting?

edit: I'm theorizing that changing the adult age for dwarves to soemthing lower in the raws would prevent the insane number of children that we get now.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 01:44:43 am »

Yes.

Can burrow-magic prevent regular civilians from also harvesting?

Only if everything BUT the plots were burrowed.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 08:47:03 am »

Ok, I'm new to this game and I know personally that is nothing... I was facing a food shortage crisis in my new fortress (too busy focusing on other things, I forgot I had to keep a supply of food). I got to the stage of calling everyone back and making them all do their best to get food... Out of a population of 72, i had only 38 that weren't children... They were eating me dry
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together
Pages: [1] 2