Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen / You Are A Kai Commander, Day 41  (Read 85584 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Not Quite Day 20
« Reply #765 on: August 08, 2012, 01:40:42 am »

A Drone can easily kill an unarmored human with its bite alone, and could otherwise kill a human in a short period of time. Your Soldiers through unarmored humans would be like a scythe through wheat. Your Soldier offspring are more "light infantry", while the War Queen's offspring will be "heavy infantry".

A Drone could eventually bite anything short of a tank or a reinforced building. Many Drones make it faster. A Soldier could fight through a city by smashing through and a spacecraft by going through bulkheads. A Predator will virtually shred a tank and can breach an armored spacecraft from the outside. War Queen can use vehicles as weapons, and in the Combat Suit, can use medium tanks as clubs.  Tech Queen is halfway between Soldier and Predator; in a Combat Suit she'd be like a L2 Predator.

Think "Giant, rust-colored space wasps / crabs" and you'll get the general idea.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 08, 2012, 02:15:24 am »

Hm, I was pretty sure that we made that digger fertile when we leveled it up... Should do it later. Digger queen, digger queen, digger queen. I want a digger queen

We do need some kind of fertility marker in the stats. I offer (f) and (m)

As for making larvae fertile, I am not sure which one we should use

1 T-6 Soldier Larvae (Large, Improved Hands, Intelligent, Sightly Cold-Tolerant, Slightly Camouflaged,  Partial Regeneration, Slightly Improved Metabolism Acid Spit)

Or

1 T-9 Soldier Larvae (Small, Improved Hands, Improved Sensory, Intelligent, Slightly Cold-Tolerant, Slightly Camouflaged,  Partial Regeneration, Slightly Improved Metabolism, Acid Spit)

T-6 should make great "Tanks", and T-9 will make nice commando, pilots, scouts
If we abandon idea to try to improve larvae further, I suggest to make them both fertile, and mate with war queen...

i think our Uses for royal jelly, in order of importance
1) Make T-9 fertile
2) Make T-6 fertile
3) Let the nurse grow
4) Improve Level 2 digger further, make it fertile male, make it smarter, improve it's senses (except vision, that may be even lowered or removed) Semi blind underground subrace is just cool

BTW does anyone notices that human loyalist are pretty useful as pilots? We should try to start training program (by creating a simulator) and train them to be stealth fighter pilots, then we may make sizable force of like 10+ stealth fighters. Add many mechanical soldiers and some flying soldiers and we will rule the skies
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:18:45 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 08, 2012, 02:42:07 am »

While our forces are effective at close ranges our current environment is somewhat hostile to such ranges, with a sparsity of obstructions to ranged weaponry and a lack of visibility-impairing weather. Use of antisensory weapons, such as low-intensity lasers, focused light-emitters, high-intensity sonic emitters, thermal and visual flares, cloud generators, and sticky-matter projectors, could some-what improve this. Additionally, any focus in close-range combat would be of extremely limited use in combat between interplanetary vessels...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 08, 2012, 02:55:09 am »

In fact close combat is very useful in space combat, boarding teams will kick asses.

But here on Mars, close combat gives little benefit, there are many more practical ways to kill bipeds.

Does anyone agree that we should at least consider to try to win air superiority by focusing our industry on airforce?

BTW, GM, this is  wrong
4 S-5 Scout Larvae
3 S-8 Flying Soldier Larvae
2 T-5 Soldier Larvae
3 T-6 Soldier Larvae
1 T-7 Soldier Larvae
1 T-9 Soldier Larvae
We lost 2 S-8 and 1 T-6 to experiments

While I support raiding, ground vehicles are way to visible, unnecessary risk
Point taken. How about 4-5 soldiers, 1-2 with artillery rigs, some form of air support, and some drones as the main force, considering they're mostly expendable.

Question: Would war queen drones be more dangerous than our current drones? If so, in what ways?

Risk is not to lose some soldiers, risk is too get discovered. And there are absolutely no need to lose drones, War Queen, probably, can take civilian town by itself, using only melee, without scratches. But we need some other forces to cut any attempt escape. Stealth carrier can get sizable force to any nearby target, we must use that
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:16:16 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 08, 2012, 03:12:16 am »

While our forces are effective at close ranges our current environment is somewhat hostile to such ranges, with a sparsity of obstructions to ranged weaponry and a lack of visibility-impairing weather. Use of antisensory weapons, such as low-intensity lasers**, focused light-emitters**, high-intensity sonic emitters***, thermal and visual flares****, cloud generators*****, and sticky-matter projectors******, could some-what improve this. Additionally, any focus in close-range combat would be of extremely limited use in combat between interplanetary vessels...*******
Mars has
a)Lot's of craters
b) Freaking Sand storms. Due to the low gravity/ athmospheric density and stuff, winds speeds can become much higher and sand stay up much longer. In fact, we'll probably just need to detonate a few explosives/ use the shield* to create a protective shield..

*Mars sand is electrically charged due to the solar wind and Mars having no magnetic field.
**Sand blocks these, and everyone will have protective filters due to Mars lower athmospheric density. Don't want to be blinded by the sun.
***I doubt the athmosphere is dense enough to get a good effect.
****: +1, shouldn't be hard
*****: Hello Magnetic shield + Polarized Sand
******: ?
*******: 1. Boarding 2. Scrap rocket.(Aim at target, fire and watch how the target is shredded apart)

Air superiority is nice though. Maybe we should also construct a Stealth Base Carrier. Which is a Stealth carrier converted into a permanent base.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 08, 2012, 11:15:05 am »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:55 am »

http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html

I have to post this. >.>
Good old Spirit.

Also, a question. We should check the current data. Mars has a six year storm cycle, and it's best to know when it takes place. (Such a storm can reduce the incoming sunlight to 1% of it's normal value.)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 08, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »

No dust cycles are going to occur for a while, unless We decide to create one.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 08, 2012, 01:44:25 pm »

No dust cycles are going to occur for a while, unless We decide to create one.
Well actually, they should be occuring. There was a sandstorm somewhere 20 days ago which means that a stormcycle is going on. Maybe one of the humans terraforming projects stops it. See if there are any projects interfering with pressure/ temperature and something. If can destroy that, we can cut off their transportation and part of their power supply.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 08, 2012, 01:52:56 pm »

Agreed on that, but I propose that we hit an outpost first, to test our forces and get a feel for raids. We might get some new tech and materials or scavenge some vehicles.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 08, 2012, 02:08:32 pm »

But something very isolated and very civilian, no need to come in contact with real forces

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 08, 2012, 02:23:02 pm »

Yes, humans have quite a few big factories whose sole purpose is to produce greenhouse gases and CFC's, as well as big ol' cattle ranches. Cows way outnumber Humans on Mars. There's also a few stations and things that seem to serve as local storm barriers, and a few of these devices placed around the planet in dusty craters and the like.

It doesn't completely stop storms, it just helps stop them from occurring. One might come after the current weather-cycle, of course.

Also, the game does not quite synch up with realtime, real-life Mars. It does for most things, but weather and current position aren't among them.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 08, 2012, 04:46:31 pm »

Yes, humans have quite a few big factories whose sole purpose is to produce greenhouse gases and CFC's, as well as big ol' cattle ranches. Cows way outnumber Humans on Mars. There's also a few stations and things that seem to serve as local storm barriers, and a few of these devices placed around the planet in dusty craters and the like.

It doesn't completely stop storms, it just helps stop them from occurring. One might come after the current weather-cycle, of course.

Also, the game does not quite synch up with realtime, real-life Mars. It does for most things, but weather and current position aren't among them.
Hit a ranch, slaughter everything, and get as much food back as possible. If flowers of life are given more biomass, will they reproduce faster?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 08, 2012, 04:59:18 pm »

Captured cows have many more uses than fertlizier, and we have no food problems currently.  But we really need is a second base, not loot

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 08, 2012, 05:17:54 pm »

There's four units capable of true leadership and several who can lead others, so at this point "raid settlement" and "establish second base" are not mutually exclusive actions.

They won't grow or reproduce faster, but they'll grow better. There's still plenty of room to improve the soil with bacteria and whatnot.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57