Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 57

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen / You Are A Kai Commander, Day 41  (Read 85628 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Midday 19: The Strategizing!
« Reply #735 on: August 04, 2012, 04:50:37 am »

1) We do need to fortify our main base. Of cause we should do it in a stealthy way, but we must be ready if humans detect us

Magnetic shield is a good and necessary idea, but I gave few more
a) Mines. Simply, hard to detect and damages morale
b) Digged down automatic turrets, that can move up and spray enemy with bullets
c) Multiple exits both for evacuation of key units and resources and striking behind human lines

2) Our colonization of the planet should be focused on undeground, in that way, even if we lose to human reinforcments, they'll have  huge problems with eradicating huge, deep, highly defended hives . We need better equipment for digging, more underground flowers, reliable geothermal and fusion generators, and digging queen. Problem that we don't have digger eggs or larvae, so this will take some time. Tech queen should wait for new unfertilized eggs, mate with digger, then choose the best digger larvae, turn it in a queen and wait until She mature. Of cause we may mate digger with War queen.... but granddaugher will be less loyal then daughter and we don't really need digger\soldiers at this stage

3) While orbital defense is indeed better option, we should go with land to space defense system, because it's easier to develop, build and maintain. It will be our only hope to stop the counterattack from Earth

But I a starting to worry due to lack of updates
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 04, 2012, 05:53:54 am »

I am not convinced that planetary-based defences are easier to build or develop and maintenance may be more efficient. Weaponry would involve energy, which would be highly diffused by atmospheric forces, or material, which would involve delivering material into extra-planetary space. If we possess the capacity to deliver material into extra-planetary(E.P.) space then we can install E.P. weapon installations which, once installed, will have far fewer environmental obstacles to overcome from a development perspective. A single planetary weapon would require significant resources if it is to overcome the environmental obstacles, where as an E.P. weapon Would require a significant deliver vehicle, but the weaponry itself would have relatively few requirements and a single delivery vehicle may well be able to deploy numerous weapons. Maintenance would, indeed, be an obstacle, but little would be required when not in use and the small requirements of individual weapons would make them comparatively replaceable. Planetary weapons would deteriorate due to exposure to far more numerous chemical and kinetic hazards and would require perpetually maintained stealth measures where as the E.P. Weapons would be satisfied with minimally functional sensory apparatus and active motive defences that would only be required in times of active hostility. The likely planetary weapons would be a coil-gun with extremely high energy compared to calibre, which would be difficult to aim and of limited long-term value due to its static location and ease of detection and would have a long flight-time compared to E.P. distances, or a missile stockpile which would be easily countered with active defences and long flight-time but would, at least, be accurate. The likely E.P. weapon systems would be missiles with a comparatively lower mass to effect ratio, and energy weapons, likely lasers, which would have issues with cooling but could likely prove effective enough to counter a small-scale assault would have near indefinite operating time provided that they operated within tolerances.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 04, 2012, 12:17:43 pm »

Orbital defense have some disadvantages

1) Hard to repair, even small damage may make it nonoperational
2) Very vulnerable to small crafts and guided missiles
3) We'll either need to develop specialized crew or make it automatic.
4) It's pretty hard to hide, while land based can be made almost invisible until first shot
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 05, 2012, 10:39:23 pm »

Thread isn't dead, I was just out of town for a while. Sorry about that! Update tomorrow.

Two notes: one, we're landing on Mars with a science vessel. WHOO YEAH!

Two, stay hydrated! I had a blackout seizure from dehydration, and jammed my knee pretty good, as well as the big ol' lump on my head. Trust me - it is NOT something you ever want to have happen to you. A blackout and head-bonk knocked me pretty good, I could barely remember my own name. .___.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 05, 2012, 10:41:02 pm »

Are we going to have a science-related happening on the humans side, then? ;D
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 05, 2012, 10:58:14 pm »

Yes, yes we are.

A few notes in response to... responses:

Pirates take slaves and leave some people alive, usually. The people aren't usually sane by the time the pirates are through, but a few exceptions apply. There's specifically two pirate queens that seem to have a method of "compensated servitude" and a reputation for using solutions other than violence. The one Stampy defected from is one of them.

Drones can be pretty capable, and have the advantage of being able to be possessed and near-instantaneous communication. As of yet, Our technology doesn't have that capacity.

Yes, the Human side will pretty much split into factions quickly, if everything Stampy suggests is right. Possibly not instantly, but cities far apart from each other will quickly lose loyalty.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 06, 2012, 03:23:49 pm »

You - or more properly at this point, We - have another quantum eternity of planning. At it stands, We decide that our current strategy is... lacking. After a while of consensus and debate, the plan for conquest forms - expansion, raiding, and building up until the prime moment for a massive first strike, with keys being mobility, independence, and the ability to strike REALLY hard.

As such, We proceed to the mechanical lab to design a whole new series of land vehicles - rockets, lasers, a command vehicle, and a heavy hybrid tank/APC designed to function as a portable base.  These work rather well. The rocket truck, naturally, is slower than the rest, but is more heavily armored. The Laser APC completely exceeds expectations, boasting not only a Light Pumped Tribarrel Cannon, but a few Double-Barreled AA Railguns capable of simultaneous operation. The command vehicle works exactly as expected, serving as a Mechanical Commander for the onboard computer systems and as a sensor processing vehicle.

As We work, the Commanders take the place of the War Queen, who proceeds to work on improving the missiles and processing Pollen Fuel. Diggers dig for more materials, while Drones assemble parts, do installation, and the rest. The Nurse proceeds with experiments, and note that the Human embryo appears to be growing at twice its usual rate with only a minor increase in genetic errors. It has temporarily ceased the breeding experiments to allow the Larvae to recover. The Navigation Drones work together on the Sensory Array, with the Programmer doing the firmware while the M-Drones and the other work to expand sensory capabilities on the surface.

Last of all, We complete our work on the Mobile Base, which, in the end, looks NOTHING like an APC. On the other hand, it certainly does have the biggest reactor that could be put in, armor enough to rival a Predator, resource processing equipment, and various assemblers and devices to quickly establish a base. Unfortunately, there's no room left over for a full-sized cannon; room is left on top to mount a Heavy Autocannon and a Soldier to fire it.

The War Queen, in the meantime, has taken designs from the computers and Our mind, and creates a supply of Pure Fusion Multistage Rockets for her own rocket launcher and the initial Rocket APC (mostly, her own use). Drones beside her are creating Shaped Mines, Thermobaric Mines, and Shrapnel Mines out of a slurry of Refined Fuel and various compounds the Nurse is extruding - over 150 have already been produced, mostly of the Shrapnel variety.

Spoiler: "Shaped Mine" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Thermobaric Mine" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Shrapnel Mine" (click to show/hide)

You decide to add a "Pending Inventions" to the Infodump, and add in all of the ideas. For the rest of the night, until an hour before dawn, the remainder of the time is spent in expanding the processing area, the manufacturing facility and beginning to assemble the assemblers and other machines for rapid production.

[Important changes are in bold. Credit goes to 10ebbor10 for the new, prettier Infodump!]

Spoiler: You Are (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Developing Eggs (click to show/hide)

Your Nest
Location - the general area of Here
Visibility - Hard to Detect by Casual Scans
Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Indoors (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: You own (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your food (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Human Loyalists (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Inventions (click to show/hide)

Your Planets:
Unnamed Yellow Dwarf Sun [Sol]
Unnamed Iron-Rich Cold Partially Terraformed Planet, 4th from Unnamed Sun [Mars]
- Unnamed Moon [Phobos]
- Unnamed Moon [Demios]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:06:48 pm by Ross Vernal »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Not Quite Day 20
« Reply #742 on: August 06, 2012, 03:40:06 pm »

I tried to get some more organisation into the tabs. Not sure if I'm succesfull. I'll await the judgement of orders before trying to do the others.

Spoiler: Reorganized us (click to show/hide)

As for the turn. The Bases are interesting ,but are probably to slow to be able to use without camouflage. Try to see if we can get that working. (Both passive with paints and active with magnetic shields throwing up sand around the craft and such.)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 06, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »

Oh hey, that format actually looks good and makes sense. Stealing that for convenience of everyone.

Side note: the inclusion of Sensory arrays and the rest on the AEPS/ACS suits and APC's and the like was done quietly in the background by non-working Drones. It's almost as easy as plug and play.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 06, 2012, 04:20:56 pm »

Spoiler: You own (click to show/hide)

New one.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 06, 2012, 05:41:58 pm »

Stealing that, too.

Since it's not a hard process to paint the vehicle, a few Drones begin work. There's a little bit of passive stealth built into the design, but no active countermeasures.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 06, 2012, 05:49:33 pm »

my suggestion

1) Lay s4 light predator eggs
2) Design magnetic shields of various sizes
3) Design light bomber bot
4) Design light bomber bot variant: flying mining bot. This bots should be able to setup all our new mines (this is useful both for mining area around our base  in a safe manner and later mining important passages all over the planet)
5) Build light bomber bots and several  miners
7) Continue experiments with soldier larvae
8) I am still sure that we should catch some small isolated settlement and make the second base. Flyers, + commanders, + aircrafts + human loyalist should do it easily
9) Dig escape tunnels, with well hidden exits far from base

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:14 pm »

Magnetic shielding was designed on Day 13 on a small scale (vehicle-sized) and the base-sized shields were installed at semi-random on Day 15. Obviously, putting it into a standard APC would limit cargo size. The Mobile Base MkII could squeeze in a decent shield generator for itself and a few vehicles in tight formation. A Command APC could do it, but it'd limit its sensory role.

In fact, here's all the land vehicles.

6-slot vehicles

Spoiler: Standard APC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Laser APC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rocket APC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nuclear APC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Command APC (click to show/hide)

12-slot vehicles

Spoiler: Mobile Base (click to show/hide)

Armor slots can be exchanged for cargo and vice versa.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 06, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »

Consider that we can produce research and production drones as quickly as we can produce military drones. Military drones represent mass that must be moved over large distances, while research and production drones may be retained close to the production centres and therefore be more efficiently supplied. Note also that the bipeds likely possess area-destruction weaponry that would be extremely effective against a massed assault.

Proposals:
1: Develop a penetrating sensor array to locate and identify potentially dangerous entities in the surrounding area such as high-energy devices, vital functions, unstable mass concentrations, unstable chemicals, and regions that cannot be sensed. Ideally this would penetrate common biped construction materials.
2: Develop a sensor/processor/weapon combination to automatically detonate explosive devices approaching at high speed. This would probably involve a visual/thermal scanner, a processor to identify large projectiles and adjust for weapon inaccuracy, and a high-intensity laser to cause surface explosions on the projectile.
3: Develop a similar combination to locate magnetic disturbances and direct magnetic deflection fields to direct magnetic particles away from the warded entity.
4: Develop a fully automated weapon array to identify and destroy all hostile entities with maximum practical swiftness. This should not be provided with effective weaponry until significant testing has been completed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:17:48 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 06, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »

Consider that we can produce research and production drones as quickly as we can produce military drones. Military drones represent mass that must be moved over large distances, while research and production drones may be retained close to the production centres and therefore be more efficiently supplied. Note also that the bipeds likely possess area-destruction weaponry that would be extremely effective against a massed assault.

It's not easy to produce economic drones when we are geearing up for  war and one of our queens is specialized in making soldiers... too late to change strategy. As for area destruction weaponry, I'd not overestimate it's quantity and power. Besides we are planing to use hit and run strategy
Also consider that soldiers can loot supplies

Proposals:
1: Develop a penetrating sensor array to locate and identify potentially dangerous entities in the surrounding area such as high-energy devices, vital functions, unstable mass concentrations, unstable chemicals, and regions that cannot be sensed. Ideally this would penetrate common biped construction materials.

Fully support this, good intelligence always useful. Ideally it would be so small that can become part of scout's AEPS or mounted on mechnical scouts

2: Develop a sensor/processor/weapon combination to automatically detonate explosive devices approaching at high speed. This would probably involve a visual/thermal scanner, a processor to identify large projectiles and adjust for weapon inaccuracy, and a high-intensity laser to cause surface explosions on the projectile.

3: Develop a similar combination to locate magnetic disturbances and direct magnetic deflection fields to direct magnetic particles away from the warded entity

Strongly against, it's basically a waste of R&D and production potential, because such system will be useful and effective in very few situations.
Basically there are three scenarios
1) Humans use no such projective = useless equipment
2) humans use small amount of such projective, we shot down all. It looks good, but that small amount wouldn't hurt us much, It's cheaper to repair the damage
3) humans use large amount of such projective - system overwhelmed and destroyed

Why are you so afraid of losses and ready to spend huge resources to avoid it?

4: Develop a fully automated weapon array to identify and destroy all hostile entities with maximum practical swiftness. This should not be provided with effective weaponry until significant testing has been completed.
Do you mean system with dozens of guns (or more) ? Big no.

And I like your wording... Basically it's develop system that can fight without us and kill everything easily, another way to avoid any losses and another unpractical solution

Automated turrets on the other hand, may be much more useful and easier to develop
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 57