Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen / You Are A Kai Commander, Day 41  (Read 85658 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Midday 19
« Reply #705 on: July 27, 2012, 10:46:00 am »

Anything complex is less reliable then simpler things, and you are talking like R&D time worth nothing
There are other factors that contribute towards reliability and the complexity is currently unknown. A shielded box with a radioactive element within is a good deal simpler than a coil-gun. If we have access to elements that can be stimulated to produce various forms of radiation, a chamber to focus its emission, and a variable power source then it should be possible to construct something that is reliable until the elements expire, which should be predictable, or the power source or chamber are damaged, which should be easily detectable. Active defences should be about as simple as any other turret, more so if they are designed to limit the mechanical operations required, such as by focusing a laser through a refraction array, which would be desirable in a system that requires high-speed operation. And sensory equipment would aid in almost any aspect of operation.
 Time is currently an abundant resource as there are no known critical events that are not under our own control. If that could, however, change if we were to expose ourselves...

Problem is that we are at numerical disadvantage, and humans can just spam that active defense with tons of shots or simple carpet bombing.
If our forces confront opposition that could overwhelm such defences then they would be in a far better situation with them than without them. The alternatives would be to be so heavily armoured that our forces would be immune to such ordinance, which would likely limit their mobility to such an extent that they would be subject to any conditions that our opposition could engineer, To completely deny any direct confrontations, or to have no defence against such weaponry aside from, what, jumping out of the way of super-sonic guided projectiles and explosive area-bombardment?[/quote]

If one unit of our military is worth many units of the opposition's then a smaller force can be deployed confidently against a larger.
Problem with this approach that smaller force can be 1) surrounded 2) suppressed by raw firepower 3) avoided
1: A force with superior mobility and information that is difficult to suppress with heavy weapons would be able to detect and withdraw from an overwhelming force while engaging manageable opposition. If withdrawing is not an option then the only means of preventing a siege is to have superior support which would, in turn, require some capacity to confront a numerically superior opponent directly. If the larger force is inferior to the smaller force then the effect of surrounding the smaller force is to limits its support at the cost of dispersing the larger force, making it easily separated and destroyed by the smaller, more organised force.
2+3: Superior sensor equipment and protection against long-range weaponry would be valuable in avoiding confronting superior forces or being evaded by hostile forces.

Smaller forces are typically easier to supply, easier to redeploy, easier to control, and much more capable of operating independently within hostile territory.
That's true. But to use  this natural advantages of smaller forces we need  mobility and firepower
And again, we need ability to strike supply lines, supply depots, production centers. That's much more important than ability to kill enemy soldiers slightly better
Exactly, the ability to quickly locate and disable a wide range of hostile entities is far more important than slightly improved numbers with slightly more powerful weaponry.

Given our technological superiority and the disparity in awareness it seems wise to institute a policy of incorporating devices into all remote operations capable of destroying all identifiable evidence of ourselves that are to be activated should it seem probable that our forces are to become subject to the biped's influence.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 27, 2012, 12:05:44 pm »

1. The automated defense system just seems to me to be an automated surgical strike thingy. I'm all for giving our defenses a primitive Ai system.

As for the radiation gun. NO

Radiation is utterly useless as a weapon. It doesn't penetrate armor, it can't be aimed, it doesn't kill untill you administer very high dosages, at which point the radiation would also kill the person firing the weapon. Then we also need to get a reliable source of radiation. However, I don't think we have reliable portable nuclear fission/fusion reactors, and we haven't got portable particle arcelerators either.

Another problem is that the radiation will actively jam the guns mechanics, which therefore need to be heavily shielded, and therefore heavy. Also, when we have got a portable fusion reactor, we can use it for a more useful purpose, like powering laser weaponry. If we got a moving particle generator, we can use it as a highly advanced railgun.

The only way I can see a radiation weapon working is a single use Area destruction weapon, a neutron bomb or something.

As far as I can see, the active defenses are some sort of long range automatic artillery cannon. Why make it automatic, we can control it too and use it to take out areas of interest. Surely we're less likely to make errors than some automated software. Besides, such a system won't survive long. The humans will just set up a railgun and fire some precision shots, before the system can take them out. Even a light caliber gun will do, as they can trace the shots and easily find the non moveable gun

Sadly, the humans have the homefield advantage in all 3 cases. They have maps and sattelites, and a large amount of vehicles . The only thing we can hope for is to stay out of the way of the humans and have them not notice us. As long as we keep to Guerilla warfare, they are not really going to attack.

Sadly, that ability will not last long. The humans will trace the shots, and overrun our defenses. Our best bet is to stay on the move, keep our main base hidden, and only attack low priority targets. To that cause we need to have highly effective troops, not the highly noticeable ability to shoot things from afar. if we 're going for artillery support, I would vote for a long range and rather cheap solution. Ie, the V-3 I mentioned before. We can make that from iron pipes. We dig a hole, fire it a single target, then blow it up and get out before the shells have arrived.  Besides, we haven't got the scanning range nor the offensive capabilities to support such a weapon. Not yet anyway.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 27, 2012, 12:47:12 pm »

Long range and cheap is what I want. But I'd prefer mobile MRLS. Bassically APCes with rockets. But stationary are nice, too. Especially for taking down that depot

Also, IMO, we need combat robots, many combat robots
1) they don't consume food. We can charge their batteries from our fusion reactor
2) If humans attacked by that, they may assume that bots made by other humans and that's good for Us
3) They can be produced much quicker than better soldiers, that need time to mature

As for hiding our main base, we can't do it forever, so should be ready for siege
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 27, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »

We don't like radiation either. It is tolerable to an extent greater than humans, but putting an egg-layer or a regenerator behind a radiation weapon is a Bad Idea. We have advantages over the humans. We breed faster, have better discipline, near-instantaneous communication, are way tougher/faster/stronger, and don't need "morale". Of course, humans have almost every single other advantage. Like, We have basically 3 tanks - both Predators and the War Queen. They have many tanks, ranging from "heavy" to "light hovertank".

There's room aboard the APC's for a small reactor and some batteries. It's nowhere near as powerful as the one in our Hive (that's starting to get pretty damn near to capacity, for the record) but it should work to power a cannon and make a few shots. There'd be room for a Drone pilot and a repair bot, but otherwise it would be totally filled up. We can also do research on more efficient fusion power if needed.

Likewise, a multirocket launcher is a valid idea.

As far as making big powerful weapons without fallout? It has been stated that we can make pure fusion bombs, and that a Pollen Fuel rocket is a big boom. Remember the single mine flipping the Human carrier?

Sensory arrays, we can totally do, no research needed.

http://sun-tzu-aow.blogspot.com/2009/05/chapter-6-vacuity-and-substance.html

(Another fun fact: My dad worked in the Lawrence Livermore Labs on the Shiva laser fusion project. He had a grant to work on his theoretical baseball-wound superconductor but they diverted him over to Shiva.

Kind of sucks, but there you go.)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 27, 2012, 01:19:55 pm »

>Make sidenote to upgrade the reactor if possible soon.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 27, 2012, 01:30:03 pm »

>Make sidenote to upgrade the reactor if possible soon.
Or we can try to construct a geothermal reactor. We do have the water availble, so it shouldn't be that hard.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 27, 2012, 02:43:35 pm »

Also, side note: I appear to have missed putting the Stasis Chamber in place, forgot to move the 2 Human Repair Bots to "Improved M-Repair Drones", and to include the Stealth Scout Fighter as well.

As expected, the Stealth Fighter is a Soldier/Drone/Bot trio - the Soldier to shoot, Drone to keep it flying, and the Bot to repair damage. The next IC post will be updated with the relevant information.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 27, 2012, 09:02:44 pm »

1. The automated defense system just seems to me to be an automated surgical strike thingy. I'm all for giving our defenses a primitive Ai system.
It would be automated because living organisms are generally too slow to shoot incoming missiles and bombs or to deflect incoming magnetic objects. It would be designed to cause explosives or fuel to explode prematurely in something like a missile or bomb, or to use the magnetic deflectors that we have already theorised to deflect magnetic projectiles. These would be different systems and might not be compatible...

As for the radiation gun. NO

Radiation is utterly useless as a weapon. It doesn't penetrate armor, it can't be aimed, it doesn't kill untill you administer very high dosages, at which point the radiation would also kill the person firing the weapon. Then we also need to get a reliable source of radiation. However, I don't think we have reliable portable nuclear fission/fusion reactors, and we haven't got portable particle arcelerators either.

Another problem is that the radiation will actively jam the guns mechanics, which therefore need to be heavily shielded, and therefore heavy. Also, when we have got a portable fusion reactor, we can use it for a more useful purpose, like powering laser weaponry. If we got a moving particle generator, we can use it as a highly advanced railgun.

The only way I can see a radiation weapon working is a single use Area destruction weapon, a neutron bomb or something.

An electric torch is a directed radiation device. The visible spectrum is quite easy to work with. Further up the spectrum radiation tends to be more difficult to generate and more capable of penetrating solid objects. Radiation as a weapon inflicts damage upon the entirety of the exposed subjects and so lacks the catastrophic wounds of more concentrated weapons such as kinetic projectiles that will completely disable whatever they penetrate, however a highly focused beam, a laser for example, can disable a specific component in a similar fashion, although with a reduction in energy dissipation effects... The radiation will affect all exposed mass with a steadily decreasing effect as it penetrates that mass. An armoured target will still be subject to high-penetrating radiation at a proportion of approximately the target's own mass compared to that of the armour. Given the relatively fragile nature of living organisms, they are likely to fail before their armour does. It would require more energy but a non-ionising form of radiation would also function as a weapon which would be less likely to cause collateral damage. The speed with which a target was disabled would also be a function of the intensity of the radiation and their exposure. A sufficiently intense broadcast would be able to near-instantly disable an armoured target.

The troubles with such weaponry are mostly technological, a matter of finding an element capable of producing the desired wave-length and containment capable of directing it. The only major nontechnological disadvantages are potentially high energy requirements, the potential for subsequent emission of radiation from exposed subjects, the possibility of reflection of the radiation, which should only occur in opponents capable of employing such weaponry themselves, and damage to salvageable resources.

But any versatile energy form would suffice, sonic energy would be difficult to weaponize but would have many of the desired properties. Blast-waves would be difficult to direct and tend to dissipate. Laser arrays are a form of radiation weapon but could easily be constructed to have a controllable spread and intensity. Even visible-spectrum radiation could serve to disable devices sensitive to it.
As far as I can see, the active defenses are some sort of long range automatic artillery cannon. Why make it automatic, we can control it too and use it to take out areas of interest. Surely we're less likely to make errors than some automated software. Besides, such a system won't survive long. The humans will just set up a railgun and fire some precision shots, before the system can take them out. Even a light caliber gun will do, as they can trace the shots and easily find the non moveable gun

They would be mounted, either on the soldiers or on support vehicles depending upon practicality. They would be designed to stop incoming projectiles, specifically either very large calibre projectiles such as missiles or magnetic projectiles such as those from a coil-gun, depending upon the type of counter-agent employed. The counter-agent would likely be a high-speed kinetic-projectile emitting turret, a sustained-laser emitting array either turreted or directed into refractors, or a magnetic deflection field.
A sensor array for detecting and reporting weapon discharges would be a supporting system that would keep a soldier informed of the recent locations of active weapons.
Sadly, the humans have the homefield advantage in all 3 cases. They have maps and sattelites, and a large amount of vehicles . The only thing we can hope for is to stay out of the way of the humans and have them not notice us. As long as we keep to Guerilla warfare, they are not really going to attack.

All the more reason to possess the sensory equipment to rapidly locate hostile entities and the active defences to prevent the use of heavy weapons against our transportation.
Sadly, that ability will not last long. The humans will trace the shots, and overrun our defenses. Our best bet is to stay on the move, keep our main base hidden, and only attack low priority targets. To that cause we need to have highly effective troops, not the highly noticeable ability to shoot things from afar. if we 're going for artillery support, I would vote for a long range and rather cheap solution. Ie, the V-3 I mentioned before. We can make that from iron pipes. We dig a hole, fire it a single target, then blow it up and get out before the shells have arrived.  Besides, we haven't got the scanning range nor the offensive capabilities to support such a weapon. Not yet anyway.
When we disable the satellites we will want to have a clear superiority in ground sensors and should make this a priority.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 27, 2012, 09:50:34 pm »

A small, fast moving hard hitting force is what the germans used in WW2, and it worked well until they ran out of supplies, and overexctended themselves in the russain winter, in fact Blitzkrieg tactics are the basis for moderen Armoured warfare. Add that with guerilla tactics if we know the terrain well enough well that style of warfare caused the first US defeat in a war in all history history, or at least since they became a world power, so perhaps you should focus on that style when you develope your tech.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »

We can do point defense lasers, in both static, mobile, flying, and portable versions. The portable one would be more of an anti-Human system than an anti-armor system, admittedly.

As it stands so far?

The light infantry is equipped with either light armor or extremely heavy armor to make it slow heavy infantry / mobile artillery, while the incoming heavy infantry is being bred to be smaller, going for "speed" over "armor and strength". 
There's a small mechanical air force and some stealth APC's armed with weapons, a single air carrier, and a single stealth fighter, as well as our own mixed forces. Out of our "tank" units, two are equipped to be kind-of hovertanks, while the other is the serious version of what We are trying to make the light infantry do.

A coherent plan for development would probably be a good idea so as to prevent Us from going in every direction at once.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Midday 19: The Strategizing!
« Reply #715 on: July 28, 2012, 04:34:37 am »

I am all for mobility and I'd like to see army like that:

Small bots: Scouts, Snipers, automated AA guns, light bombers - 5-10% of the forces
Medium bots: Bombers, fighters, defensive turrets, combat engineers, suppliers - 10-20% of the forces  (at early stages more, because it's easier to make bots than soldiers)
Light infantry - Tech queen's kids, and war queen's + T-9's  or other suitable mate.  Mobile, smart, capable for guerrilla warfare and advanched tatctics. Includes light flyer's - 20-40% of the forces
Standard infantry: - Balanced units, not too heavy. not too light. - 25-50% of the forces.
Medium-heavy infantry: When we need a punch and for guarding the base (it will be detected sooner or later)  10-20% of the forces
Extraheavy infantry\tanks (predators) : 5-10% used on high priority targets, last ditch measure. I'd prefer humans didn't know about our main striking force as long as possible
Commanders: 5-10%

And heavy equipment

1) Light armour. Main role is not to fight, but make our heavy and extraheavy units more mobile.
2) Stealthy air transports: same as above
3) Artillery - either mobile one, that can run away after the shot, or simple and cheap one shot one, that we can install, use and abandon
4) Anti-sat rocket
5) Anti-tank guns, for when we need to use stationary defense

So yes, mobility is the key

Deny Pure guerrilla warfare is possible only if your opponent doesn't plan to genocide you. That's definitely not the case here.  If Americans used Genocide in Vietnam and later, they wouldn't never lose.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 28, 2012, 09:58:59 am »

Proposed strategy for planetary dominance:
1st priority: Prevent external interference.(As external forces possess options that are beyond our ability to combat.)
-Maintain entities of value to the controllers of the region.(To dissuade large-scale destruction and maintain options to manipulate the foreigner's intentions.)
-Suppress communication.(To prevent awareness of our presence.)
2nd priority: Prevent biped military operations.(As military action against us would impede all other activities.)
-Disable biped logistical apparatus.(To limit foreigner capacity to engage in military activity.)
-Present over-whelming superiority in all engagements.(To present military action as an ineffective recourse.)
3rd priority: Dominate environment.
-Suppress all entities hostile to our presence.
-Populate all available space.

Required entities:
Suppression forces:(To control entities of value to the bipeds.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remote-Control Forces:(To Suppress communications from biped-controlled entities, locate biped logistical assets, assess biped military entities, and detect biped activity over large regions.)

Destruction forces:(To destroy biped logistical apparatus, or quickly engage and destroy weak foreign entities.)

Engagement forces:(To engage strong foreign entities.)

Propagation forces:(To populate the planet.)
Produce abundant flowers and queens and distribute them across the planet's surface, to then propagate additional queens to exponentially expand across the planet's total habitable space.

The above is somewhat lacking in effective antiair measures. the addition of autonomous anti-air air vehicles and fortification of active-defences to manually target air-borne threats would address much of this.

The plan of control would commence with the distribution of our forces relative to the strongest of the foreign entities. Encourage hostility between the biped communities. To assault the strongest of the biped communities by destroying peripheries without engaging in prolonged confrontations while isolating them by assaulting the links with their surviving peripheries before hopefully ending large-scale organised opposition by engaging in a rapid assault of the biped's central hive, preferably after they have dispersed forces to manually communicate with the biped peripheries and the engage the communication impeders.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 28, 2012, 10:18:22 am »

RAM, IMO, you are thinking way, way, way too ahead. All that you write may be good when we control something like 10% of the planet and plan to take the rest

And your plan may be called - develop in all directions at once

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 28, 2012, 10:24:42 am »

Yeah we need to focus on the here and now, not saying that the plan isn't good, but right now focus should be on gathering intelligence, weaponry reaserch, gathering troops and figuring out what to bag first

And UR in vietnam yes if the americans had nuked and genocided the vietnemese then they would have been crushed, but they would have to find us first to do something like that, which is a key part of guerilla warfare, also note that I was suggesting a mix blitzkrieg-guerilla style tactic, not total guerilla warefare
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:39:00 am by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 28, 2012, 11:11:32 am »

Question to GM, how does developing eggs work? They slowly become better before we lay them, but we may lay them in any moment we want?

We have a lot of flying soldiers eggs, and I like that, I view airforce as top priority for mobile war. The only thing that we miss - flying commander(s)

One of our options is too make flying queen, for mobile. ready for hit and run, guerrilla subhive
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57