Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen / You Are A Kai Commander, Day 41  (Read 85769 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Night 14
« Reply #495 on: July 08, 2012, 02:16:12 pm »

Meta-note: Not quite Astartes, but the Humans have read their own fiction and are trying to get there. People familiar with 40k might notice the lack of occulobes, the venom glands, pre-digestive stomach, fused ribcage, etc.

I have a friend into botany who works at a nursery if you are interested in knowing more about the plants.

Also, I am considering delegating the first Gen 1 Queen to the most constant poster on here, and following queens to other players based on post frequency and queen development. While it would still remain a suggestion game and such, Queen do have enough intelligence to figure out things on their own.

You have the Drones pick 11 more Flowers to set up in the Hydroponics Test Lab and order the Tech Drone to update the AK-AEPS suit design, and produce a full cycle for Soldiers, Queens, and the Commander. It probably wouldn't do much to stick armor on the Predator, given its natural status as a heavy cavalry / tank unit, so You don't.

You consider your knowledge of Queens. Aside from the occasional rebel, any Daughter or Sister queens of yours would be totally loyal. It might be independent, rather like the Tech Drone, but would obey Your orders. You further recollect that to convert any larvae into a Queen, it would take at least 2 Units of Royal Jelly if not more, although 1 will do to start. You don't know much else about it, but suspect that a Soldier Queen Larvae would most likely be more advanced than a Drone Queen Larvae, based on common sense. You examine the Commander eggs and note the growing larvae inside bears somewhat of a resemblance to You.

In the meantime, you and the Tech Drone set about wiring and preparing computer systems, as well as doing some of the more delicate parts installation. You conclude early as the Drones return, and set about working with the NavDrones to integrate the bio-computers into the dead network as the Tech Drone reverse-engineers and rebuilds the Mechanical Repair Drones, based partially off of his own body. By the time he is complete, the Drones don't much resemble the ugly little boxes they were before, but are now much closer in appearance to Us.

You scan the seeds. There is kudzu, kiwi, potatoes, sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, tomato, radish, quinoa, hops, wheat, seaweeds, and various flowers, many of which appear to be for food, but several for other uses, both recreational and industrial. You especially notice a "poppy" plant and a "cannabis" plant that appears surprisingly close to the hops. There are also several mushroom spores.

All of the plants have been selected for growth rate, cold tolerance, and utility, and heavily genetically modified.

With this being done, You watch the Humans play their game and note strategies. The Strangerfixing and improvements have gone well, and You order the NavDrones to quietly set up a site for its release.

It is morning. Several eggs have hatched.

[You Are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your Fertilized Eggs

Your Nest
Location - the general area of Here
Outdoors - Very Hard to Detect by Casual Scans
Indoors

You Own

Your food supplies are:
13 Units of Food
4 Units of SQSF

Your food requirements per Hunger Level are:
Drones - 1/10 of a Unit of Food
Soldiers - 4/10 of a Unit of Food
Levels 1-4 - A Unit of Food
Queen - A Unit of Food / Reabsorb 20 Eggs
Level 5 - 2 Units of Food

Your prisoners are:

Your Inventions (new section, correct me if I missed anything)

Your Planets:
Unnamed Yellow Dwarf Sun [Sol]
Unnamed Iron-Rich Cold Partially Terraformed Planet, 4th from Unnamed Sun [Mars]
- Unnamed Moon [Phobos]
- Unnamed Moon [Demios]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Day 15
« Reply #496 on: July 08, 2012, 02:27:46 pm »

Give the flowers the seeds. Plant them near them or something, and watch what they do. They wanted to have them, so they can have them. Give some to the humans, see what they do too.

We should try to get acces to the Martian airspace and orbit control center, or whatever controls those. Knowing where most of the planes are headed is good, and if we're subtle enough, we should be able to divert ships not to fly above us.

We should construct some sort of hibernation chamber, so that we can freeze the predators when they are not needed. Berzerkers are not fun.

Also a dedicated nursery for eggs and larvae.

We will need to design a vehicle to carry predators and other troops a bit faster than walking. Light armor and basic camouflage.

Try to see if there's an overarching terraforming control center. If we could subvert that to our uses later, we could terraform the place to be usefull for us.

Last, designing a system where we place the magnetical shields in a semirandom way around us would allow for better defense, while making it harder for enemies to target us from orbit.

Spoiler: Longer term plans (click to show/hide)
\
Btw: SHouldn't the launch system be finished.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:43:24 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 08, 2012, 02:37:02 pm »

It is a good idea to have the commanders far behind, ebbor, but armoring them anyway helps us, having a commander who can take a decent hit without dieing means a commander who can shout an alarm out to the rest of Us about sneak attacks, etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:39:20 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 08, 2012, 02:40:29 pm »

Spoiler: Longer term plans (click to show/hide)

fixed
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:46:45 pm by bukitodinos »
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 08, 2012, 02:45:04 pm »

It will be done tonight, unless specific "pull all drones to work on X project" orders are given.

The Nurse is currently in the deeper Queen's Chamber with the eggs and larvae, and some backup Flowers. It's smart enough to take precautions for survival.

Also, the "modify self for greater iron content in the carapace" is actually a pretty valid plan. It obviously won't come near the AEPS for protective value, but a few generations of breeding should have some tough little bastards. It just takes proper applications of Royal Jelly.

The Human Soldier who killed Our soldier got a very lucky shot. The AEPS won't currently stop a heavy railgun shot, but it does considerably reduce damage. It can, of course, be improved further, but as it stands, it is a self-heated suit of light armor with environmental protection, trauma plates, etc. You are pretty sure you can design Medium and Heavy armor, and possibly integrate some other useful features into it, but creating individual mecha-like suits is presently implausible. Tanks are, of course, more plausible.

This is not to say You cannot create a suit to mount heavy artillery on a Predator or light artillery on a Soldier, but yeah.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 08, 2012, 02:49:25 pm »

Where are Mecha-Tanks on that plausibility scale?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 08, 2012, 02:51:03 pm »

Where are Mecha-Tanks on that plausibility scale?
Practically useless. I never got why you wanted to give a tank feet. It introduces weak points, drives up the cost, harder to stealth and much more.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 08, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »

I wasn't really considering it, but I wanted to have an extra point to scale things besides 'mechsuit' and 'tank'.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 08, 2012, 02:54:26 pm »

It will be done tonight, unless specific "pull all drones to work on X project" orders are given.

The Nurse is currently in the deeper Queen's Chamber with the eggs and larvae, and some backup Flowers. It's smart enough to take precautions for survival.

Also, the "modify self for greater iron content in the carapace" is actually a pretty valid plan. It obviously won't come near the AEPS for protective value, but a few generations of breeding should have some tough little bastards. It just takes proper applications of Royal Jelly.

The Human Soldier who killed Our soldier got a very lucky shot. The AEPS won't currently stop a heavy railgun shot, but it does considerably reduce damage. It can, of course, be improved further, but as it stands, it is a self-heated suit of light armor with environmental protection, trauma plates, etc. You are pretty sure you can design Medium and Heavy armor, and possibly integrate some other useful features into it, but creating individual mecha-like suits is presently implausible. Tanks are, of course, more plausible.

This is not to say You cannot create a suit to mount heavy artillery on a Predator or light artillery on a Soldier, but yeah.
Sadly, high iron content gives certain disadvantages, mostly concerning magnetic scans and such. Also, it's rather heavy.

Anyway, would it be simple to create an artillery cannon similair to the V-3? Basically a very large cannon, with an extremely long barrel. Rather than having one charge, it uses multiple charges, added to the sides of the barrel. As the shell passes, these are detonated, propelling the projectile at high speeds without stressing the barrel to much. That will allow us to design high ramge, high power artillery whitout needing to go high tech/ high cost.

The weak point is that it is dug in, and therefore can't be moved much. (Course changing glider shells can help that a bit)

I wasn't really considering it, but I wanted to have an extra point to scale things besides 'mechsuit' and 'tank'.
Well actually, I would place it above mechsuit. Afterall, skeleton like systems (ie mechanical walkers and such) get more problems as their size increases.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 08, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

I do greatly prefer to stick close to, y'know, physics and the rest, but yeah, there will be a point where science will be discarded in favor of science fiction, because I honestly can't think of some sort of supernova weapon currently under development, and I said "gravity" for shielding when... yeah, that... kind of no.

(psst, I will never ever ever say 'no, you cannot weaponize that')

I did point out we were based on the Invid, who are known to make mecha, right? :P Also, I point in the vague general direction of Heavy Gear.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 08, 2012, 03:16:00 pm »

Then again, if you put the same amount of money in the development of tanks and such, you'd get more firepower for the same cash. Tanks have the advantage of being threaded, allowing them to traverse difficult terrain and such. Mechs would be more usefull in urban/very jagged environements, with lots of cliffs. They will have problems with terrain that can't support their weight, and things like loose rubble and such.

The only advantage from mechas is that they lok impressive, but so does a tank which has just blown your defenses to pieces.

Come to think of it, do we know what caused the wars, where there people siding with us, and would they kill us should they find us.

Also, I can't see why an insectoid race would construct humanoid tanks. Insectoid(many legged) tanks are a bit more realistic, as the larger spread of weight and more legs increases balance and such.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 08, 2012, 03:30:17 pm »

I've read the Evil Overlord list. :P I am totally willing to just discard engineering and say that transformer vehicles can be made for rule of cool. We would, naturally, make them closer to Our appearance than those of the Humans.

What caused the wars? We tried to kill everyone not Us or subjugated to Us (read: everyone not Us.) There were probably a few minor slave races here and there, or "specifically bred to be eaten" races, but for the most part, it was Us.

Obviously, our as of yet un-named Imperial opponents think nothing of casually destroying a solar system to get rid of Us. You are not at all certain that they particularly care about the billions of Humans in the system, given the billions of Humans out of the solar system.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 08, 2012, 03:37:24 pm »

I've read the Evil Overlord list. :P I am totally willing to just discard engineering and say that transformer vehicles can be made for rule of cool. We would, naturally, make them closer to Our appearance than those of the Humans.

What caused the wars? We tried to kill everyone not Us or subjugated to Us (read: everyone not Us.) There were probably a few minor slave races here and there, or "specifically bred to be eaten" races, but for the most part, it was Us.

Obviously, our as of yet un-named Imperial opponents think nothing of casually destroying a solar system to get rid of Us. You are not at all certain that they particularly care about the billions of Humans in the system, given the billions of Humans out of the solar system.
I'd like to stay with science; as long as there's some kind of logic between things, working out suggestions is way easier. After all, I can go ahead and determine the logical effects of the suggestion. As soon as we're going to far into the just because we can thing, we'll get strange things.

Again though; I have nothing against breaking physics, as long as it is broken in a logical and consistent manner. (ie, mechas can exist because aliens have superior alloys and programming skills (getting legs to cooperate is hard))

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 08, 2012, 03:47:52 pm »

Again though; I have nothing against breaking physics, as long as it is broken in a logical and consistent manner.

This is exactly the kind of thing I am aiming at, stupid moon elevator aside.  +1 to everyone who points out inconsistencies and the actual science of things. Knowledge is power. :)

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 08, 2012, 04:03:42 pm »

I for one vote for advanced infantry power armor, not quite mechs but I hope they could field an anti tank rail gun and a heavy automatic gun.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57