Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen / You Are A Kai Commander, Day 41  (Read 85731 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Day 16
« Reply #540 on: July 09, 2012, 03:44:08 am »

Cannon  fodder is efficient enough for mundane tasks, infantry is always a main force in any army, but we try to make an army where everyone will be a heavy tank. Wrong way, IMO

And we need a general, soldier-queen is good for this, commander queen may be better, but I prefer queen that will kick ass herself

Another, riskier option is to make digger queen then if we lucky we can make a huge underground colony

And no, it's not early for the second queen, we must ensure our survival, one queen is not enough
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 09, 2012, 03:57:51 am »

Cannon  fodder is efficient enough for mundane tasks, infantry is always a main force in any army, but we try to make an army where everyone will be a heavy tank. Wrong way, IMO

And we need a general, soldier-queen is good for this, commander queen may be better, but I prefer queen that will kick ass herself

Another, riskier option is to make digger queen then if we lucky we can make a huge underground colony

And no, it's not early for the second queen, we must ensure our survival, one queen is not enough
Infantery doesn't need to be the main force, though in this case it might better be. The humans seem to have mostly hard hitting, slow reloading weapons. Overwhelming them is possible. Note that we still outnumbered, so the bombarding the enemies supply lines and such is usefull. Having a decent airforce is always a good idea.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 09, 2012, 04:01:49 am »

What about attacking human bases from below? Digger Queen can make this quite possible
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 09, 2012, 04:16:04 am »

What about attacking human bases from below? Digger Queen can make this quite possible
The human bases will be fortified and since most seem to be science oriented, equiped with sensors and seismometers. Digging will show up on that.

Besides, a laser drill can make it possible too.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 09, 2012, 04:25:25 am »

Specialized underground subhive is much more versatile than a drill. And very hard to destroy without heavy damage to planet

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 09, 2012, 04:38:33 am »

Specialized underground subhive is much more versatile than a drill. And very hard to destroy without heavy damage to planet
We got quite a versatile underground base already, besides, an underground base isn't that hard to destroy. Anything that causes shockwaves can damage it by collapsing things, and a poison gas or liquid would wreack havoc before it can be contained.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 09, 2012, 04:46:14 am »

Sine when do humans give a shit about the planet? I mean, look at Earth.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 09, 2012, 05:08:59 am »

If the colony is under 10 kilometres of dirt, then you can move the dirt, but that takes time and equipment, and we can dig under the equipment, make it collapse, and damage it. We can't really stop them short of direct confrontation, but we could slow them down and make it expensive. The alternatives are remote excavation, which would require telekinesis, attractor beams, force fields: some sort of remote physical manipulation that, as far as we know, they do not possess. The other alternative is violence, probably either blasting or vaporising the dirt, which would likely result in 10 kilometres of dirt ending up in the atmosphere, which is not going to be good for solar power generation...
 The offspring of a queen inherit some of its traits. People are talking about launching an overt attack against the satellite network in a couple of weeks and we have already exposed our virus to potential discovery. Given this level of aggression I suspect that we will need a standing army and a predator queen would impart qualities to its offspring that would make them excellent soldiers. If we are willing to wait for a time, then a spy drone queen would probably make an excellent addition to our efforts to remain undetected and to gain information about potential resources.

P.S.
 On a meta note, we have been told that we get a free pass on our first queen, so it would be an excellent time to acquire a predator queen as I expect predators to get a bonus to their rolls to decide that the hive-mind would be better off with a new hierarchy...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 09, 2012, 05:36:11 am »

If the colony is under 10 kilometres of dirt, then you can move the dirt, but that takes time and equipment, and we can dig under the equipment, make it collapse, and damage it. We can't really stop them short of direct confrontation, but we could slow them down and make it expensive. The alternatives are remote excavation, which would require telekinesis, attractor beams, force fields: some sort of remote physical manipulation that, as far as we know, they do not possess. The other alternative is violence, probably either blasting or vaporising the dirt, which would likely result in 10 kilometres of dirt ending up in the atmosphere, which is not going to be good for solar power generation...
 The offspring of a queen inherit some of its traits. People are talking about launching an overt attack against the satellite network in a couple of weeks and we have already exposed our virus to potential discovery. Given this level of aggression I suspect that we will need a standing army and a predator queen would impart qualities to its offspring that would make them excellent soldiers. If we are willing to wait for a time, then a spy drone queen would probably make an excellent addition to our efforts to remain undetected and to gain information about potential resources.

P.S.
 On a meta note, we have been told that we get a free pass on our first queen, so it would be an excellent time to acquire a predator queen as I expect predators to get a bonus to their rolls to decide that the hive-mind would be better off with a new hierarchy...

He convinced me, +1 to Urist McSoldier Queen
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:24 am »

P.S.

Sadly you can't go that deep. The deepest humans have got using advanced technology is 12km* and a bit, and that was using a reinforced and cooled diamond headed drill. There's no question of building in actual base there, it would collapse constantly. If we have the technology to build reinforcements that can whistand that pressure, we wouldn't need to go that deep. A simple layer of whatever material that is , with a shock absorbing field in between would be more cost effective and easier to build.

The ground is mostly made up from silicates. Assuming a density of 2 grammes / cm3 . We would have a total pressure of 2000 kg/ cm2. That's a lot. They'd only need to wait for a little eartquake for the whole base to collapse in onto itself.

Btw, that took them 24 years, just to drill a hole 9 inches wide.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:51:34 am by 10ebbor10 »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 09, 2012, 08:09:21 am »

+2 to a soldier queen, we need some active defense against the humans.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 09, 2012, 08:11:50 am »

Yep, soldier, not predator. Predator is much less predictable option

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 09, 2012, 08:23:13 am »

Drone / Flying Drone - Junior Queen
Spy Drone - ?
Digging Drone - ?
Soldier - Armored Queen
Flying Soldier -  Air Queen
Predator - Spirit/War Queen
Nurse - Body/Adaptation Queen
Commander - Mind/Technology Queen

Here you have the list. Predator means war queen, soldier is an armoured one.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 09, 2012, 11:29:56 am »

Predator queen.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 09, 2012, 11:53:53 am »

I am kind of curious about what a spy queen would end up as...

On an unrelated note, power armor for Predators would be somewhat redundant, but what if we attach jump jets to them? (They have wings already, but wings are slow and vulnerable for transporting huge armored things.)
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57