Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen / You Are A Kai Commander, Day 41  (Read 85786 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Day 13
« Reply #450 on: July 04, 2012, 02:02:10 am »

In case nobody has noticed, I am attempting to have the Kai use base 12 mathematics...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 04, 2012, 02:18:16 am »

[*reads the Wiki article*

The number twelve, a highly composite number, is the smallest number with four non-trivial factors (2, 3, 4, 6), and the smallest to include as factors all four numbers (1 to 4) within the subitizing range. As a result of this increased factorability of the radix and its divisibility by a wide range of the most elemental numbers (whereas ten has only two non-trivial factors: 2 and 5, with neither 3 nor 4), duodecimal representations fit more easily than decimal ones into many common patterns, as evidenced by the higher regularity observable in the duodecimal multiplication table.

...dafuq did I just read? There are three kinds of history majors - those who get math and those who don't.

>____>]

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 04, 2012, 03:21:39 am »

[*reads the Wiki article*

The number twelve, a highly composite number, is the smallest number with four non-trivial factors (2, 3, 4, 6), and the smallest to include as factors all four numbers (1 to 4) within the subitizing range. As a result of this increased factorability of the radix and its divisibility by a wide range of the most elemental numbers (whereas ten has only two non-trivial factors: 2 and 5, with neither 3 nor 4), duodecimal representations fit more easily than decimal ones into many common patterns, as evidenced by the higher regularity observable in the duodecimal multiplication table.

...dafuq did I just read? There are three kinds of history majors - those who get math and those who don't.

>____>]
It's simple really. It says that 12 can be divided by 2, 3, 4 and 6, and that this flexibility allows many things impossible for, for example, ten.

That's why our days are 24 hours. So we can have 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8, 1/12 and 1/24 days with an even number of hours in.

TL:DR It keep fractions simple. (1/3 of ten is 3.3333333...)

To get back on-topic, did we just re-invented starcraft 2? cool!
Also use this game to analyse fighting patterns of humans. They are likely to use similar tactics in real life, so the earlier we have rough ideas of how they fight, the better. But don't be foolish and think it will be an exact representation.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 04, 2012, 03:57:29 am »

20 Drone Eggs (Gen 1) - Hatch, after that send existing obsolete 15 Basic Drones to the recycler
16 Flying Drone Eggs (Gen 1)  Hatch 16. We need surface working force
17 Soldier Eggs (Gen 1) - Hatch 10, recycle rest, recycle basic soldiers
12 Flying Soldier Eggs (Gen 1) Hatch all
4 Predator Eggs (Gen 1) Hatch one.
2 Nurse Egg (Gen 1) Hatch all
2 Commander Egg (Gen 1) Hatch all

Edit: forgot that they will give only larvaes... Same but delay sending existing drones to recycler
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:59:58 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 04, 2012, 08:39:04 am »

In case nobody has noticed, I am attempting to have the Kai use base 12 mathematics...

Won't we need two more numbers? Also I'm a little against it because. Damn. It's just not how we tend to think.

But eh.

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 04, 2012, 09:17:47 am »

shielding against projectiles shot from a railgun should be easy to do, as the railgun shells are maximally magnetically active, for ease of acceleration; if we can project a magnetic field then we can deflect the shells ; given they are going to be launched from many kilometers away, a 5' deflection 1km away from us from a vertically polarized magnetic field will cause the shell to completely miss us; if they attempt to fire 5' away to counteract our field, they will miss the deflection plane and overshoot in the other direction; random rotation of the angle, thickness and strength of the deflection plane will prevent them from out-guessing us and hitting the edge of the field in just the right way for the shots to be deflected back to us

basically we project a magnetic field towards anyone we see with a railgun, the shells will be deflected away from us ; with multiple "shield" projectors we can defend against multiple people trying to shell us.

Given that we know that the pirates main heavy weapons are likely to be railguns, this should a high priority in Our Research.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 04, 2012, 09:49:57 am »

Is that even possible? magnetic power gets exponentially weaker as you go. Won't it take a huge huge amount of energy to work?

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 04, 2012, 10:22:16 am »

Try to learn more of "human" words.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:33 am »

Is that even possible? magnetic power gets exponentially weaker as you go. Won't it take a huge huge amount of energy to work?
It does. plus, you need to put as much energy in the impact point as the projectile has kinetic energy.

Try to learn more of "human" words.
And mouth-talk to the human queen. we don't have near enough information about her sub-hive. We could support the wrong group for all we know. (wrong in the way that the other could bring us better things)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 04, 2012, 12:38:37 pm »

It's more realistic than manipulating graviry, And we re not stopping theshells, merely deflecting them. This seriously limits power use. Also fusion tech means we have advanced magnets and more then enough energy.

Also, if I remember right, mars dust is electrically charged, meaning the field would create a large stationary sand storm.(whitout the storm, the field should not be strong enough to do that.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 04, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »

20 Drone Eggs (Gen 1) - Hatch, after that send existing obsolete 15 Basic Drones to the recycler

Edit: forgot that they will give only larvaes... Same but delay sending existing drones to recycler

Best idea, this has my support.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 04, 2012, 01:54:35 pm »

has mine too
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 04, 2012, 02:12:46 pm »

We seem to have travelled a long time in space. Do we have acces too/ can easily develop cryo technologie.

If not, follow to above Idea

If yes, hatch all predators.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 04, 2012, 02:20:17 pm »

has mine too
same here
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 04, 2012, 05:10:57 pm »

It does. plus, you need to put as much energy in the impact point as the projectile has kinetic energy.

actually, with a uniform field it will get weaker in a quadratic manner, not exponential, so long range projection is more practical.
The total amount of energy needed for a 10' deflection is 8.7% of the input energy,
and finally i wasn't saying establish a permanent isotropic magnetic field over our base, that'd be a huge "SomethingIsHere Flag" for every satellite that flew vaguely overhead, instead this is a search-light style energy pulse down the axis of any incoming fire, the nearest current-tech analogy would be a high power directed microwave radar. (which is just a directed elctro-magnetic project in the mhz to ghz range; our projector would be in the vicinity of 1 to 10 hz, to temporarily establish a deflection field along the probable flight path; the beam would be circularly polzarized, so the exact deflection angle would depend on the phase of the beam and the incoming projectile.

Given you can not (with our tech) establish a static non-isotropic magnetic field,  (unless you rule that there is a gravo-magnetic interaction which is what we manipulate for our trans-light and gravitic techs, and this allows us to project a static magnetic field of our choice).

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57