Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen / You Are A Kai Commander, Day 41  (Read 85546 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are An Alien Queen
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 06:45:58 pm »

use a drone to scout the landscape and look for any interesting features. Also, see if we can rig the point defense array to smelt the iron out of the regolith.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 07:04:00 pm »

You are capable of using the point defense to smelt the metal out, or by using electricity, yes. You can make many compounds and substances given enough time and equipment, but certain things are going to be impossible to make without imported Earth elements. The planet is only partially terraformed.

It would, of course, help to get the reactor online. It is labor-intensive, but not difficult to repair, and you can gather/reprocess enough hydrogen to get it going for a while. It is an overnight job, at the very least, but You are reasonably certain that We can get it wired and repaired.

You send forth a drone to scout out for anything of interest, and keep a mental channel open for instantaneous communications.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 07:07:16 pm »

Are we capable of breeding very small drones? If not, do we have a good enough understanding of our genetics to make some? We need spies.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 07:09:47 pm »

Are we capable of breeding very small drones? If not, do we have a good enough understanding of our genetics to make some? We need spies.
Wouldn't a crab be better for that? (OMG SEE WUT I DID THAR?)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »

I was using drone to refer to all of our various appendages.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »

As of right now, You are not versed in genetics enough to do so immediately. Given enough time and conscious effort, You should be able to do so within two or three generations with proper experimentation. You file this information away inside Your mind, and instruct the Nurse to feed one larvae three-quarters as much regurgitated food to limit its growth, as well as to feed it only enough Royal Jelly as needed to be fertile.

You finish planting your first Flower, and feel a gentle hunger inside your mind that soon fades as the Flower rapidly grows and blooms. It is not particularly large, but the stalk is particularly thick, marking a good root system.

You are:
1 Queen Alien
1 Level 3 Nurse Drone
2 Level 2 Navigation Drones
17 Basic Drones
1 Flying Warrior
4 Basic Warriors
19 Drone Larvae
1 Small Fertile Flying Spy Drone Larvae, Generation 0
95 Eggs
5 Drone Eggs
1 Flower of Life

You own:
A Partially Damaged Reactor
A Bunch of Spare Parts
Point Defense Laser
A Lot of Damaged to Intact Metal Plating
Many Computer Parts / Wiring
39 Dormant Flowers
Relevant Tools
A Queen-Sized Light Energy Machine Gun
A Soldier-Sized Light Energy Blaster
Dead Biped Test Subjects
A Sensory Array

Your Nest:
A Queen's Chamber with A Flower Pit
Partially-Constructed Earthworks]

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »

I was using drone to refer to all of our various appendages.
*Cough* Spycrab

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 07:23:54 pm »

I know, but I assumed you had some relevant point to attach the meme to.

What do the flowers require in the way of nutrition? And do we have any of that communal knowledge back yet?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 07:27:38 pm »

What did we do with the deceased?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 07:33:29 pm »

I believe We ate them.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 07:37:00 pm »

I was going to say "We can eat the deceased!". Ayup.

We should probably assign all we can to digging out room for those flowers.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 07:39:42 pm »

Yes. You are of the Mind. You find yourself capable of creating great machines and intricate mechanisms; of refining and processing, of experimentation and exploration. For the first time in your life, You feel a sensation that is akin to joy at the thought of building an empire of technology built IN A CAVE WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS! bit by bit in Your own hive.

The thoughts are endless. Smelt Iron from the regolith. Smelting the slag for silica. There's carbon around - precious little of it, but you have access to quite a few elements and tools. Oxygen. Calcium. Given enough time and labor, You can build anything for Us. Of course, right now, You'd have some difficulty making heavy laser rifles that would work, but making simple iron spears and tools would not be difficult. Steel would be more difficult, given the scarcity of carbon (and water, but it is possible.

The Flowers greatly prefer sunlight, hydrogen, and carbon, but can survive on more or less anything organic that is broken down and introduced into the soil which it lives in. Given enough time, they will adapt to their situation and breed for the traits, so planting them all underground right now WILL mean greater difficulty trying to breed cold-hardy outdoor Flowers.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »

Then we should save a flower or two for adapting to the surface. Can we have some information on the species? Temperature tolerances, strength relative to humans, size, etc.?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 07:55:54 pm »

This is very rough here, and may or may not be retconned into making sense, but: drones are about the size of medium dogs, and grow or shrink when they are adapted to a new purpose. Warriors are roughly the size of horses, although the flying ones are half that size. The Nurse drone is about the size of an average SUV, while you are about two feet longer and more slender.

You are considerably stronger than humans, and could withstand small-caliber gunfire for quite some time, but your carapace is not invulnerable.

60 C / 140 F, -50 C / -58 F roughly. You could MAYBE survive the exposure terraformed Mars cold for half the night if you ate enough and kept moving.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01:35 pm »

I don't suppose our communal knowledge pool has any designs for a fusion reactor?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57