Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 2297 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:45:45 am »

I am new with dwarf fortress and I have some questions. First of all when i open up thee screw press menu and select press honey from honeycomb it comes up with a menu with to things. Under reagents it says: non-pressed HONEYCOMB_PRESS_MAT-producing honeycomb liquid container. and under products it says: HONEYCOMB_PRESS_MAT Liquid Glob, pressed. I checked my stocks and it has 1 glob in white and 100 in red. Do i just not have any honeycombs or is this a glitch?

I keep getting this announcement that says urist mcmarksdwarf cancels pick up equipment: equipment mismatch, etc. Is that a bug.

The wiki does not really say how to train dogs to be war dogs and hunting dogs. Who do I assign them too and how do I do that. I accidently assigned a dog to the wrong person how do I reassign them? Can I?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:37 am »

You need a jug for pressing honeycombs (can be made out of stone, glass, metal or glazed pottery).

Assingning for dog/animal training is now done at the animal menu (z-screen).

Assigned animals cannot be unassigned when they have a name, otherwise I'm not quite sure but it could be the same way they are assigned (p menu and then select and unassign, if possible).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:06:37 am »

(v) and (p) then assign animals. Don't think that they can be unassigned.

sidenote, there is also a DF gameplay questions forum. Questions will be answered here too, usually, so it's just a headsup
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:15 am »

Oh my, ninja'd twice. I'll post it anyways.
    I am new with dwarf fortress and I have some questions. First of all when i open up thee screw press menu and select press honey from honeycomb it comes up with a menu with to things. Under reagents it says: non-pressed HONEYCOMB_PRESS_MAT-producing honeycomb liquid container. and under products it says: HONEYCOMB_PRESS_MAT Liquid Glob, pressed. I checked my stocks and it has 1 glob in white and 100 in red. Do i just not have any honeycombs or is this a glitch?
Yes, this message is trying to tell you that you need honeycombs to make honey. It's not very helpful, especially for newbies, but it is very general in case somebody mods other materials to produce honey.

I keep getting this announcement that says urist mcmarksdwarf cancels pick up equipment: equipment mismatch, etc. Is that a bug.
If he is doing it over and over without going to training, it's a bug. Try removing him from his active service or if that doesn't help, assign a different uniform to him. The wiki might help you if you don't know how to do that.

The wiki does not really say how to train dogs to be war dogs and hunting dogs. Who do I assign them too and how do I do that. I accidently assigned a dog to the wrong person how do I reassign them? Can I?
You need an animal training zone and a dwarf with the animal training labor. Press [z] and choose the animal tab with [Enter]. Then, you choose the dog that you want to train. At the bottom of the screen, there should be the keys that you need to set the animal for war or hunting training. After you've done that, the dog should be trained.
To assign the war/hunting dog, you choose a dwarf with [v] and [p]. If you want to reassign the animal, the dwarf has to die first.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:25:03 am »

Ok thanks. Also sometimes I have someone make smething out of stone in a craftsdwarfs workshop or a masons workshop and the announcement comes up that says they need a non-economic hard rock to do that. But have gabbro and diorite and microline and many other things. Also I know those should work because they have made things out of those rocks before. Also with the equipment announcment the dwarf does not have any problems when its in combat.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:34:52 am »

if you got a rocks stockpile, workshps won't use stone that's not one a stockpile they can use.

Te equipment mismatch comes up a lot. For marksdwarfs, I ignore it. I think it appears among things when a dwarf still has space in his quiver, goes to a new stack only to find the quiver can't hold that much. I am most likely mistaken, but it has never held back my own marksdwarves, who are they only ones I've had spawn this
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 10:36:43 am »

If you are certain there is gabbro/diorite/microcline around (not processed to blocks, just raw stones - check z menu) then the stones must be unavailable for the workshop. Possible reasons:

stones are forbidden (pressing f when k-viewing them or using d-b-f) - they'll all be red in z-menu in this case

you have assigned a stockpile to *give* to the workshop - the workshop will only accept the stone that's in the stockpile then!

stones are unreachable - dwarves cannot path to where the stones are, due to lack of path because of locked doors/constructed walls/etc or because they've been assigned to a burrow not encapsulating the area when the stones are (unlikely to be the case...)
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 07:28:28 pm »

Ok, thanks, It was because i had a stockpile set to give to it. But I recently set my large stone stockpile to give to it too. So now it works.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 07:37:01 pm »

Kind of related. Where do honeycombs get stored? I can't find them in stockpile settings.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 09:53:33 pm »

Kind of related. Where do honeycombs get stored? I can't find them in stockpile settings.

Before they are processed?
In the food group under Extract(Animal), and then down a page or so.
Processed honeycomb becomes honey bee wax cake and is in the Pressed Material section of Food.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...