Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's wrong in your fort?  (Read 5212 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's wrong in your fort?
« on: June 23, 2012, 12:14:07 am »

So in "normal" DF gameplay there is always something wrong in a fort. Be it something so simple as having run out of booze or something like having a king arrive with his queen who both end up being 500+year old goblin.

So what's wrong in your current fort?
Feeling down? Click Here!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong in your fort?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:16:43 am »

Apparently traders can't drive over cage or weapon traps.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 01:29:36 am »

40+ children drinking more booze than I can produce.
And the typical lack of variety in booze. I make everything I can, but nothing grows like plump helmets. Although the elves brought some berries, so maybe I can have some temporary variety.
Wood cutters won't cut wood. Running out of wood. Need beds, wooden bolts, and more bins.

Sarkovar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 02:48:24 am »

40+ children drinking more booze than I can produce.
^ This exactly. It's gotten to the point that I am now seeking an elaborate and satisfying way of disposing of all of the worthless little shi- err I mean precious precious children. I'm thinking of sacrificing all but the oldest sons and daughters, so every pair of dwarf breeders get to keep two children and the rest get tossed into a volcano. Other than that I had an undead raiding party hit my fortress last winter. After a failed attempt at burning the zombies to ashes that only succeeded in killing two children and a farmer I had assumed that one highly trained macedwarf commander and two moderately trained macedwarves would be more than a match for the 34 shambling, and now burning, corpses some of them lacking all of their limbs. I grossly underestimated the strength a bunch of mindless immolating corpses.

Edit: For typos.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:55:04 am by Sarkovar »
Me: FLAMING BABY FLAIL'S COMIN' AT YA DEMONS.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 02:54:05 am »

No fast escape option and no alternative drainage if I screw up and cause a flood exploiting the aquifer.  Constructed walls over the initial entrance point, constructed a floor over the place I pierced the cavern for spores.  We are completely sealed in.

Also I can't compare values of items because I didn't think to embark with appraiser skill, and I don't trade.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 03:06:07 am »

Lag. So much lag.

(oh, and next to no defence against anything attacking from below)
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

trigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 03:22:23 am »

When trying to make an area with access to sunlight (to stop military getting adapted), I channeled down a bit and selected to dump the rocks/junk that had come down with them. Sadly I'd failed to notice I'd channeled down adjacent to my garbage area, so my dwarfs took a rock, went up a set of stairs and then with very dorfy precision, lobbed the rock on the head of the next dorf in line. 6 Died before I worked out wtf happened.

Good times

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 03:28:48 am »

Not enough dwarves to get a good metal industry growing. Braining for adventurer trap ideas, coming up with nothing good. I'm WAY past the due-date for my fortress in this succession game, and have nothing to show for it becuase I mentally died for a week and didn't touch DF, but the next guy in line insisted he can wait a little while. Pretty awesome, but I still feel terrible about this.

So right now I'm making a maze. The "walls" will be composed entirely of traps of varying lethality. If the adventurer thinks he can just run through the traps right to the center, he'd be sorely mistaken. Or so I intend. Plenty of the traps will be pressure plates dropping slabs of stone on their heads. The problem is I'm not very patient or skilled with mazes, and don't have enough weapons and shit for the weapon traps.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 03:50:49 am »

Siege composed of 15 goblin bowmen, 15 crossbowmen, 8 ogresses, 1 spearmaster and 1 pikemaster.

My military consists of 1 competent marksdwarf.

I'm sealed inside and completely self-sufficient, but the autumn caravan is coming in 1-2 months.
I see a lot of hauling jobs in my future.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 04:49:57 am »

Undead. Even when they're doing nothing, they find a way to bother me.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 07:07:01 am »

In the fort I had this time yesterday, the caverns were all sealed off apart from one trapped area intended to attract wildlife. The protection from FBs consisted of a couple of doors, which were locked in order to give the military enough time to assemble and then stab the beast once it popped its head out of the tunnel. One time I forgot to replace the doors, and the next one through was a flier with deadly dust. All it did was cause fever, but the stone stockpile was next to the trapped area and when the military got there they got brained by flying boulders. After that it was just a matter of watching the carnage.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 07:21:27 am »

Children, 40 useless children who can only slow down the construction of my mighty lead wall.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 07:59:28 am »

What went wrong ... hmmm, ah yes.

A forgotten beast appeared next to some rodent men and women. The beast was a one eyed scorpion with a waxy cephalothorax. Well, it attacked the rodent ones and killed 4 out of 6. Everything on the FB was red in the wounds screen except it's eye and brain, both yellow after like 90 pages of fight against those rodents, which were using wooden spears. Due to it's injuries it missed EVERY attack it launched against the final 2 rodent women. And their wooden weapons did literally nothing serious to it either.

One of the rodent women finally collapsed due to overexhaustion (damn, I love that feature, already loved it with that Goblin Master Lasher that dodged 90% of my weapon traps but finally collapsed in the very last ... and got chopped) and was ignored. The fight went on between the final women and she suddenly punched the FB in the cephalothorax, bruising the brain. Which somehow finally killed the FB. Then some crundles appeared and my hunters started to hunt them. Right next to the fight that had been there a moment ago.

3 or 4 dead crundles later one of the rodent women attacks one of my hunters, get's beaten down by it's assigned  war dogs and the 2nd rodent women suddenly turns 'FRIENDLY'. WTF? But maybe it's good that way, she's a 'Rodent women Spearmaster' now.

Anyways, 500 more forgotten beast meat now. This will result in some truly legendary meals made by my cook.

The wrong point is: I prepared EVERYTHING for just such a case when one of those FBs appear. My whole defense was on the jump, but well, those rodent people spoiled it. :( Now I need to wait for the next one.

And yes, hunters are on the list: 'can be killed, noone will care', that's why they can go whereever they want. A decision that was made after a hunter lost one of his dogs and started to throw a tantrum twice but a truly godlike living room finally brought her back to reality. She even started a fistfight already but only with another dog. Almost had a spiral ... so it's better to lose them all instead of just a pet.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:21 am »

3 or 4 dead crundles later one of the rodent women attacks one of my hunters, get's beaten down by it's assigned  war dogs and the 2nd rodent women suddenly turns 'FRIENDLY'. WTF? But maybe it's good that way, she's a 'Rodent women Spearmaster' now.

That's actually caused by the rodent woman killing the FB. It's a known bug/feature that's been occuring since early 31.x versions. Because the other rodent woman didn't get the killing blow on the FB, she did not become friendly and attacked your hunters.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 09:27:09 am »

not enough booze hopefully i can get those bees to start making some honey. Or I can use my unsucessfull plump helmet farm, because my geese and turkeys make plenty of eggs for food.
Pages: [1] 2 3