Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How paranoid is appropriate?  (Read 5306 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
How paranoid is appropriate?
« on: June 22, 2012, 11:24:55 pm »

In my forts, I tend to wall myself in and make projects, protecting myself with walls and cage traps rather than a military. My military is usually rather small and flimsy. And I have a couple questions about how well walled-in one needs to be to be safe.

1) Flying building destroyers
Can creatures destroy constructions (like doors or raised bridges) while flying? If I seal up a fortress with an overground bridge coming out the side, would a hypothetical flying troll be able to bash his way in? (Or, better yet, have normal trolls decide to jump over the abyss and crash through the bridge, that would be ‼fun‼)

2) Aquatic flyers
Are there any? Even including Forgotten Beasts? I haven't met any myself, but... Basically if I try to wall of the entirety of the underground tunnels, do I need to build floors over top of the underground lakes, or will making walls around those suffice?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How paranoid is appropriate?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:26:38 pm »

I tend to make 6 layers of walls, a giant army of crossbows, 10 layers of twisty tunnels filled with war lions, and a way to set the surface on fire.

...Am I paranoid enough?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:30:04 pm »

I tend to make 6 layers of walls, a giant army of crossbows, 10 layers of twisty tunnels filled with war lions, and a way to set the surface on fire.

...Am I paranoid enough?
One can never be paranoid enough.  Did you plan for the siege of Sneaking trap-immune-flying-no-breathing-magmaproof-building-destroying-gas-leaking-dust-attacking-syndrome-inducing tunnelers?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:35:26 pm »

I have 6 different entrances (dodge pit, bridge pit, spike trap, cage trap, weapon trap, and merchant), every non-miner/woodcutter equipped in full steel armor with a crossbow, and four layers of doomsday contingency plans of varying severity (water flood, magma flood, danger room-trained legendary goblin pit, and different sectors ready to be caved in). So yeah, kind of paranoid.

To actually answer your question, here's a list of all the building destroyers. Always need to be prepared for what the good ol' procedural generator churns out, though.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 11:43:31 pm »

In my forts, I tend to wall myself in and make projects, protecting myself with walls and cage traps rather than a military. My military is usually rather small and flimsy. And I have a couple questions about how well walled-in one needs to be to be safe.

1) Flying building destroyers
Can creatures destroy constructions (like doors or raised bridges) while flying? If I seal up a fortress with an overground bridge coming out the side, would a hypothetical flying troll be able to bash his way in? (Or, better yet, have normal trolls decide to jump over the abyss and crash through the bridge, that would be ‼fun‼)

2) Aquatic flyers
Are there any? Even including Forgotten Beasts? I haven't met any myself, but... Basically if I try to wall of the entirety of the underground tunnels, do I need to build floors over top of the underground lakes, or will making walls around those suffice?

1. The building destroyer code requires the ability to path to the thing being destroyed, and pathing is broken with flying, so you should be safe for now.

2. Yes, you can get aquatic flyers. All FB's are [AMPHIBIOUS], so one with wings could spawn at the underwater lake edge and then fly out, especially if it saw a juicy dwarf standing on your "wall". If you wall off the caverns and leave no dry ground at the map edge for them to spawn, they WILL spawn in the lake the next time.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 02:08:09 am »

1) Not at the moment.
2) Completely possible with FB's. I once had an FB dive down through my u-bend at from the cavern into the bottom of my well, then fly up some 35 z-levels to emerge in the middle of my dining room amid the screams of horror and (soon to be) death of my dwarves.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 02:50:39 am »

I have my current fortress completely and permanently sealed, and I have blank slabs stockpiled to put down ghosts that might try to come through the walls.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 08:39:33 am »

1) Not at the moment.
2) Completely possible with FB's. I once had an FB dive down through my u-bend at from the cavern into the bottom of my well, then fly up some 35 z-levels to emerge in the middle of my dining room amid the screams of horror and (soon to be) death of my dwarves.

I once had an FB bust into my pump column and start smashing stuff up, before finally nesting in one pump five z-levels above magma, which it never destroyed, and always went back to when disturbed. Eventually I managed to sneak the proper repairs...and simply reactivated the pumpstack.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:10 am »

1) Not at the moment.

I once had an FB bust into my pump column and start smashing stuff up, before finally nesting in one pump five z-levels above magma, which it never destroyed, and always went back to when disturbed. Eventually I managed to sneak the proper repairs...and simply reactivated the pumpstack.

Thats awesome.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 11:44:24 am »

I have a moat.  :-[
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 12:32:37 pm »

I'm currently regretting my lack of paranoia of titan attacks and necromancer sieges. :o
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 01:18:44 pm »

Well, my fort is designed to be capable of dispatching any random thing that wanders in, I started out paranoid about the wildlife, but as time set in I realized I was more dangerous to them the the other way around. To whether you can be too paranoid, no, everysingle part of your fort must be designed with aa complete breach of the fort by hostiles in mind. I can completely seal off the fort outside and inside, and constantly put various traps everywhere. Hell, If a Siege tried entering the hospital, It would be promptly torn apart by various. The FBs are more problematic, so i design redundant sytems for flooding the fort. No, the quesrion isn't are we too paranoid, but are we paranoid enough!?!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 02:04:15 pm »

Silentthunders... Ah.

It is an aboveground fort, with 100z lvls of airspace, so as expected, flying creatures can wreak havoc with it's defenses. Which is why if I ever find a flying creature my marksdwarves cannot deal with, all is lost.

I will not go into detail of Silentthunder's defenses just yet, but I'll just go by saying there are 8 layers of retreat where marksdwarves can fall back to. All fortified.

Oh and there are over 178 linked bridges currently in Silentthunders. And over 1500 doors, all built into it's structure. The only enemies that have made it within the central hive arrived in chains. The only ones that have made it inside the walls of Silentthunders have arrived on wings.

The reservoir has been filling for 5 years now and is still not full. There are over 100 wells.
At least two thirds of the now 101 soldiers are on duty at all times.
The finished goal for me is to have the walls of Silentthunders finally reach the 100z lvl mark.

I try to have as much control over where goes what in my fort. Is that paranoid enough?

I think not.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 03:12:56 pm »

If they get you, you were not paranoid enough.  If you they just barely got you, you were almost paranoid enough. :D

If you want to be really secure (and remember, nothing is perfectly secure, ever) just wall off the outside world, both above and below and only use materials produced by your fort.  Complete self sufficiency.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 03:32:25 pm »

If you want to be really secure (and remember, nothing is perfectly secure, ever) just wall off the outside world, both above and below and only use materials produced by your fort.  Complete self sufficiency.

And still doesn't protect you from incorporeal enemies, nor rotting from within.  It's an interesting change of pace, though, needss come slower and smaller but you have very little dwarfpower to address them (at least, if you wall off the outside world before the first migrant wave even arrives, as I did).  You have to get a little more creative about your resources because you can't just import something you don't have, you either work around a shortfall or do without.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2