Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: War Thunder: F2P aerial, ground, and naval battles  (Read 19171 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah sorry for getting mixed up... So if you had to choose between '46 and Cliff of Dover, you'd go for '46?

The multiplayer seems interesting but unfortunately I don't have joystick.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually bought IL-2: 1946 during a steam sale (for fairly cheap), only to discover that it has no effective way to fly planes using the mouse. I was rather expecting the mouse to be usable in the same manner as in Freelancer or X3:TC. Instead it was just unplayable.  :-\
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Yeah, back in those days, you weren't a PC gamer if you didn't have a joystick.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to have a joystick for playing great games like Independent Wars 2, Freelancer, and X2: The Threat. Then the genre just faded away...
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I still have a couple of joysticks laying around, but they've mostly been replaced by a xbox 360 wired controller. I've found it's useful for just about any flight sim excluding helicopters (and even there is can at least do a passable job if you can map things right.) Almost all my FSX flying is done on it now. A good portion of my space simming, except what's easier to do with the keyboard/mouse(X3:TC), and the few combat sims I've played in the last 2 or 3 years have all been on the 360 controller. Last I tried to play IL-2 though, it was still with my old saitek joystick, not sure if it would map well to a controller. It really does have a ton of buttons it needs.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

None of the joysticks I had can plug into modern computers.

Or had more than one button. Well, maybe two, but they did the same thing. </Commodore64> :V

I had a joystick which plugged into the joystick port of a PC too, but naturally, they stopped including that port on motherboards shortly after I acquired it. Wasn't a good joystick anyways. I couldn't see the point of buying an expensive one when mice were so much more precise.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've flown IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 on/off for around 6 years now, and I think you'd mostly wrong if you were talking about proper flight simulators. ...snip...
Thank you for that post... I actually experienced something of a physical pain when I read some of those posts you responded to...

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile

I've flown IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 on/off for around 6 years now, and I think you'd mostly wrong if you were talking about proper flight simulators. ...snip...
Thank you for that post... I actually experienced something of a physical pain when I read some of those posts you responded to...
I'm with you two on this one.
Also, back a la topic, this looks interesting. In parts in looks arcade-y, in others very realistic. And it has great damage modelling. Overall, looks interesting enough to be worth a shot for F2P.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

To quickly answer the questions before we go back on topic:
- You can't really do flight sims without a proper joystick. Luckily, they can be quite cheap. Try to get something with a twist-axis (for rudder). I've also heard gamepads work OKish, so I'd try it with that if you own one.
- I'd go for '46, since there's ALWAYS a server you can join with people. Also, Cliffs of Dover may not run on your computer and is a lot more hardcore realism-wise. Beware that there's some intensive patching required and the graphics ARE old :)

We should do an IL-2 topic around here. There's more people playing it than it seems like!

They did mention some pretty interesting damage modelling. I really hope it's not just the graphics that look cool, but that it really affects flights :) I really am rather sad about the 32 player limit though. Doesn't make much sense as far as MMO's go... perhaps they'll mod it or up it? I mean, what about formation flying with tons of planes? Love me some formation flying :)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Duuvian was kind enough to send me a message about a good budget joystick and gave me permission to post it here. I think his tips will be useful to many.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I really am rather sad about the 32 player limit though. Doesn't make much sense as far as MMO's go... perhaps they'll mod it or up it? I mean, what about formation flying with tons of planes? Love me some formation flying :)

I agree 32 players is not epic enough. I guess the problem is when you have too many players, matchmaking becomes difficult.

Also AnvilMate, you make me tempted to buy IL-2 '46... It's only $10... Must resist because I have spent too much on entertainment...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:12:49 am by BuriBuriZaemon »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

Awww, Duuvian should've just posted it here. It's definitely relevant :)

Also, BuriBuri! Let me try to dissuade you from buying IL-2 with facts!

IL-2 can be one of the the most boring games in the world. It took me several years to really get into it, and that was because I found out WW2 aviation was a passion of mine (through IL2). If you play it "for realsies", your sorties can be as follows:
0m: start engines
1m: start taxying
5m: wheels up, climbing
20m: over target area, still climbing
30m: spot some bogies in the distance, promptly lose them
35m: same
40m: spot some more, get into position, up-sun
42m: dive on them
43m: realise they are friendlies, break
50m: see 30m
1h: head back to base
1h15m: descent
1h20m: on final
1h25m: wheels down, chocks in, engine off, live to fight another day

Other than that, your first few months (or years, if you're anything like me) will be either on boring offline missions, of which 70% are spent on time-skip (i.e. looking at a black screen waiting to get to target) or getting shot down over and over again by much better players online. The less realistic servers offer something like "airquake" and you should be able to get some kills at some point :)

Playing online is one of the most rewarding experiences though, once you stop sucking completely. Especially if you find people on TS and manage to fly together, it's absolutely amazing. When my squad was active, it was laughing from start to finish, and provided some amazing moments, with formations, crashes, explossions, bombers dogfighting fighters and succeeding (rarely!), but it was just amazing.

But you have to like WW2 aviation to like the experience. More often than not there's not tons happening (unless you "airquake", and even then!) :)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting how things changed over time.
Air combat went from "fly up close and fill the other guy full of enough little SMG bullets without stalling to force him down" to "streak around at high speeds and try to land a few cannon shells" to "hear a report of an enemy plane, shriek over there at Mach 3, see a blip, fire missiles, see tiny scary blips, mash the countermeasure buttons and try to get out of the way, narrowly escape hypersonic death, go home, file a report about the enemy plane you fought but never saw".

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Snip.

Actually I may enjoy those boring moments. I am a modern history buff but I am still familiarising myself with its aviation bit. The planes of WW1 and WW2 have these nostalgic images that no modern plane has.

Probably it's because back in those days, pilots had to get close and personal to score a kill whereas today it's done by press of buttons.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

Well, IL-2 '46 has no DRM, so you can "demo" it to figure out whether you'll like it. ROF is F2P, as you noticed, so there's also that. I assume you are familiar with the DCS series - if you're into more modern stuff you will love that. DCS A-10C runs slowly on my machine, but I had a ton of fun getting to know all the weapons systems. I'm waiting until I can get a new rig to perhaps go into multiplayer!

Again though, these things take forever to get even moderately decent at. If you hang in there, it's the best thing in the world!

Which is sort of why I am excited for Wings of Prey and Gaijin's offerings. Not for myself, but most people need some more "instant" gratification. At least it gets more people interested in the genre!

It's also funny that you mention close and personal because most pilot accounts that I've read mention that they rarely felt they were fighting other men, mostly just the machines. Situations where they managed to see the enemy pilot were few, but always left very strong feelings and memories.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't like flight sims for modern day aircraft to be honest. I like WW1 and WW2 planes better. And yes, I sure hope War Thunder will bring people like me into the genre.

Anyway, about joystick, I live in Australia and the one Duuvian recommended (Saitek Aviator) is not available in Australia for reasonable prices. I only found them being sold at $80-$100... Dang Aussie retailers. And I can't buy from Saitek official store because they do not ship to Australia. Postage and shipping from international sellers cost too much due to the weight of the items.

All I could find available here are

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro $60

Logitech Attack 3 $40

How do they compare to Saitek Aviator and Cyborg?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5