Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: War Thunder: F2P aerial, ground, and naval battles  (Read 19160 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder: World of Planes - Free-to-Play MMO flight simulator
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2013, 12:51:45 am »

Global Beta keys for grab:

http://www.mmobomb.com/giveaway/war-thunder-beta-keys

And there is no more account wipes as stated here:
http://warthunder.com/en/game/faq/#q-52

Important stuff to know:
They changed the game name to War Thunder because they are going to incorporate aerial, ground, and naval battles into single game. Imagine World of Tanks, Warplanes, and Battleships combined. They started with planes I guess to steal a headstart from WarGaming because WarGaming already started with tanks.

Standard battle is "Garage Battle" meaning you pick a number of planes and when one is destroyed in battle you can continue fighting using the next plane until you exhausted all your planes.

Your crew can master multiple planes, unlike in World of Tanks where your crew can only master a single tank variant.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:56:48 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: War Thunder: F2P aerial, ground, and naval battles
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2013, 09:56:58 am »

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

I got a beta key for this a while back, but it runs kinda slowish on this rig. Fortunately, the computer is starting to break down so I ordered a new one which should be much better. It is also a little arcadey for my tastes, but I only tried the tutorial or so.

This still has tons of promise. Combined operations (air, sea, infantry, armour) is something that interests me quite a lot, and I don't think any games have yet achieved its true potential. ArmA 2 and WWII Online come close, but not quite. I dream of being able to provide close air support or air cover to close air support!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2013, 05:53:29 pm »

AnvilFolk, may I ask what's your specs? This game runs better than World of Tanks on my gaming laptop. And the graphics are at least equal although WT is still in beta. Maps are definitely larger than World of Tanks. And the damage modelling is so pleasing! This makes me believe WT has a more optimised game engine.

Yes, they only have planes but I think that's a good start. Tanks are already too associated to World of Tanks/WarGaming so they need to start with something different. Many have said this game is better than World of Warplanes too, which I also have closed beta access to.

There are already tanks and battleships in the game controllable by AI, so the art assets are already there although probably in low polycount.

The battles are really dynamic in the sense that you are rewarded for destroying/damaging air, ground (AA guns, pillboxes, tanks, trucks), and sea (ships) targets. You can also land at your team's airport to repair and rearm.

Anyway, if you're interested, after doing some research, British planes are said to be the easiest, B17s are said to be the best bomber in the game due to their massive loadout and number of turrets. I found Soviet planes to be too hard to steer somehow but liking their ground attack and bomber planes.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 06:40:48 pm »

Specs are an i5-460 or something, and an nVidia 330m. Next ones will be much, much better :) It didn't run that bad, to be honest.

I think I'll need to see how realistic it can get. I've been spoiled by IL-2... I mean, it can get frustrating, but I like to try to experience it as close as I can get virtually. I'm afraid I've become far too elitisty to enjoy many of these games :(

I just came back from a B-17 sortie where it took me 52m56s to take-off, climb to 20.000ft, form up on another B-17's wings, head to target, then get promptly get shot, engine on fire, exploding, and bail out... all this while seconds from dropping bombs. That was frustrating. My broken plane and its missing wing almost hit the target though. And I parachuted pretty close to it, if that counts!

The other bomber did his drop, which due to wind and high-altitude drop fell slightly east and missed its target, but just barely. Then he lost an engine to enemy fire, but feathered it to reduce drag, and started heading for home. He had a fuel leak and had taken 30% fuel loadout, so he ran out while still quite a few grids away at 18.000ft. He decided to try to glide across the Mediterranian to Malta! He managed half the distance and was only down to 12.000ft, all engines feathered, engine cowlings closed... the whole shebang! It looked like he was gonna make it.

I had taken off in a P-47 in the meantime and found my way to him through voice-comms, but unfortunately I was still a distance away and co-alt when some Axis joker comes after him, no matter if he's out-and-out(-and-out-and-out, since it's a 4 engined bomber...). He came in from high alt, did a quick slashing pass that set one of the B-17s engines on fire. He then zoomed back up, with me on his tail, but I had much less energy than he did. I took a few potshots, but he came back down and used his high-E to get dive away from me. He scored another pass at the crippled B-17 then dove away, me hot on his tail. In the meantime, the engine exploded on the B-17 and he had to bail out... and so close. Then the game crashed for me, which is just as well, as I'm a terrible dogfighter and the Axis plane (looked like a FW-190) would be on my tail soon enough :)

Got carried away and off-topicked quite a bit. Sorry :)

I get the feeling that it'd be hard to get these experiences from the few scenarios that I saw in War Thunder. I mean, there's a tech tree you have to unlock and go through to get new planes, and lots of updates and upgrades and up-thingies for each plane that make it better. In IL-2, if it was in the Theatre of Operations, it's in the mission and you can fly it. You can pick loadout (bombs/rockets/etc), fuel, and weapon convergence. The only thing making you better or worse than another guy is how you handle the plane and little else!

I get the feeling that, even though War Thunder will also model the B-17 as having large bomb-loads and many turrets, it's ultimately not going to provide quite the same level of realism and immersion. The fact is, it was 55m and we were just climbing for most of it, but I didn't get bored because I was having a handful controlling that B-17! Shallower experiences due to less realism make it more boring, or less entertaining since I don't get the feeling of being there.

But I'll give it a serious try as soon as I get the new rig :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:44:29 pm by Anvilfolk »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 07:52:52 pm »

That's some nice story you got there. And understandable about IL-2's unmatched immersion and realism. WT does have three modes of realism:
Simplified (using mouse and keyboard are adequate, all planes are available)
Historical (planes available are relevant to certain events, realistic flight model)
Realistic (similar to simplified but using realistic flight model)

It also offers dynamic campaigns and missions with either simplified/realistic flight model. Missions could be user-created.

So the game is quite versatile but I am sure will not match IL-2's level of realism.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 03:39:03 am »

Dynamic campaigns? I never really saw that! Where can I find more about it? I adore dynamic stuff!!! There was an IL-2 server running Lowengrin's DCG in the background once, and it was GOOD. It felt great to have a real impact on the game-world!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 04:54:45 pm »

Go to Game Mode in upper left corner and then select Mission and then Dynamic Campaign. :)

Also I love bombers and attack planes so much since I am bad at dogfighting (especially energy fighting). I am aiming to get B17 and IL-2M.

So far I noticed the following:
USSR has speed and good all rounder.
British is good all rounder and oh boy I want that Lancaster!
German starts off weak and their bombers are slow, but their Italian planes and dive bombers are good.
Japanese planes are made of paper but they make excellent turn fighter.
US planes are "boom and zoom" type due to their inability to out turn opponents.

I normally play Beaufort, Hurricane M. 1 and II (12 machine guns are awesome!), and Spitfire Mk.1. Will be adding Catalina once I hit level 5 in US tree.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2013, 07:25:23 pm »

I gave War Thunder a try again today and... it's nice... but something... just something about it puts me off... maybe it's the stupidly long load times (Seriously, I could Log in, Start a battle, get destroyed and be half way to my next battle in World of Tanks by the time War Thunder loads a single battle.) Maybe it's the fragility of most of the planes (or the stupidity of the spitfire cannons... one shot and you're dead).

I like the idea... I like how a lot of things work in it and as a flight sim, it's amazing. But it's not a fun GAME.

I'll hold off on it again for now...

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 01:05:39 am »

A slight bit off topic but does anyone know what song was on during the fan trailer?

On topic: This has much potential.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 04:29:32 am »

I gave War Thunder a try again today and... it's nice... but something... just something about it puts me off... maybe it's the stupidly long load times (Seriously, I could Log in, Start a battle, get destroyed and be half way to my next battle in World of Tanks by the time War Thunder loads a single battle.) Maybe it's the fragility of most of the planes (or the stupidity of the spitfire cannons... one shot and you're dead).

I like the idea... I like how a lot of things work in it and as a flight sim, it's amazing. But it's not a fun GAME.

I'll hold off on it again for now...

I found it to be a fresh change to World of Tanks. At least I could kill even Tier 10 planes with my Tier 2 planes. No loltractor could pull that off on a Maus.

The load time is indeed long, but the game runs better than World of Tanks, especially considering the map size and how many objects (both player controlled and AIs) are present in a battle. And the graphics at max settings are downright gorgeous, IMO.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 09:35:46 am »

I found it to be a fresh change to World of Tanks. At least I could kill even Tier 10 planes with my Tier 2 planes. No loltractor could pull that off on a Maus.

*cough* I've actually seen that happen in competition game. Not a Tier 1 Ltraktor, but a tier 2 T2 Light tank was doing scouting for the team, hid behind a rock for a while spotting a Tier 10 that was guarding the base. I can't guarantee it was actually a Maus, but it was something equally tough and threatening and IIRC, German. At some point his team caught up to him and made an attack at the front of the base and he took the opportunity to flank the Tier 10 and run up right at his butt and fill it with some gold ammo. Didn't do a ton of damage to it, but he ended up getting kill credit which caused much laughter.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 04:05:43 am »

hmm somehow the "log in" and "create new account" buttons on top of the main web default me to http://warthunder.com/en/noscript

and clicking the "TEST NOW" button gets me to http://warthunder.com/en/registration... but there the "Play for free" button to finish registration defaults me to noscript again...

thought its something with my script blocker.. but even allowing them for the web did change nothing...
then tried it on internet explorer and even there this happens...

oh well... saves me to download 8gb atleast <.<

randomly got it working somehow now
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:50:44 pm by Nelia Hawk »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »

*cough* I've actually seen that happen in competition game.

That must've been epic. There was actually a video on YouTube showing a Maus got one-shot by a Tier 1, but that was orchestrated in training room.

The point being, these things don't happen often in World of Tanks and are very situational (i.e. need to use gold ammo, target has to have low HP). However, in War Thunder, even a starter plane can pull it off. In fact, killing/being killed by planes 3-5 tiers lower is common, since even the most armoured bomber at low tier, Catalina, has 4 turrets and can take a lot of punishment, an agile fighter can still attack it from its blindspots and wear it down overtime.

In World of Tanks, even the most skilled players playing low tier tanks will find it nearly impossible to defeat bad players playing higher tier tanks, but piloting skills matter more in War Thunder. This is why I like it.

Plus in each battle, there are multiple objectives: Capture all airfields, destroy all enemy planes, destroy all ground targets, so you can win in multiple ways.

Anyway, as a beginner I would recommend Soviet and British. Soviet starter planes have deadly fast firing guns and they have early access to a decent bomber.

US have good bombers (Catalinas and B17s) but their fighters suck big time. I just got my P-40 Kittyhawk at Tier 4 and even my Tier 2 Bufallo turns and climbs better. Catalinas and 4x1000lbs bombs are awesomely good at money making, though. Going to test out A-20 Havoc, a Tier 5 attack plane tonight.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 11:03:27 pm »

bump!

Anyone else playing this much as of late?

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 11:50:48 pm »

Yes I am although I have been playing games sparsely lately.

Add me as Elsior in-game if you want to fly together. I have been focusing on USSR, UK, and USA tree.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5