Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Easiest way of training Agility? (or how to teach swimming)  (Read 3023 times)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alas, I'm trying to cross-train my military and was wondering what is the best way of raising the agility attribute? My understanding is that that Milling and Swimming both raise it, but I'm really sure on how I'm supposed to train it as that dwarves wont even go near the water and there is only some many plants that one can mill.

Any ideas?

On a side, seems that pump operating isn't raising the attributes it's supposed to, has there been a change on that?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest way of training Agility? (or how to teach swimming)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:48:46 pm »

The easiest way to train swimming is to lock dwarves in a room, and carefully fill it to somewhere between 4/7 and 6/7 full of water. They'll drown at 7/7 if they lack swimming skills, and they won't swim in 3/7 or lower. There are automated designs available that remove some hassle, but I get the feeling that there's always room for fatal error in what are essentially automated waterboarding chambers...

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »

You could set up your danger room (I expect you're using one if you're also trying to use a pump as a gym) to be surrounded by 4/7 deep water with a ramp a long way away from the spikes, so that dwarves who dodge likely fall into the water and have to swim to the ramp on the far end to get out.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:08:02 pm »

crutch walking is a great way to train agility
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 03:32:41 pm »

The easiest way to train swimming is to lock dwarves in a room, and carefully fill it to somewhere between 4/7 and 6/7 full of water. They'll drown at 7/7 if they lack swimming skills, and they won't swim in 3/7 or lower. There are automated designs available that remove some hassle, but I get the feeling that there's always room for fatal error in what are essentially automated waterboarding chambers...

That automation sure sounds rather dangerous.. But, would they actually drown if is no roof above? Does this also apply to invaders?

You could set up your danger room (I expect you're using one if you're also trying to use a pump as a gym) to be surrounded by 4/7 deep water with a ramp a long way away from the spikes, so that dwarves who dodge likely fall into the water and have to swim to the ramp on the far end to get out.

True to dat. So basically I could have something like.. a 3x7 long dander room, where the edges of the 3x part are channeled out, dropping to a water 'tank' below, with a ramp on the long edge of it leading back to the danger room.. Right?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »

Crutch walking is a great way to train agility.

How do you cripple a dwarf and have it still combat ready though?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:07:59 pm »

Crutch walking is a great way to train agility.

How do you cripple a dwarf and have it still combat ready though?

that's for later concern, one problem at a time  :D
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:26:20 pm »

So basically I could have something like.. a 3x7 long dander room, where the edges of the 3x part are channeled out, dropping to a water 'tank' below, with a ramp on the long edge of it leading back to the danger room.. Right?

I like the path to the traps longer, myself.  And you might want to make the ponds double wide... last time I tried it with a 1 tile wide pond on either side, sometimes dwarves dodged so vigorously that they missed the water, slammed into the walls and hurt themselves.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 05:02:49 pm »

I don't know if pump operating no longer raises stats but I like to set up a pump/ swimming room where the pump draws from the pool, the output loops back and washes the dwarf down the pump inlet then he has to swim a ways to reach the exit ramp. If the have to swim over about ten tiles then once he gets back out the pump's passable tile is clear of water again and the process repeats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 02:17:33 am »

That automation sure sounds rather dangerous.. But, would they actually drown if is no roof above? Does this also apply to invaders?
The automation can actually take a lot of the hassle out of a room like that. And the easiest way to automate it is to just have it fill up a smaller room to 7/7, then dump the water from the smaller room into a bigger room resulting in a bunch of 4/7 tiles every time perfectly.

As for whether or not the ceiling is required to drown someone; if you were only 6 ft tall and didn't know how to swim, and I dropped you into 7 ft of water, would you still drown? As long as it's 7/7 then it will drown people, the ceiling just insures that the water doesn't overflow and if anything does know how to swim it can still be drowned.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 03:31:18 am »

Why do you assume we'd have danger rooms if we're using pumps to train stats? Surely the danger rooms would also train stats at a much quicker pace with the military skills.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 03:48:44 am »

Wasted labor that serves no other purpose than inflating attributes implies a desire for maximum power, impatience, and no objection moves some players deride as exploitative or "cheaty" (what a stupid term).  With that kind of attitude the only reason not to have a danger room is a wood shortage, and those don't tend to last long.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 04:07:51 am »

Impatience? What? So making your soldiers work out and learn to swim is suddenly the same as exploiting the game with danger rooms? Seriously?
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 04:44:49 am »

training swimming also serves the practical purpose of preventing legendary soldiers from drowning in a murky pool that they dodged into

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 04:47:08 am »

Impatience? What? So making your soldiers work out and learn to swim is suddenly the same as exploiting the game with danger rooms? Seriously?

In each case you're getting something for nothing and that at a much higher rate than the intended method.  One method straining your credulity more than another doesn't make them functionally different.

Pages: [1] 2