Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why wont my dwarf make some charcoal?  (Read 1004 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why wont my dwarf make some charcoal?
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:51:47 pm »

Ok so i have assigned my woodburner to make a ton of charcoal, there is a dwarf who is only permitted to do just that, there is plenty of wood and there is also a bar/block stockpile for the coal.

What am i missing?

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why wont my dwarf make some charcoal?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:00:14 pm »

A wood furnace?
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:23:29 pm »

Thats all I've ever needed: one wood furnace (b e w), and at least one person with Farming:Wood Burning enabled.

Have you set up a job to make charcoal, either directly at the wood furnace or via the management screen?

* Edit: gah, I hate it when I don't the entire sentence. ;(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:11:52 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:26:59 pm »

Do you have any burrows?

Are any of the stockpiles set to only give to certain shops?

You say you "have assigned my woodburner to make a ton of charcoal." Exactly how did you do so? Did you do it via the manager? If so, has the manager approved the job yet?

If you look at the wood furnace using 'q', do you see any make charcoal jobs? Do they have red 'S' on the right end of the line? If so they're suspended. Select the line and hit 's' to unsuspend it.
Do any of them have a green "A"? If so, then a dwarf has taken the job and is probably on his way to grab a chunk of wood to bring to the shop.

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 01:39:40 pm »

I meant that i had made the furnace itself and filled it with pending charcoal, none are suspended. Neither are any active. My relevant stockpiles are at default settings. :/

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:13:58 pm »

So, which of your dwarves has Wood Burning enabled?  I think that may be the issue then.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:19:33 pm »

Make sure you have wood burning enabled, not furnace operating. I make that mistake all the time...
Feeling down? Click Here!

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »

Aaah, thats it! :D Thanks guys!

I guess ill lock the tread then.