Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Late Game Questions  (Read 1731 times)

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Late Game Questions
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:27:59 pm »

version 34.07 - Newb pack, the only thing I use hack for is drybuckets and reveal at the start. About 10 years in..about as far as I get before something wrecks the fort.

1> Why do windmills break apart?  I've had to build 3 windmills on the same spot for my millstone, but there is never wood around the area when they disappear.

2>Were attacks.  I've had 3 were creatures announced and none have gotten near my fort...  The first one was scared off by a giant parrot.  The second one drowned in a pool of water (I think, he went in, never came out but I never saw a body) and the third was driven off by a dwarven caravan.  Are they weak creatures or have I been lucky?

3> Dead Caravan Guards (all dwarves).  I've got seven buried in my graveyard but it will only allow me to make slabs for two of them. I usually build a statue, a coffin and then a slab for each dead guy.  Since I have the bodies shouldn't I be able to engrave a slab for them?  And why would I ever want to memorialize a WAGON?  I have three or four in my list right now...

4> Baron.  After tuning down the mountain homes three times, I just accepted and elevated my mayor to baron.  Other than making him a tomb, will much change? (the Wiki makes me believe not.)

5> finally Giant Thrips (whatever the hell they are)  I've captured or traded for three of them.  One vanished completely from my children's room.  One escaped from his cage, ran around for a bit and disappeared.  The third one died in its cage and I don't know why.  The cage was built in the children room and then it was back in the stockpile with the dead thrips still in the cage...  I've never tried to removed them from the cage, they weren't available as pets so how do they keep escaping?

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Late Game Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:36:58 pm »

1) Tantrums probobly, and the dwarves scoop up the wood before you notice they are gone

2) Warebeasts ime are pretty pathetic, although ive heard of them causing ware-pocolypse from spreading the curse into forts.

3) Slabbing guards is a little wonky. I know i have a few unslabbable ghosts in my fort who were guards.

4) I dont think much changes...

5) Thirps are insects with very short lifespans (less then a year iirc) and will die of old age very quickly.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 12:37:18 pm »

1. Windmills break apart if they're destroyed by building destroyers, or if the machine that supports them ceases to do so. Note that disengaged gear assemblies do not provide mechanical support (though I don't know why you'd want to turn off your millstone).

2. Werecreatures aren't really that dangerous, no. Part of the issue is that the time scale is so fast in fortress mode that they tend to transform back to their non-cursed form before they can be a credible threat, at which point they usually simply flee.

3. Dwarves not being on the slab-engraving list is a persistent bug, though I understand that it's better in newer versions. You're going to have to just coffin the guards.

4. A baron-mayor can make more demands and mandates than if they had just one position. If you chose your mayor right this shouldn't be an issue.

5. They probably just died of old age. When purchased, a thrips is at a random age of around 7 months (creatures are typically generated at 1/2-2/3 of their species' minimum MAX_AGE), and they die without fail at age 12 months.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:35:23 pm »

the thrips are probably still in the cage, check it with t to look for items (corpses) inside the cage. The one that ran away, no clue though. I think dfhack also has some fixes for dwarves not being engravable.

Wagons, except for your initial one, are counted as creatures. Since they "died" on the map, you can make slabs for them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 04:58:45 pm »

1> I don't know how anyone could destroy the windmill, the sieges and ambushes as well as the were creatures were all on the other side of the map.  Weird.

I have to look at dfhack, I don't use it much, but even though I have no ghosts, I like engraving slabs for everybody.

There was only one thrip dead in a cage.  I never thought about old age.

Thanks guys!

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 05:28:55 pm »

And why would I ever want to memorialize a WAGON?  I have three or four in my list right now...

Wagons are a fine servin beast, second only to the doggies!  The question should be "Why would ye not want to memorialize the Wagons?"!

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 06:29:06 pm »

- New Question -

I just had a serpent man diplomat pop up on the screen.  When I go look at her it also says law-giver(?) and Vampire.  So do I destroy her or talk??  She has no weapon which means she would use a venomous bite attack. My squad of 4 marks dwarves whould probably have no problem with her, they just killed a dragon!

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 06:48:10 pm »

If its the liason from your civ... DONT KILL IT! unless u want some !!FUN!! Just make sure your mayor/baron inst working and mabe itll leave without snacking first...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:41:58 pm »

Yeah, that version of DF has many merchants that hang around the edge of the map.  You don't wanna touch them in anyway.  Let the next siege dispatch them.  If they don't move off the edge, they sometimes block the rest of the migrants.  When siege occurs, and kills one, you'll see lots of civilian deaths from the migrants that merchant blocked from entering the map.  Something that has been fixed by Toady. 

If you target and kill that merchant the troops in the squad who injured it will fight the troops who haven't, and your fortress will fight with itself.  Yuck!  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 12:15:10 am »

Yeah, that version of DF has many merchants that hang around the edge of the map.  You don't wanna touch them in anyway.  Let the next siege dispatch them.  If they don't move off the edge, they sometimes block the rest of the migrants.  When siege occurs, and kills one, you'll see lots of civilian deaths from the migrants that merchant blocked from entering the map.  Something that has been fixed by Toady. 

If you target and kill that merchant the troops in the squad who injured it will fight the troops who haven't, and your fortress will fight with itself.  Yuck!  Knutor

Once again, your post, while informative and useful, doesn't actually relate to any of the questions. To further supply your post though, I'd like to mention that dfhack has a fix for these bugged migrants.

Back to the diplomat. It's actually quite common to see vampires in positions of power, though animal men are less common. If it's an envoy from your mountainhome, just talk to it normally, though you might want to conclude business a bit faster than planned. For the human reptilian representative you have the further option of lethal force. In general though, vampires from outside your fort don't snack while there unless they get to stay for a long time.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 03:16:59 pm »

Garath ??? Huh?

So I let the serpent woman in, she said nice place you got here and left.

I don't see how dfhack will allow me to add the dead dwarf guards to the engrave list.  I tried tweak clear-ghostly, but that didn't do anything because I don't have ghosts, just buried guys not on the engrave list.  I also tried running tweak makeown on the coffin but it wouldn't recognize what I was trying to do.  Seems you have to point at an actual guy to get that to work.  So I built blank slabs for them, good enough.

Thanks again.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »

yeah, that tweak is a bit outdated for most issues and was meant to clear the missing tag from people who were clearly dead but were not going to be spotted. (magma, smashed, you name it) I think.

To clear up my post, the first bit was at knutor who came in with a completely unrelated thing. He's done it before, as well as supplying completely wrong info, so he's getting a bit on my temper, sorry for that. The second part is about the serpent diplomat. I'm guessing it was a human one from the dialogue, so, see, no problems at all. If humans want vampire, strange, animal creature law givers, they can keep them. I don't think I've heard (m)any tales of them feeding in your fort even if the meeting takes a little long

edit: was going to write angrily and at length at knutor for giving wrong or off-topic info more than once (or twice, or etc, didn't make a count, but not that many times) but decided against it
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:47:25 pm by Garath »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 02:36:30 pm »

My PM works, Garath. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »

alright, a PM

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 10:15:52 pm »

was going to write angrily and at length at knutor for giving wrong or off-topic info more than once (or twice, or etc, didn't make a count, but not that many times) but decided against it
My PM works, Garath.

I wrote something, but this seemed more appropriate.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:23:22 pm by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: [1] 2