Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 1716 times)

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick question
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:37 am »

Will military dwarves on station pull levers?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:08:16 am »

no, they'll not take any civilian jobs

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:09:17 am »

Thanks for the quick response!

Okay, so I'd have to make them inactive before they pull a lever?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:15:01 am by Viking »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:14:44 am »

Okay, would I have to make them inactive before they pull a lever?

I never tried this personally, but it sounds like a plan. Why would you want to do such complicated things though?

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:19:12 am »

I have an incurable syndrome so I was going to make a tunnel with draw bridges to atom smash the squad of the afflicted or rather, get them to atom smash themselves. Also I was thinking of having a badger/capybara pit,or filled with some other type of enemy with an "airlock" style room connected to it where there are levers in the room itself that raise and lower the drawbridges. For the second bit, I may just have outside levers now. Actually in base cases having external lever pulling may be preferable now that I think about it. Either way, its good to know.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:24:20 am »

Oh, well for the atomsmashing hallway, I realize that the tile with the lever can't be atom smashed so if its a squad I suppose the puller won't die if they are military or on station and may not move off the tile soon enough. I was also going to the tunnel to atommash children since they cannot be put into squads but with manager I could control that only specific kids pull the lever. The idea would be that they'd pull the lever and walk off and be crushed within 100 ticks.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 09:32:37 am »

kids pull levers?

In any case, how horrible is the syndrome. Death or loss of motor functions or what? Perhaps they can still be of use. As you said lever pulling acts with a delay, so you could station a squad in a smash room, lock the door, make a meeting area under the bridge. deactivate squad, one dwarf pulls the lever, then moves back to the meeting area (no job).

I think threads like this are the reason some people consider DF players a little strange
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:23:10 am »

For shame. They should be garrisoned within the Caverns to deal all manner of death upon it's inhabitants.

Or cleansed with magma.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:18:56 pm »

Station them under a support trap, then link it up.  Pull it and flatten them all.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 12:30:23 am »

Station them under a support trap, then link it up.  Pull it and flatten them all.

maybe link it up first
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »

kids pull levers?

In any case, how horrible is the syndrome. Death or loss of motor functions or what? Perhaps they can still be of use. As you said lever pulling acts with a delay, so you could station a squad in a smash room, lock the door, make a meeting area under the bridge. deactivate squad, one dwarf pulls the lever, then moves back to the meeting area (no job).

I think threads like this are the reason some people consider DF players a little strange

I hope kids pull levers! lol
Sadly, the syndrome appears lethal. Eventually the dwarves collapse and turn unconscience, possibly from pain or something, as their lower extremities bloat and eventually rot. Worst is that it is contagious. See here for more details:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110879.msg3342769#msg3342769

I am sure you are well aware of the nature of this game and intended no criticism against my personal choice in solving this dilemma. The following is almost just introspection. I definitely appreciate the suggestions too.

Its a funny thing as the solution I am considering pursuing can fairly be considered barbaric the game puts me in a corner as there are not that many tools I can solve this problem with. Certainly, I'd vastly prefer a more human solution, or better yet, being able to effectively treat and cure the syndrome but it seems impossible to heal. I actually value my dwarves and am not a cruel or malignant overseer so it pains me to be so callous but, y'know, it is either a few die or they all die. :\

That said, I could possibly create a convent where I isolate all the afflicted dwarves and let them die of starvation/thirst or from their affliction, whatever happens first. I can't save them though, that is a sad fact. I fully get why these type of  occurances happen in dwarf fortress and how they can be viewed as sadistic.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:44:07 pm »

I don't think you should take that comment as criticism. This is the place where the mer-baby bone mill was designed, after all. We have, as a community, engineered the harvesting of sentient creatures for profit.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 06:00:21 pm »

I don't think you should take that comment as criticism. This is the place where the mer-baby bone mill was designed, after all. We have, as a community, engineered the harvesting of sentient creatures for profit.

Oh I absolutely didn't take it as criticsm. I hope it did not come off that way :) I meant my response to be more a meditation I guess. As in, I wish there were a different way to deal with it and its sad lol

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 04:45:15 am »

Actually the most human solution would be to wait until you have a siege and then spread the love.

The Humane solution is to put them out of their misery.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 02:34:11 pm »

The Humane solution is to put them out of their misery.
But these are not pink skins!  What would the dwarfane solution be?  Add to their misery?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: [1] 2