Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Artifact Hammer  (Read 14540 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Artifact Hammer
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 01:54:00 pm »

I am pretty sure not every combination is possible. I never had rock or gemstone or glass weapons or bone or bone anvils.

Well, we're waiting on the anvil in the hopes of solving a very important question.

That's easy for me - clearly, the first anvil was bought on embark or acquired from human caravan.
1. No.
2. If that was even a possibility, where did that one come from? Square one.
What do you mean, 'where'? From embark of course.

Don't argue with circular logic
But then, say, where did wood come from? you need wood or metal for axes. for metal you need charcoal. for charcoal you need wood. So for wood you need wood...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What did I tell you about circular logic?
Bring it from embark
Trees can be explained.
Embark, no. Anything gained from embark has to be available from the mountainhomes, otherwise it won't be available.

...Except for steel anvils.

YOU'RE ONTO SOMETHING HERE.

QUICK, SOMEONE MAKE MORE CIRCLES

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 02:04:11 pm »

I was going to post the "anti sea bear circle" video, but it seems to have been pulled from youtube. However, I found a much more disturbing video which I will now post in the WTF thread.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 02:32:49 pm »

I am pretty sure not every combination is possible. I never had rock or gemstone or glass weapons or bone or bone anvils.
You are correct - there are very specific rules which govern the possible types of artifacts produced by strange moods, currently described on the Strange Mood talk page. Granted, this was originally for version 0.34.05 (and is what led to a few bugfixes in 0.34.06) - it's possible it's changed, though it's actually rather unlikely.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 04:20:17 pm »

Well, we're waiting on the anvil in the hopes of solving a very important question.

That's easy for me - clearly, the first anvil was bought on embark or acquired from human caravan.
1. No.

But then, say, where did wood come from? you need wood or metal for axes. for metal you need charcoal. for charcoal you need wood. So for wood you need wood...
Bring it from embark
Trees can be explained.
Embark, no. Anything gained from embark has to be available from the mountainhomes, otherwise it won't be available.

Where did the First pick come from? couldn't dig to the magma sea and make metal axes without picks.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 04:39:23 pm »

1. No.

Bring it from embark
Trees can be explained.

Where did the First pick come from? couldn't dig to the magma sea and make metal axes without picks.
VIVA LA QUOTE PYRAMID!

A pick could have come from a bonecrafting strange mood.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 11:50:59 pm »

1. No.

Bring it from embark
Trees can be explained.

VIVA LA QUOTE PYRAMID!

So:
1) Naked prehistoric dwarf embarks on a volcano and gets a *wolf bone pick* from a mood
2) ???
3) Magma forges make anvils for everyone!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:50 am »

1. No.

Bring it from embark
Trees can be explained.

VIVA LA QUOTE PYRAMID!

So:
1) Naked prehistoric dwarf embarks on a volcano and gets a *wolf bone pick* from a mood
2) ???

1. Ancient kobols steals ancient bone pick.

2. ???

3.Ancient kobolds make the first caverns with bone pick.

PROBLEM?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 01:35:00 am »

edit: bah, need to keep reading before i post :P

on a side note, aren't caverns (very rarely) open to the surface, or have a pathway there?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 01:52:07 am by SharkForce »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 03:13:55 am »

Does the hammer squeak when one of your dorfs hit someone with it?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:50:43 am by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 10:14:21 am »

1. No.

Bring it from embark
Trees can be explained.

VIVA LA QUOTE PYRAMID!

So:
2) ???

2. ???

PROBLEM?
Yes. It stiil leaves the question of the first anvil.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 10:43:45 am »

if my memory serves me well, someone, once, on part of the forums, asked how usable a bone anvil would be that he got through a strange mood. Can't find it in the search function anymore though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 11:11:40 am »

They could have used stone as the first anvil?

Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 11:15:00 am »

1. No.

Bring it from embark
Trees can be explained.

VIVA LA QUOTE PYRAMID!

So:
2) ???

2. ???

PROBLEM?

Yes. Kobolds could never do such a sophesticated thing. As they are small, weak and unintelligent.
The first pick/anvil was made by dwarves that dipped ore lying around in a nearby volcano and then fucked around with it, as dwarves do, over the course of many years.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 11:28:11 am »

1. No.

Bring it from embark
Trees can be explained.

VIVA LA QUOTE PYRAMID!

So:
2) ???

2. ???

PROBLEM?

Yes. Kobolds could never do such a sophesticated thing. As they are small, weak and unintelligent.
The first pick/anvil was made by dwarves that dipped ore lying around in a nearby volcano and then fucked around with it, as dwarves do, over the course of many years.

No it wasn't. It was created by their survivors.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 04:13:21 pm »

1. No.

Bring it from embark
Trees can be explained.

VIVA LA QUOTE PYRAMID!

So:
2) ???

2. ???

PROBLEM?

No it wasn't. It was created by their survivors.
Not gotten on embark, but on reclaim!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5