Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Artifact Hammer  (Read 14509 times)

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact Hammer
« on: June 22, 2012, 07:44:01 am »

So I just got my first mood in this fort, one of the 2 children which moved in. He grabbed some Giant hamster bone, Turkey bone and Bismuth, took it all to a Craftsdwarf's workshop, and build a War Hammer! Is this suppose to happen? I always thought that the item was tied to the workshop or mooding skill in someway, but he had no skills to start with, and is now a legendary bone crafter, nothing to do with weapons.
Is this new? The wiki doesn't mention anything like this.
Thanks.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Hammer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 07:50:28 am »

bone carving moods sometimes produce melee weapons.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 07:58:54 am »

Afaik a mood can generate any item in the game made out of any material in the game. Ive had Gemstone animal traps etc in the past.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:13:23 am »

Unfortunately I think we're all still waiting on the all-important cat-bone anvil.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:16:25 am »

I am pretty sure not every combination is possible. I never had rock or gemstone or glass weapons or bone or bone anvils.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 08:16:58 am »

All of the above, plus any dwarf without experience in a moodable skill will pick, at random, woodcrafting, stonecrafting, or bonecrafting.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 08:30:57 am »

I am pretty sure not every combination is possible. I never had rock or gemstone or glass weapons or bone or bone anvils.

Well, we're waiting on the anvil in the hopes of solving a very important question.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 08:54:35 am »

Well, we're waiting on the anvil in the hopes of solving a very important question.

That's easy for me - clearly, the first anvil was bought on embark or acquired from human caravan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:31:59 am »

That's easy for me - clearly, the first anvil was bought on embark or acquired from human caravan.
1. No.
2. If that was even a possibility, where did that one come from? Square one.

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 11:13:49 am »

1. No.
What do you mean, 'where'? From embark of course.

Don't argue with circular logic

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:25:39 am »

1. No.

But then, say, where did wood come from? you need wood or metal for axes. for metal you need charcoal. for charcoal you need wood. So for wood you need wood...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:29:21 am »

1. No.

But then, say, where did wood come from? you need wood or metal for axes. for metal you need charcoal. for charcoal you need wood. So for wood you need wood...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What did I tell you about circular logic?
Bring it from embark

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 11:36:22 am »

First of all, magma forges? Mine some copper, build a magma smelter, smelt it, use it at a magma forge, axe!

Besides, wood is elfy. They probably get it from taking a tree out to dinner some time, which gives them wood. (They are elves, afterall) But anvils, no other race but dwarves could think of such a marvelous creation. And hence, the question.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 11:38:51 am »

It's turtles anvils all the way down!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 12:32:25 pm »

So I just got my first mood in this fort, one of the 2 children which moved in. He grabbed some Giant hamster bone, Turkey bone and Bismuth, took it all to a Craftsdwarf's workshop, and build a War Hammer! Is this suppose to happen? I always thought that the item was tied to the workshop or mooding skill in someway, but he had no skills to start with, and is now a legendary bone crafter, nothing to do with weapons.
Is this new? The wiki doesn't mention anything like this.
Thanks.

The wiki mentions it, though maybe in a convoluted way - for example obsidian beds, mentioned in the wiki, are made in stonemasons workshop, not carpenters. The first ingredient is important for choosing a workshop (or maybe it's the other way around, doesn't really matters), and bone items are made in craftsdwarf 'shop only.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5