Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How to disable and defeat a charging horse using a spear or alternatives  (Read 11637 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

I play Total War games and their hilarious inaccuracy as to history forces me to not comment here. :) But seriously, plant the butt of the spear on the ground, and aim for the chest. You might get crushed beneath the charging horse, but if there are thousands of other people doing the same as you, you're chances are infinitely better facing death than running.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the mongols had a tactic of gashing a horses side to cause it to run in a panic, then pretty much guiding it into the enemy lines. However, that tactic tends to reduce the lifespan of your horse a good bit eh?
Well if this is a horse being led by a mongol, you'd be better off just digging a hole in the ground and never, ever returning to the open surface.

Isnt that how we often deal with overworld issues in this game?
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

A checkered drainboard kill box. 

9x9 Alternating automated hatches over a tightly sealed pool checkered with upright pulsating spear traps.  Link it all to five separate pressure plates spaced three blocks apart, in a corridor leading to the only booze pile in the whole fortress.

Suduku is the inspiration for this design.  Number the trap with notes for added FUN.  See if your drunken dwarfs can solve the puzzle, with their footfalls.  HEH!  Knutor
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:08:39 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Well the mongols had a tactic of gashing a horses side to cause it to run in a panic, then pretty much guiding it into the enemy lines. However, that tactic tends to reduce the lifespan of your horse a good bit eh?
Well if this is a horse being led by a mongol, you'd be better off just digging a hole in the ground and never, ever returning to the open surface.

Isnt that how we often deal with overworld issues in this game?

And when has it failed?

Right.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Avoid the horse, stab it in the chest area, avoid the horse until I can get a new spear or retrieve my old one, repeat until dead or someone else intervenes. Or until I kill the horse, that's a possibility.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you do it like that

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile

I've heard that some Greek armies used big maces to counter horses, focusing on breaking their legs to disable them.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile

I've heard that some Greek armies used big maces to counter horses, focusing on breaking their legs to disable them.

Nah they just get kicked in the pit of death like everything else.

-----

Usually the best way to stop a Calvary unit from what I've read is to either involve a pike wall (not spears), disadvantageous terrain for horses, or have a hooked weapon that can pull the knight off his saddle (sometimes the knight would be strapped on to tightly and you'd get taken for a little ride if you're army failed to hold him down). Crossbows were essential though, but you'd need one or more of the above things for it to be anything other then easy pickings once the bolts hit the ground. None of these feats are easy, but the calvary unit was the tank of the medieval ages anyways.

It's worth noting that dwarves are given the short stick on the matter. Literally, they only have access to spears, and not pikes, which are considerably shorter.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

With another horse and rider.  Joust.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh and before i forget. I don't see this doing much in formations, but probably more in a skirmish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhanmadao

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

You're thinking too small.
A giant badger and rider!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're thinking too small.
A giant badger and rider!

A bronze colossus riding a giant badger wielding a dragon corpse. What were we talking about again?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Against a horse? Superbly trained war rhinocerae (?) in wedge formation, I guess.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Flying ostrich cavalry.  Show that vulture buzzard bait how you truly joust.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anti aircraft 43 mm quad linked cannons. That's how a man deals with charging horses.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4