Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: It says no distillable item, but there are  (Read 11756 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: It says no distillable item, but there are
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 02:19:52 pm »

I've been seeing lots of withering, cannot wait to try this out. 

I've noticed, my dorfs still use wheelbarrels regardless of whether they are toggled on in therapist.  If what they haul has a wheelbarrel in the stockpile, they use it, completely ignoring if haul push vehicle, is on/off.  This really screws up my stealth hunter-wood hauling tactic.

Thanks for protip.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 02:39:07 pm »

Wheelbarrows aren't vehicles. Only minecarts are, because they show up as vehicle jobs and not hauling jobs in the units screen.

What are you trying to do with the wood hauling?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 10:21:40 pm »

Wheelbarrows aren't vehicles. Only minecarts are, because they show up as vehicle jobs and not hauling jobs in the units screen.

That would explain it, so push cart, doesn't refer to wheelbarrels?  Thank you.  I try and keep a close eye on the dorfs that leave the fort to get wood.  What am I trying to do?  Pick it up and put it in a 3x9 stockpile adjacent to Carpentry, Craftdwarf and Bowyer workshops.  That it works without the haul/push vehicle makes me raise an eyebrow.  If it only refers to minecart, tell me why it uses the term vehicle instead of minecart, if minecart is all it references?  Future plans to include other vehicles.

Well eitherway, the fact that when this dwarf finishes hauling the wood, because the stockpile gets full, but still wood cut on the ground is laying about, and he goes on No Job, instead of on to one of his other skills, Hunt for instance, tells me there is something wrong with the AI.  To fix this I gotta add/remove the hauling task, from within Therapist, to keep him active in hunting.  If there is timber on the ground, he bugs out and stands around, No Job.  Strange.  Previous releases, he would make transition over into Hunt, or Butcher, or something else he's trained in.  34.11 has wierd hauling.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 12:07:55 am »

AFAIK, someone with ambush (hunt) labor would do nothing else but hunt untill out of bolts or out of targets. If he's hauling wood, either he has no bolts or you disabled the labor or you have a burrow in effect or there are no huntable animals.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

King of Blades

• Bay Watcher
  • What wonders will I see this day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 12:45:17 am »

That would explain it, so push cart, doesn't refer to wheelbarrels?  Thank you.  I try and keep a close eye on the dorfs that leave the fort to get wood.  What am I trying to do?  Pick it up and put it in a 3x9 stockpile adjacent to Carpentry, Craftdwarf and Bowyer workshops.  That it works without the haul/push vehicle makes me raise an eyebrow.  If it only refers to minecart, tell me why it uses the term vehicle instead of minecart, if minecart is all it references?  Future plans to include other vehicles.

Well eitherway, the fact that when this dwarf finishes hauling the wood, because the stockpile gets full, but still wood cut on the ground is laying about, and he goes on No Job, instead of on to one of his other skills, Hunt for instance, tells me there is something wrong with the AI.  To fix this I gotta add/remove the hauling task, from within Therapist, to keep him active in hunting.  If there is timber on the ground, he bugs out and stands around, No Job.  Strange.  Previous releases, he would make transition over into Hunt, or Butcher, or something else he's trained in.  34.11 has wierd hauling.  Knutor

A wheelbarrow is not a vehicle or a cart.  It's a tool.  If you don't want him using wheelbarrows, turn them off in the stockpile (q) options.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 07:36:12 am »

Okay.  I find it a little hard to believe its a tool, and not a cart, but I'll play along.  Seems labeled wrong.  It makes no sense when I see a kea steal one.  But I've just saw that.  How many birds are gonna fly off with a wheelbarrel.  Guess that one there!  HA.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I'll go ahead and turn back wheelbarrel to 0, and that see if that fixes things.

I didn't have this issue, prior to [34.11], hunters going no job while they could be hunting or butchering.  Plenty of ammo and game.  I made them crossbows, since they don't arrive with them, anymore.  And no they are not also woodchoppers or miners. 

Just wood haulers, ambusher, animal trainers, animal care, trapper, fish and animal dissectors and butcher.  That's what this dorf has.  And he stands there No Job, while stuff is in rotting in butcher shop like the OP issue, and stuff is flying past which he could easily shoot at.  He's got two hunting dogs which should instead be labeled comfort pets. 

Still it feels to me like the priorities are wrong.  I've got too many /R tasks sitting idle, while dwarfs with that skill are on No Job, to feel otherwise.  Thanks, Knutor

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 07:55:03 am »

have you tried removing and reconstructing the workshops? Also, you didn't say yet if you have any burrows, linked workshops, anything. You don't say much more but "they're standing there doing nothing".

As for the hunter (the only one we got any info for), if he has a quiver with bolts and hunting active he should hunt if there is something to shoot, unless he's restricted to a burrow or your game is bugged. I'd go with uploading a save to DFFD and see if someone else can figure it out or if a bug report should be made. At that, check the mantis bug tracker if someone had a similar problem with a hunter yet.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:02:35 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 04:52:40 pm »

double post, but sorry

knutor. If the problem is so serious, and so serious you feel the need to spam it in multiple threads, couldn't you make it a thread of its own? make a thread with your problem and let the great minds of DF work on it (great minds don't include me).

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 02:30:37 pm »

NP.  I sometimes do that, by accident too.  Its not a life or death issue.  But it deserves mentioning, as it relates to the inactivey of this OP's brewer, ignoring his seed stocks.  Its like the AI forgot it. 

To answer your previous question.  No burrow, only use 2 archery and danger, and they are not defined as of yet.  Only year two.  Well now I'm in year 3, but with this crazy huge migration I got, I think it'll be my last turn for this region, even tho, I've luckily got accessible obsidian to play with near the top.

No linkages.  Yes, rebuilt. 

And your exactly right.  I didn't say much more, because what more could I say.. They ARE doing nothing!  Its like this hunter will ONLY pickup wood, and when the stockpile is full, he won't switch tasks, becuase there is unhauled, haulable wood laying about...  Its similar but not exactly like the spam a weaver gives, cept I'm not getting any spam(I always roll with ALL alerts on). 

Ya know when he can't reach an explored areas webs, and autoloom keeps producing it, as the weaver goes up and down the steps, to the locked door, drawbridge, keeping him from reaching that web.  He doesn't do anything else, but go back and forth.. Same with that old loop, restraint a pet, and then put it back in pen, then back to restraint, to and fro, over and over...   

The AI in [34.11], has issues.  I uploaded the save, to DFFD, thanks for suggestion.  I'm hoping someone solves both issues.  The hunter problem, like this OPs and the Noble laziness, or at-least provides a resolvable solution.  Its not me, here.  I'm playing same I did with prior 10 versions of 34.  I change my strategy slowly and meticulously.  Knutor
Pages: 1 [2]