Author Topic: Keas!  (Read 6715 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Keas!
« on: June 21, 2012, 05:48:30 pm »

These birds are quite strong!

Is there any reasonable way to protect against these guys flying off with my stuff?  I mean I'm intending to do work outside, and somehow parrots keep swiping my wheelbarrows.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Keas!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:50:19 pm »

These birds are quite strong!

Is there any reasonable way to protect against these guys flying off with my stuff?  I mean I'm intending to do work outside, and somehow parrots keep swiping my wheelbarrows.
Crossbows, roof over storage areas and if you have hallways/doorways chain dogs in them to scare the birds away.  Keamen are worse since you cant butcher them for bone bolts to scare away coughkillcough.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:52:08 pm »

once needed almost a whole season for the traders to finish unpacking because Keas would come harrass them.  had never seen any of the birds before they showed up, and never saw any after they left.  Very strange.
Demon of Darkness

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:54:20 pm »

Ah the dreaded kea... just be glad they arnt giant.

Get some marksdwarves patroling the area. Although be ready for the surface to be a nightmere scene of blood, bird corpses and broken bolts.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 08:07:04 pm »

Ah the dreaded kea... just be glad they arnt giant.

Be very glad they aren't, because mine ARE giant and believe me, a flock of Giant Keas will ruin your whole day unless you're ready for them.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:12:01 pm »

It's nice to know that even a wrestler can take them down if they get close enough to the ground. You should probably set you stockpiles up inside if you haven't yet. 4 levels down with 1 staircase gaurantees that the get noticed before the theivery.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Spooky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 11:20:38 pm »

I got hit with a wave of flying Keamen, but they only seem to want to scare my dwarves and to get shot by my marksdwarves. Bit odd.
Now, our defense system is good, but i think it needs more bears covered in lava.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 02:24:22 am »

In my current fort I am plagued by Kea Men/Women, they are stealing my artifacts. My dorfs insist on bringing every goods bin I have outside to collect socks, so I have marksdwarves patrolling, but they cannot be everywhere all the time, especially since my last battle was a bloody mess with goblin corpses lying all over, in the far north as well as the far south of the map. I have lost two artifacts so far.
DF: where imagination beats animation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:09:29 am »

They flee from militia Dwarves. Most of the time.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:40 am »

In my current fort I am plagued by Kea Men/Women, they are stealing my artifacts. My dorfs insist on bringing every goods bin I have outside to collect socks, so I have marksdwarves patrolling, but they cannot be everywhere all the time, especially since my last battle was a bloody mess with goblin corpses lying all over, in the far north as well as the far south of the map. I have lost two artifacts so far.
Make an artifact only stockpile deep within the fortress behind airlocked doors and a constant guard of war giant tigers.
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 10:33:38 am »

They always seem to go for the weapons I embark with before I can get them inside :(

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 10:35:23 am »

Make an artifact only stockpile deep within the fortress behind airlocked doors and a constant guard of war giant tigers.

Why didn't I think of that myself? Thanks for the tip, the construction workers are on their way. But it will be a giant leopard, I have run out of tigers.
DF: where imagination beats animation

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 02:57:14 pm »

Wouldn't giant war badgers be more effective?  Or would they be too effective?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 04:53:57 pm »

Why didn't I think of that myself? Thanks for the tip, the construction workers are on their way. But it will be a giant leopard, I have run out of tigers.

Even guard kittens would be adequate, it is mainly their for the sight it grants.  if you use a 1xn or 2xn hallway to the chamber you only need a single guard animal, if you have 3xn you will need 2.
[DWARFINEERING]

ClayMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 05:08:05 pm »

HINT: They kill dogs (thats 120 Points wasted).
Pages: [1] 2