Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Would you eat this?  (Read 4733 times)

Shawarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would you eat this?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:01 am »

Anything with unicorn meat.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 03:34:15 am »

Eggs, plump helmets, quarry bush leaves and pig tallow make an excellent omelet. I would totally eat that omelet. I make omelets with mushrooms, spinach and bacon and they are super delicious!

Actually, cutting flour with shortening, oats, sugar and cinnamon, spreading it on fruit, and baking it is pretty good. That's basically roasted minced flour, with a few additions.

I thought pig tallow was made from pig fat, you would eat pure fat on your omelet?

I often make omelet with pig lard. Anything requiring frying and deep-freeing, really.

It is used very heavily in many national or traditional cuisines.

There is also a high-fat, low-carbohydrates diet, which I was using for some time (out of curiosity, not necessity), some of its dishes required even more than 50% to be fat, usually either pig lard or butter, but plant oil (rapeseed mostly) was also used. Dwarves are not that eccentric, when compared to humans.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 03:41:47 am »

Fun Fact I: polar bear meat often carries a parasite that is harmful to humans.

Fun Fact II: polar bear liver carries too much vitamin A for the human body to handle.

I got nuthin' for the shellfish or bee-products.

Edit: My fortress usually comes up with scrumptious wine and fat biscuits. :-\

Well, dwarfes are not humans.

Also, I would not mind to eat that bear meat thing, because it sounds tasty. Or not gross...

My Fortress eats only dog meat biscuits with prepared mussels.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 08:09:29 am »

I'd totally eat the polar bear thing as long as it's decently roasted. I doubt the parasites are [FIREIMMUNE] or [FIXED_TEMP]. ;D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 08:28:45 am »

^^ This.

For that matter, you could easily have stated that PIG meat frequently contains parasites that are harmful to humans.  Trichonella anyone?  That's why we cook it.

Now, if the parasite in questions happens to leave a particulary nasty toxin in it's wake, ala botulism, well, that's a different story.

I guess the only  way to find out for sure it put it on the menu of the Dwarven Daycare Center and see who survives graduates.

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 08:40:09 am »

Fun Fact II: polar bear liver carries too much vitamin A for the human body to handle.

Fun Fact III: You already have a parasite.

"Up to half of the world's human population is estimated to carry a Toxoplasma infection.[3][4]"
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:31 am »

Roasted eagle meat, spiced with sugars and marinated in berry wine, with a side of roasted bloated tubers, which by name sound suspiciously like potatoes.

10/10, would feed to Dwarves again.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 09:41:58 am »

For that matter, you could easily have stated that PIG meat frequently contains parasites that are harmful to humans.  Trichonella anyone?  That's why we cook it.
Actually, commercial pork for consumption in the US is almost entirely devoid of trichinella -- the industry actually took steps to prevent it.  Wild game meat, including non-boar sources are much more likely to contain trichinella.  Recently there has been a push among chefs to promote properly cooked pork (as in, cooked for flavor as opposed to cooked to kill off trichinella) since pork can be /even more tasty./

tl;dr: Commercial pork is almost entirely trichinella-free.  You are more likely to die of salmonella than trichinella in the US.

Vamyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 10:11:58 am »

In my latest fort, despite having access to all kind of different foods my cook made it a habit to exclusively use tallow for his roasts. Seriously. All four ingredients were tallow in various forms. My dwarfs were so happy.

I think his former job was in a cantine, and he got fired before travelling to my horrible hole in the ground.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 04:52:12 pm »

... tl;dr: Commercial pork is almost entirely trichinella-free.  You are more likely to die of salmonella than trichinella in the US.
Indeed!  I don't know if the reason in the USA is the same as Canada, but I had the opportunity a few years ago to discuss the subject at length with a provincial food inspector in Canada.  The reason pork there is parasite free, for the most part (50+ years) is that they freeze all their pork for 24 hours at -12'C before it's allowed into the production chain.

Freezing, as it turns out, also kills a large number of parasites.  I may be mistaken, but it's also why commercial fisherman are currently required to freeze their catch while at sea, and why they have such massive icemaking equipment on commercial fishing vessels. (and it's very bad if the icemakers stop working)

ClayMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 05:10:23 pm »

That sounds like a elf recipe needs minced wine in it

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 05:52:57 pm »

Dwarves are not that eccentric, when compared to humans.

I think the dissonance come from the urban diet, or North American diet where all meat is cut into very neat square pieces and utterly unidentifiable as having come from an animal. It's a very sheltered culture of cooking.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 06:43:18 pm »

In my latest fort, despite having access to all kind of different foods my cook made it a habit to exclusively use tallow for his roasts. Seriously. All four ingredients were tallow in various forms. My dwarfs were so happy.

I think his former job was in a cantine, and he got fired before travelling to my horrible hole in the ground.

I find dwarves love thier tallow... I can have stacks and stacks of every type of meat/fish/plants/sugar/booze under the sun mountian. But 9/10 times meals come out as: "Exeptionally minced kitten tallow, Masterfully minced puppy tallow, Expertly minced forgotten beast tallow..."

I guess fat-fried-fat-fried fat is a dwarven delicacy
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 07:13:43 pm »

Just for the record, bear meat is absolutely HORRIBLE in real life, most people mix it with pork and make sausage out of it if they have to eat it. Now, if it was pig meat instead of polar bear meat, that sounds pretty damn good.

Regarding tallow mixed with tallow mixed with tallow, have you ever accidently eaten a fat chunk on a rib? You take a bite and after crunching through the grilled and deep fried outside, a bunch of melted animal fat spills into your mouth. I imagine it like that and can imagine why dwarfs eat that.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:16:15 pm by mud074 »
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 07:21:15 pm »

I got nuthin' for the shellfish or bee-products.

Edit: My fortress usually comes up with scrumptious wine and fat biscuits. :-\

The wiki on this reads just like something from dwarf fortress:

"It is highly pathogenic and has a high resistance to freezing. It is encapsulated. It infects a wide variety of mammals and birds. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinella_nativa
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3