Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mining into Lava Vein safely: Not quite getting it...  (Read 10264 times)

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining into Lava Vein safely: Not quite getting it...
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 02:00:33 pm »

Fortifications now cause magma mist,

Are you sure about this one? Ive never heard of them causing mist before... although i havnt tried running magma thru a fortification. If true it could be used as a devistating weapon...

Persinally, I usually just punch i tile holes in the top of the magma sea, then plug them with a magma forge/smelter. Its perfectly safe once the forges are built, and ive never lost a dwarf with this method.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 04:27:21 pm »

Last time I did something like this I carved a fortification (can't remember if it was diagonal or not) and it worked safely for the dwarf.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 07:36:39 pm »

Are you sure about this one?
Nope.  I can't reproduce; I believe I was incorrect.  Still a fan of the bridge method though.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 09:08:41 pm »

I don‘t know why you need a pump. In every situation you can build a pump, you can simply dig the channel from above.
I don‘t know why you need a pump.
He gave you three reasons. Safe, easy, fast.

Actually I only mentioned safe :P. Fast and easy depends on how easily you can get magma-safe material and wind/water power.
The fact is, the pressure system is kinda dodgy, especially when magma is involved. In order to avoid having the magma powering my furnaces from overflowing and causing metric tonnes of !!FUN!!, I always plug the tunnel with an auto-pump, thus making sure it will never rise above that z-level. Otherwise, ramifications of my magma system might end up adding pressure to the originally unpressurized pipe.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 04:01:10 pm »

Actually at the moment you don't need magma safe for pumping magma, fire safe is good enough. If like me you always embark with metal ore (either for iron or bronze) you'll always be able to easily make a magma-pump.

And use dwarf power. It only needs to be pumped for about 10 seconds to fill the magma plumbing, and unless your plumbing is leaky it's 100% safe for the dwarvern operator.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 05:03:33 pm »

it's been a while since I needed to breach a magma source, but I always just had my miner breach using a channel command

≈▓+ ≈▓+ ≈▓+ ≈▓+ ≈▓+  ≈▓+
≈▓+ ≈_☺ ≈.☺ ≈≈☺ ≈~+☺ ≈≈+☺ ==zoom=>
≈▓+ ≈▓+ ≈▓+ ≈▓+ ≈▓+  ≈▓+

As you can see from my clever illustration, the magma flows, drops into the channeled square, and this buys the miner enough tome to get moving and grab hisself a brew.

I never lost a miner using this method (unless his escape was prevented by some other problem... oops!)

Of course, the last time I needed to do this was something like 40d or 0.31.x (I took a long break from playing DF, the minecarts pulled me back in!), so it might not be the way things work now

--edit--
made lava on same z0 ≈ and lava on z-1 ~ for clarity
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:19:17 pm by Reese »
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!
Pages: 1 [2]