Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rhinoceros modding  (Read 3653 times)

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rhinoceros modding
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:48:08 pm »

Hello, I am currently trying to modify Rhinoceros to have:
1. A decent grazer value and children who only take 3-5 years to mature instead of 10.
2. Hoofs, related hoof attacks and hoof as a butchering product.
3. Give Ivory when buchered instead of teeth.
4. Give them varying shades of gray skin-wise (not tile-wise).
5. Make them more likely to appear.

This is the first time ive tried modding raws so please bear my complete and utter ignorance.
Now correct me if I´m wrong:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Will this work or am I way off the mark here?
Many thanks in advance.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Rhinoceros modding
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:22:50 pm »

Try it and see what errorlog.txt (in the same folder as your DF executable) spits out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:39:26 pm »

Most of what you have got there looks right (though as Putnam suggested the best way to check and catch the more obvious errors is to try it and see what the error log spits out). As for number 5, thing you want to take a look at is [POPULATION_NUMBER:X]. Increase the number, and more rhinos will spawn per biome where they appear. Also if you are having trouble getting rhinos to spawn at all you might want to consider adding the [UBIQUITOUS] tag, which will ensure that they appear in every tropical savanna, grassland, and shrubland, instead of just appearing in some of them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:17:04 pm »

Alright I applied the changes and...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It seems I forgot to add [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:HOOF:HOOF_TEMPLATE]. That has been corrected. It should work now then.

As for number 5, thing you want to take a look at is [POPULATION_NUMBER:X]. Increase the number, and more rhinos will spawn per biome where they appear. Also if you are having trouble getting rhinos to spawn at all you might want to consider adding the [UBIQUITOUS] tag, which will ensure that they appear in every tropical savanna, grassland, and shrubland, instead of just appearing in some of them.
Their vanilla population number is curretly [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30] so Im buessing that means 15-30 per biome. Will the [UBIQUITOUS] tag make them too frequent or have any negative effects besides simply ensuring that they will certainly appear wherever they can appear?

Once again, many thanks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:27:01 pm »

Population Number actually is the number per region square, not necessarily the number per biome.

To truly understand what ubiquitous does you have to understand how the game chooses what creatures live where during world gen. First the game generates the terrain, say a tropical savanna. Then it draws up a big list of all of the various creatures that could live there, such as cheetahs and aardvarks and cavys and rhinos. Then it says "this is a tropical biome so I get X many species here", for example 20. It goes through the list and starts picking species to live in that biome until it hits its quota and then it uses the picked species to populate that area, leaving all the rest of the animals out. What [UBIQUITOUS] does is ensure that when the game is picking its 20 animals for that biome rhinos are always picked if they are on the list (so if it is a tropical savanna, grassland, or shrubland). This means that while there won't necessarily be more of them in any given location, it will ensure that every fort that is in rhino territory will have rhinos.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:35:51 pm »

I see now. You learn something new every day.
That is mighty useful. I will certainly add that tag to any animals I wish to have then.

Many thanks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:25 pm »

Keep in mind one last thing with [UBIQUITOUS] though, and that is that it makes the species take up one of the creature slots in every biome it can. That means that with too many species with the tag you can actually end up decreasing the species diversity in your world rather drastically, as the [UBIQUITOUS] creatures fill up all the slots before the game gets a chance to draw from the creatures without the token. For purposes of just one or two creatures though, it tends to work rather well.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 08:47:22 pm »

what if every creature with said tag had it? like every cavern 3 creature. Would they all show up?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:50:17 pm »

what if every creature with said tag had it? like every cavern 3 creature. Would they all show up?
I don't know. It's possible that every one of them would show up in every available biome (or cavern if that is the case), but it would be equally possible that the game simply picks the first X many creatures in the raws that have the token for that biome and then the remaining never spawn at all. Feel free to go ahead and test it if you want, it probably wouldn't take too long and would be a nice piece of information to add to the wiki.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:58:17 pm »

I plan on testing this theory as my mod will have various nasties in the caves that if killed drop valuable alchemy ingredients for potion making and enchanting

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:44:46 pm »

Speaking of ivory, is there a way to increase its value? Or is it linked with the tooth material template?

EDIT: Or, more broadly, make sculputres with irovy? Basically Im trying to make Chryselephantine statues.
Look them up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chryselephantine_sculpture
https://www.google.com.pe/search?hl=es&client=firefox-a&hs=ATZ&rls=org.mozilla:es-ES:official&q=criselefantino&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=598&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:49:52 pm by Friendstrange »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 11:01:30 pm »

[SELECT_MATERIAL:xxxx]
[MULTIPLY_VALUE:###]

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:38 pm »

Where does that tag go exactly?

Apologies for my ignorance.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:17:35 pm »

Anywhere in the creature.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 11:43:10 pm »

Ah I see. So I would just plonk down
[SELECT_MATERIAL:IVORY]
       [MULTIPLY_VALUE:10]

So there is no way to make Ivory itself have a higher value, just the ivory of the creature itself?
Pages: [1] 2