Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dual weilding has a purpose?  (Read 1526 times)

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
Dual weilding has a purpose?
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »

So in the words of the great toad himself creatures with more limbs/weapons will now maybe be able to perform to attacks at once I know people before have had discussions about using a blunt and sharp combo but duel weilding the same weapon before now was almost... pointless So I am very much looking forward to the next update =D
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

saurio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dual weilding has a purpose?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:01:56 pm »

I had some mild success with dual wielding dorfs before. I had them set up with hammers and swords on the off-hand. They would generally attack with the hammers, incapacitating the gobos, while ocassionally dealing more deadly blows with the swords.

But yeah, using a shield was just better and I think it'll still be even if dual wielding gets buffed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 04:58:09 pm »

Yes. Sometimes you have a Dwarf. A very specialized Dwarf, say, an elite marksdwarf. Now if that elite marksdwarf happened to say... Run out of bolts whilst fighting a large undead creature. Or maybe a master swordgoblin. Now, that crossbow would be nice for breaking the bones of both, but it wouldn't outright kill them, most of the time. And you only need to give the RNG that small chance for it to tear the upper body off from your elite marksdwarf.
And Dwarves can't exactly change weapons in mid combat.

So it helps to be prepared.

Another example:
A Dwarf that used a hammer to incapacitate goblinoids and other such creatures. For everything else, there's an axe.
A speardwarf that uses a spear to bleed out large creatures and anything in between. For everything else, there's a hammer. Or an axe.
e.t.c.
(By the way, the validity of axes to go with any Dwarf is subject to personal opinion. I like axes).

As for dual wielding the same weapon, I have a speardwarf dual wielding two spears. No more issues with weapons getting lodged. Or weapons dropped due to the damaging of limbs.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:59:40 pm by Loud Whispers »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 05:32:57 pm »

I will only see purpose on giving marksdwarfs extra weapons when we get sheats and similar stuff. If you give them melee weapons they will charge into battle without firing a single bolt.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 05:45:42 pm »

I will only see purpose on giving marksdwarfs extra weapons when we get sheats and similar stuff. If you give them melee weapons they will charge into battle without firing a single bolt.
I would disagree. In so far I've given melee weapons to every single one of my marksdwarves, all have preferred shooting over close combat until their bolt supply was exhausted.

It could be different if you gave crossbows to melee dwarves. But that's my experience.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:13:43 pm »

Suposedly this makes things like Hydras extremely deadly, and gives Ettins an extra turn to blink or bite you should they be so inclined.
Tough I dont think we will have any other multi-limbed monsters, except maybe Maneras.
And I guess Giant Desert Scorpions will now be ablle to sting and pinch you at the same time, whcih only makes me like them more.
And thats it I guess, until Toady includes Tail Swipes and allows GCS and other large insects to kick you with their legs.

But otherwise I dont see it making THAT much of an impact until Toady adds grafting to allow necromancers to make flesh golems made of arms, each one with a silver whip. Oh yes.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:24:42 am »

Yes. Sometimes you have a Dwarf. A very specialized Dwarf, say, an elite marksdwarf. Now if that elite marksdwarf happened to say... Run out of bolts whilst fighting a large undead creature. Or maybe a master swordgoblin. Now, that crossbow would be nice for breaking the bones of both, but it wouldn't outright kill them, most of the time. And you only need to give the RNG that small chance for it to tear the upper body off from your elite marksdwarf.
Personally, I've had more success solving that problem by some minor modding. Behold. (Found via a LiveJournal post detailing several reasons why that wouldn't have worked too well in real life, unfortunately, but oh well.)
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 10:49:54 am »

Personally, I've had more success solving that problem by some minor modding. Behold. (Found via a LiveJournal post detailing several reasons why that wouldn't have worked too well in real life, unfortunately, but oh well.)
I'm sure a battleaxe would fit on the end of a crossbow better.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:33:54 pm »

...Once all that's working you should be able to, for example, thrust at the same time with two daggers at one or more opponents (with various penalties etc. that you might expect from attempting that) -- stabbing both eyes or doing a double kill, that kind of thing...

Yes, dual-wielding now has a purpose. Furthermore, carrying 20 weapons all at once might be awesome if you are skilled/fast enough.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 07:24:54 am »

we might have to wait a while for that to work.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.