Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Small construction problem  (Read 1985 times)

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small construction problem
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »

Hello friendly dwarven comunity!
The game is mocking me!
I erected a tower directly over my ground entrance, so the access to the first tower level is through a tunnel from my barracks. I want to build a second tower level, but the stupid game won't let me build stairs.
It says the floor tiles are already a "construction", so there's no space for the stairs. When I remove the floor it says there's no support for the stairs...
How can I build stairs in my tower?

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
Re: Small construction problem
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:15:23 pm »

Constructions must be adjacent to another construction or on flat ground to be built. Also, adjacent doesn't include diagonals.

EDIT: Oh, and constructions means floor/wall and the like. Bridges DO NOT support constructions, they allow you to build in adjacent tiles but will cause immediate cave-in upon completing the construction. I learned this the !!FUN!! way.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:22:54 pm by Seikatsukan »
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »

an adjectant floor should let you build stairs, strange
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:31:37 am »

It says the floor tiles are already a "construction", so there's no space for the stairs. When I remove the floor it says there's no support for the stairs...
How can I build stairs in my tower?

I am assuming that when you remove the floor tile it is leaving an 'open space' there (ie, there is nothing underneath).  You can't build a stair on top of nothing, so you need to start by building something on the z-level below the removed floor tile.  The something you build can be stairs or, if you don't want accessibility between those two levels, you can build a wall on that lower z-level instead.  A constructed wall on level z-1 acts as a non-constructed floor on level z (ie, you can build constructions on it).  If you're scratching your head at what I'm saying, just try it and you'll see what I mean.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 03:56:29 pm »

I am assuming that when you remove the floor tile it is leaving an 'open space' there (ie, there is nothing underneath).  You can't build a stair on top of nothing, so you need to start by building something on the z-level below the removed floor tile.  The something you build can be stairs or, if you don't want accessibility between those two levels, you can build a wall on that lower z-level instead.  A constructed wall on level z-1 acts as a non-constructed floor on level z (ie, you can build constructions on it).  If you're scratching your head at what I'm saying, just try it and you'll see what I mean.

Wait, what? I can construct stairs on open space just fine, all three varieties of stairs. As long as it's adjacent to an accessible floor, the game lets me build them. Using 34.11 here, either my game is heavily bugged or you should get your facts straight.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 04:50:19 pm »

your game isn't bugged
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »

Yeah, you can build stairs over empty space as long as there's somewhere for the dwarf to stand.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:23:07 pm »

It's really easy to build stairs for a tower. Suppose you want access from underground to the tower. On the ground level, you build a up-down stair. "b-C-x".  Assuming that staircase is the only thing around, once it is built, you can go up a z-level and build another up-down stair. Keep repeating this process until you have stairs from underground to the top of your proposed tower.

Once the stairs are built on a level, you can build floors out from the stairs to make the tower. Around the edges of the floors, you can build walls or fortifications.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 03:30:12 am »

It's really easy to build stairs for a tower. Suppose you want access from underground to the tower. On the ground level, you build a up-down stair. "b-C-x".  Assuming that staircase is the only thing around, once it is built, you can go up a z-level and build another up-down stair. Keep repeating this process until you have stairs from underground to the top of your proposed tower.

Once the stairs are built on a level, you can build floors out from the stairs to make the tower. Around the edges of the floors, you can build walls or fortifications.

Hey, what a great tip, I must try it right away!!!
DF: where imagination beats animation

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 08:46:12 am »

You need to get a bit creative when placing the corner pieces of the walls, or you'll have a diagonal entrance for flyers. It's also advisable to build stairs on the outside up to the top to make a roof unless you plan to build it all the way up to your top limit. Flying titans thank you if you don't
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:48:54 am by Garath »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 08:48:37 am »

I advise placing the corners first, and then filling in the rest of the walls.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 08:50:30 am »

You need to get a bit creative when placing the corner pieces of the walls, or you'll have a diagonal entrance for flyers
Just build a floor out to the tops of the walls for the previous level and do the tower corners first, then do each section of wall and continue up. Your dorfs can walk on top of the previous level's walls.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 08:56:09 am »

You need to get a bit creative when placing the corner pieces of the walls, or you'll have a diagonal entrance for flyers
Just build a floor out to the tops of the walls for the previous level and do the tower corners first, then do each section of wall and continue up. Your dorfs can walk on top of the previous level's walls.

yeah, I was thinking of a raised platform that didn't stand on the lower level, that was a bit more complicated. In any case, this is why you should use walls and not fortifications, you can always carve the fortifications in it later, but you can't walk on fortifications a z level above. Much easier.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:06 am »

yeah, I was thinking of a raised platform that didn't stand on the lower level, that was a bit more complicated. In any case, this is why you should use walls and not fortifications, you can always carve the fortifications in it later, but you can't walk on fortifications a z level above. Much easier.
You actually can't carve fortifications into constructed walls, but you can just remove the wall and build fortifications there. Minor point.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39:00 am »

You actually can't carve fortifications into constructed walls, but you can just remove the wall and build fortifications there. Minor point.

since when can't you carve fortifications in constructed walls? It always worked for me before. Are you sure you're not confused with engraving?

to the wiki!
Fortifications can be built one of two ways. Firstly, they can be carved from constructed walls or smoothed natural walls by pressing designation and then Carve Fortifications. The second way is through the construction menu: First press b, then C followed by Fortifications. As with most buildings, this will require one unit of wood, stone, metal, or glass. Note that constructed fortifications do not have walkable floors above them, while carved fortifications do
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:43:26 am by Garath »
Pages: [1] 2