Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Im a newb!  (Read 1321 times)

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
Im a newb!
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:01 pm »

Well Ive corrupted the forums for months with various questions answers and other crap and have yet to start the more advanced modding

Creature.
Bodyparts.

I was hoping to get a grip on modding by modding in Lugaro (or overgrowth) style martial art master combat rabbits I have modded in civs many a time before and am getting better at it but I was hoping to make its own creature But, I cant mod creatures :'( Any begginer advice? bodyparts baffle my mind
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Im a newb!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:59:48 pm »

Acaully Bodyparts and creatures are the easy parts. You can stare at some of the vanilla ones Toady has provided, and see how they are set up. NOTE how an UPPERBODY has no CON (connections) to anything. Because UPPERBODY is the core and everything must be connected to it. So a UPPERBODY must be defined first, in the body plan and the creature's [BODY:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:etc..]

But the hardest part is layers, tissue layers, lovely tissue layers. And Materials, and Body detail plans which can make adding materials and tissues easier as well as plastering your layers on the bodyparts.

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:08:36 pm »

Right Thank you so... How do you do tissue layers than ??? =) thank you hugo
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:22:09 pm »

Well There is a bunch of ways, after you master how to make custom bodyparts and modify creatures to how you want them you can do tissues/materials this way

TEMPLATEs there are two files "material_template_default.txt" and "tissue_template_default.txt"
Inside the creature you can call these templates with
USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:<custom id>:<Template_ID>]
USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:<custom id>:<Template_ID>]

or you can go full custom by using
MATERIAL:<custom id>]
TISSUE:<custom id>]

but that is harder and in some cases redundant, since when you call a template you can alter it's internal workings directly below the call

Or you can use a Body Detail Plan such as STANDARD_MATERIALS and STANDARD_TISSUES
they ADD in templates for you so you do'nt have to do all the work in the creature

also

in the creature you can put the tissue layers on by hand
TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY/BY_TYPE/BY_TOKEN:<respected BP caller>:<tissue custom id>:<location>] note location is optional if not left out it will default to layer/cover?
TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY/BY_TYPE/BY_TOKEN:<respected BP caller>:<tissue custom id>] this works aswell as mentions above

or the easier way is with a Body Detail Plan like VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS in which it takes 5 tissues (5 is the max a BDP can handle) and layers them unto bodyparts the accept the ARG#
UPPERBODY is SKIN FAT and MUSCLE so ARG1-3

with this you can easily and quickly paint your layers over the creature.